Gransnet forums

News & politics

Remembrance flowers

(9 Posts)
EllanVannin Thu 08-Nov-18 18:52:23

Marigolds-----how lovely. " The Marigold Hotel ".
Over 1.5million Indian soldiers and their personnel served in the 14/18 war. Sikhs and Gurkhas were requested because they were better fighters.
The Gurkhas had a raw deal in this country before Joanne Lumley stepped in with her campaign for better treatment towards them.

Anniebach Thu 08-Nov-18 18:34:49

The Poppies are for all

MaizieD Thu 08-Nov-18 18:33:13

have not since been treated equally with all the others.

But it doesn't alter the fact that poppies, not marigolds, grew in Flanders fields where the troops died.

nigglynellie Thu 08-Nov-18 18:16:08

The poppies are for EVERYONE!

Baggs Thu 08-Nov-18 15:30:59

The article I was reading today seemed to be saying that the Indians who fought on the side of the Allies were not then and have not since been treated equally with all the others.

MaizieD Thu 08-Nov-18 12:13:32

I've no great problem with this idea but it does divorce the symbol from its original conception. The poppy was chosen because it grew in profusion in the fields where these men fought, died and were buried and is worn in remembrance of all who died in the conflict.

POGS Thu 08-Nov-18 10:30:42

Baggs

I remembered the use of the Marigold flower when watching the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge touring India.

anhttps://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/India-Remembers-flowers-with-marigold-wreath/articleshow/51818565.cms

' NEW DELHI: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge laid a wreath at India Gate on Monday to honour the 74,000 Indians who served and died in the First World War. But there was something even more remarkable about the solemn gesture: it sounded the bugle on a grand national remembrance project called India Remembers, which is being helmed by the United Service Institution of India and partnlered by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

TOI was the first to report last month that the marigold would be adopted as India's symbol of remembrance ,
independent of the red poppy used by the rest of the Commonwealth. The royal wreath was made of marigold in deference to India’ s choice. The wreath card had a personal message from the royal couple: “Never forgetting those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for India".

I think the use of the marigold is a new thought and I don't in all honesty believe the Indian nor other countries are forgotten but they hold their own ceremonies too to remember.

ninathenana Thu 08-Nov-18 07:08:32

I agree baggs

Baggs Thu 08-Nov-18 05:51:10

This morning I have come across the idea of making the marigold a flower of war remembrance for the Indians who fought in the World Wars. They have been dubbed the Unremembered when compared to Allied soldiers of other nations and have not received recognition for their sacrifice until recently.

I think it's a good idea for marigolds to sit alongside poppies at the Cenotaph.