Gransnet forums

News & politics

Poppy displays

(10 Posts)
winterwhite Sat 10-Nov-18 11:11:50

I’m amazed at the creative displays of handmade poppies we’re seeing. I imagine, though, that very few of them were made by men, which makes me wonder about the informal ways for men to contribute to the occasion in their communities, since the dead being commemorated were so predominantly men. I find the whole thing curious - not without a touch of envy, because the poppy making must have been such fun - but there is something here that escapes me.

Btw, is the same thing happening in France with cornflowers?

lemongrove Sat 10-Nov-18 11:33:54

Saw a lovely display on the church gate in Hexham, wish I had taken a pic of it.
All done by women am guessing Winter either church congregations, WI or craft groups.

Alygran Sat 10-Nov-18 11:35:08

In my village men have been helping with getting displays up and making statues etc. They contributed to an exhibition in our village hall including the 13 men who went to WW1 and returned. Tomorrow they will be responsible for beacon lighting and fireworks! An example of the shared art work is in the picture here

Nannarose Sat 10-Nov-18 12:46:21

Yes,men have been involved in our local displays.

paddyann Sat 10-Nov-18 12:52:49

Spotlighted this year was the fact that 26% of Scots who went to war in WW1 died as opposed to 12% from the rest of the UK .Thats a horrific figure .It was deemed wise to send them in first because their uniforms with kilts were frightening to the enemy ,apparently "large scotsmen in flying tartan coming at them with pipes playing in the backgound" was a scary thing.
There were villages who lost most of their young men .

nanaK54 Sat 10-Nov-18 13:12:43

Primary schoolchildren have made the poppies that surround our village war memorial

mcem Sat 10-Nov-18 14:00:30

I may have posted this elsewhere. Local church display with lots of help from all agegroups.

MiniMoon Sat 10-Nov-18 17:57:25

The display here is in Brampton, at the Moot Hall. The poppies were knitted and crocheted by local ladies. There are names of the 67 fallen attached to the poppies. This is my great uncle.

Scribbles Sun 11-Nov-18 18:06:17

This is St Andrew's church at Kirton-in-Lindsey, Lincs. I think they're beautiful.

At Saxilby, just outside Lincoln, they've covered the war memorial with knitted poppies.

I half-heard references to this poppy knitting project earlier in the year and, to be completely honest, thought the notion a tad strange so I just shrugged and forgot about it. Now, I wish I'd got involved. Oh well ... Maybe, in another 100 years?

lemongrove Sun 11-Nov-18 18:10:14

Lovely pics, thanks for posting.smile