Gransnet forums

News & politics

Police Funding for Madeleine McCann

(120 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 14-Nov-18 00:42:00

I am dreadfully sorry for the parents of this little girl and absolutely understand their determination never to give up the search for her. However, a total of £11.75m has already been spent by the Metropolitan Police on this case and they have now been allocated a further £150,000 in government funding.

When Theresa May was Home Secretary she set up a special unit to look for Madeleine McCann. It seems to me that this situation is untenable in a period of time when our police are severely underfunded, and I believe there is also an issue of justice. No other missing person in this country has been afforded the same degree of police and government resources and that cannot be right.

Chucky Fri 16-Nov-18 10:40:45

Having a child is the greatest gift a parent can ever receive but also the hardest and most time consuming one. A parent finds their work and social life is especially affected, unless they hire a nanny or babysitter, or unless of course you are like the McCanns and do neither, but just go out and leave your children alone. I do not think Madeleine was kidnapped from her room, why take her when there was a younger sibling? Mrs McCann admits that Madeleine had told them she had woken up the previous night and cried out for them. Of course they didn’t respond they were out enjoying themselves without her. To admit that they knew she had woken and cried out for them and then to go out again the next night is shocking and an act of criminal neglect. To leave a door open, to make it easier to check on her, is NOT looking after her! Madeleine probably woke up and went looking for them. What happened next we will never know. Maybe she was then abducted as she wandered alone looking for them or she fell in one of the many places where work was being done and is buried there. Whatever happened, this poor child was left without anyone to look after her, she was very clearly neglected and so were her siblings.
Perhaps it is guilt that it was THEIR fault this happened, that has made them carry on looking for her for all these years. If only they had paid for someone to look after their children, after all these are well off parents who could easily afford the few pounds needed for this.
The facts are, the children were left alone....
They were not within sight.
They were not within hearing distance.
They knew Madeleine had woken up the night before and had been upset.
The door was left open.
They were out enjoying themselves, only bothering to think about their children periodically.
Their daughter went missing
They do not agree they were being irresponsible.
IF THEY HAD ACTED AS RESPONSIBLE PARENTS NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED.

Anniebach Fri 16-Nov-18 10:09:26

I hope the siblings don’t blame their parents as many of the public do.

folly22 Fri 16-Nov-18 09:53:56

I feel for Madeleine’s siblings and wonder what their lives have been like since she disappeared.

Smileless2012 Fri 16-Nov-18 09:44:51

Yes Annie they should be.

Anniebach Fri 16-Nov-18 09:10:12

And parents of 12 year old little girls who are subjected to drugs and alcohol should be prosecuted for neglect

harrigran Fri 16-Nov-18 09:00:49

I have always had an uncomfortable feeling about this case, why were the parents so convinced she was kidnapped ?
Any child can leave by an unlocked door as proved by newspaper articles reporting children wandering streets in pyjamas.
If the McCanns wish to carry on searching that is their right but they must now fund it themselves, in fairness to all the other missing children.

NfkDumpling Fri 16-Nov-18 08:31:21

Exactly Eloethan.

Iam64 Fri 16-Nov-18 07:57:42

As ever, well expressed Eloethan .

PECS Fri 16-Nov-18 07:54:50

Agree with that thought * Eloethan*

Eloethan Fri 16-Nov-18 00:11:36

I do not agree with the criticisms aimed at the McCanns and the unpleasant speculation surrounding their daughter's disappearance.

I quite understand why the McCanns will always wish for resources to be allocated to the search for Madeleine. I think most parents would feel like this. However, I do wonder why this particular case appears to attract more resources than other missing children cases and whether it is really fair that it does so.

Anniebach Thu 15-Nov-18 22:19:03

Definately but with some youngsters on drugs and or alcohol, no support at home, not fogetting the children who leave care. There is a shortage of foster parents too.

PECS Thu 15-Nov-18 21:52:30

And even if they did the kid still needs help .

Anniebach Thu 15-Nov-18 21:49:20

So wrong but if a family with problems and a child in their teens it is assumed they ran away

PECS Thu 15-Nov-18 21:29:55

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/child-kidnap-and-abduction-increase-as-crimes-come-under-greater-scrutiny-10062014.html

There are regularly cases of kids going missing. They may eventually be found..but not all.

Chucky Thu 15-Nov-18 21:00:40

They should have been prosecuted for child neglect and social work should have been involved to judge whether they were fit to be left looking after their other children.

Gonegirl Thu 15-Nov-18 14:03:44

I too think keep searching.

Gonegirl Thu 15-Nov-18 14:03:12

I think it is simply because she had such an appealing face. And one police officer has probably become fixated on it.

Teetime Thu 15-Nov-18 13:39:33

Its a local issue here and when I see Mrs McCann in the shops my heart goes out to her. Keep searching I say - as a country we waste money on far less worthy causes.

Anniebach Thu 15-Nov-18 13:02:29

class had been brought into it on this thread .

JenniferEccles Thu 15-Nov-18 12:56:32

lemongrove Exactly.

Imagine a couple from a council estate, on benefits, being treated with as much sympathy from the press.

It wouldn't happen would it?

To me, class shouldn't come into it when we judge what they did in leaving those children alone, not just once, but every night. Unbelievable.

maryeliza54 Thu 15-Nov-18 12:55:28

Gosh * lemon* I did touch a nerve didn’t I? Jolly mean of me to aggressively ask you for facts to back up opinions isn’t it? So inconvenient. I hardly think that lack of replies from you will impinge on the slightest on me. No need to apologise dear!

lemongrove Thu 15-Nov-18 12:44:55

Sorry MaryE but I have come to the conclusion that all your aggressive posts on GN are not worth replying to.

felice Thu 15-Nov-18 12:43:33

Sorry ask.

felice Thu 15-Nov-18 12:42:35

I was not going to come in on this thread but, we used to live in this part of the Algarve and it always shocked me how many British people seem to be very naive when holidaying abroad.
Mant times I would as couples sitting in the bar where their children were, commenting 'did you get a babysitter from your rep or through reception'. Many times the anwser was 'oh no they are all asleep'.
I would then ask if they often left the children on their own at home?
They were always horrified at the suggestion, sometimes even getting a bit agressive.
One man even said, 'we are British we look after our children'.

maryeliza54 Thu 15-Nov-18 12:38:11

Perhaps lemon you could tell us what you based your thoughts on re the child of a supermarket worker and provide a link to the case they informed your erudite opinion?