Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit agreement

(17 Posts)
crystaltipps Fri 23-Nov-18 15:57:54

Of course this is just a leaving settlement - it’s not a trade treaty - that’s many more months ( years ) of negotiations.

Cindersdad Fri 23-Nov-18 15:39:23

Theresa May has put a lot of effort into getting the worst of all worlds. She never could do right by Northern Ireland and Gibraltar. I really hope that either we get no Brexit or Public Vote with a choice between Remain and whatever deal they have managed to get. Leave was always going leave us worse off which TM must believe whatever she says. Public Opinion coupled which a change in the demographic of the electorate means that a vote knowing the fact would choose remain. Simply calling Brexit off without a vote could cause Brexiteers to get upset and cause trouble. To quote arch Brexiteer David Davis "A democracy ceases to be a democracy if it cannot change its mind", he conveniently forgot this sentiment when it meant changing its mind about Brexit.

Fennel Fri 23-Nov-18 15:07:02

Thanks Petra - I'll look at that.

MaizieD Fri 23-Nov-18 14:39:33

With reference to the IEA you might find this interesting, too, Baggs

twitter.com/UE/status/1023652614225965061

It's here, too, if you don''t like links to twitter: unearthed.greenpeace.org/2018/07/29/a-hard-brexit-think-tank-offered-a-prospective-us-agribusiness-donor-the-chance-to-influence-its-report-on-green-brexit/

'Unearthed' is a Greenpeace website; I hope it's reputable enough for you.

petra Fri 23-Nov-18 13:29:02

Fennel
You might view 'Leave Means Leave' as a biased organisation but they have read the document and broken it down for everyone to understand.
If you are interested search Leave Means Leave, Your Right To Know.

Fennel Fri 23-Nov-18 11:59:33

"Like all MPs, I assume they have a team of junior ministers and civil servants to translate this massive document into bullet points simple enough for the Ministers to read."
To be fair, the document was prepared by lawyers so is probably in Legalese, which only those trained in law can understand.
Jeremy Corbyn was reported to have said he hadn't read it, when he actually said he hadn't read all of it.

varian Fri 23-Nov-18 11:51:41

Business leaders have expressed private concern that Theresa May's Brexit blueprint is "not a good deal" amid an ongoing backlash against the prime minister's plans.

Leaked internal emails from the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) cast doubts on the body's public support for the draft Brexit deal, in a fresh headache for the prime minister, who is stepping up efforts to sell her deal to the public.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-brexit-deal-eu-agreement-business-cbi-leaked-emails-council-summit-a8647906.html

GillT57 Sat 17-Nov-18 10:50:56

These sorry individuals are only looking out for their own careers, what a bunch of untrustworthy, self serving individuals they are. Like all MPs, I assume they have a team of junior ministers and civil servants to translate this massive document into bullet points simple enough for the Ministers to read. What a bloody mess we are in.

Smileless2012 Sat 17-Nov-18 10:40:45

No I haven't read it varian but if I were an MP I would read it before deciding whether or not to accept it.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Nov-18 20:38:38

Sorry but we should be either fully in or totally out, not a fudge of in/out.

This is not the Hokey Cokey but the future of the UK!!

varian Fri 16-Nov-18 20:31:52

I have not read the 5 or 6 hundred page document. Have you?

I trust the many reports of its contents to tell me that in order to continue frictionless trade, we must obey EU rules without having any say.

It is obvious that that is a much worse deal than we have now, however, it is a better deal than a "no-deal"scenario which would inflict horrendous damage on our country.

Smileless2012 Fri 16-Nov-18 13:16:12

Quite right GG. It beggars belief varian that for more than 2 years you've been insulting leavers for voting for something they knew nothing about, and now appear to advocate that MP's make a decision to vote against something they haven't even been bothered to readshock.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Nov-18 13:12:04

They should read it, think about it and then decide whether or not they agree or not.

The Conservatives are all over the place at the moment, but I am 100% certain that Corbyn and his cronies would be a hell of a lot worse!!!!

Smileless2012 Fri 16-Nov-18 13:00:59

Of course they need to read it varian it's a complex 500 page document and if they can't be bothered to read it or feel they lack the intellectual tools required to understand it, they shouldn't be in politics.

It's the back stabbing, self serving politicians who are inflicting "fresh injury on British financial services" and on the country as a whole.

varian Fri 16-Nov-18 10:54:49

You don't need to have read it to see its effects

"Political chaos inflicts fresh injury on British financial services"

uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-finance/political-chaos-inflicts-fresh-injury-on-british-financial-services-idUKKCN1NK1LA

yggdrasil Wed 14-Nov-18 11:37:06

There has been enough leaking of the contents for those Brexiteers who would rather we fell off the cliff than compromise in any way. Most MPs I have heard have said they will wait for the details, but the media keep pushing them

dragonfly46 Wed 14-Nov-18 11:33:31

What do people think of these MP's who have condemned the Brexit deal without even reading it!!