Gransnet forums

News & politics

Where has Nadine Dorries been the last two years?

(14 Posts)
Nonnie Mon 19-Nov-18 09:53:52

She is telling us that the deal means we won't have a voice, no MEPs etc. Do we get the MPs we deserve?

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nadie-dorries-slams-brexit-deal-leave-remain-jk-rowling-a8639216.html

Parsley3 Mon 19-Nov-18 10:01:33

She’s been busy writing novels.

MiniMoon Mon 19-Nov-18 10:03:06

grin The mind boggles!!

And this is a serving MP!

MaizieD Mon 19-Nov-18 10:12:11

I mentioned this on another thread, nonnie; zero response grin

Twitter had a field day with it, though!

Do we get the MPs we deserve? Yes, I think we do.

I think a long history of neglect of any sort of Civic education, so leaving our young people completely uninformed about our political system and system of governance, plus our first past the post electoral system which leaves huge sections of the population feeling that their vote is meaningless, generates a lack of interest in, and knowledge about, the effects that a party's policies will have on the country, and leads to 'tribal' voting which allows any monkey wearing the right colour rosette to be elected as an MP.

At least we're not quite as bad as the USA where, in the recent mid term elections, a corpse was elected... hmm

Nonnie Mon 19-Nov-18 10:19:51

Sorry Maizie must have been one of the threads I didn't read or a post I missed. At least we think alike on this.

Yes mini she has a responsible job representing her constituency, difficult to believe. I'm pretty sure she i s not the only one who hasn't a clue.

varian Mon 19-Nov-18 10:20:17

She's been on TV a lot in the last two years, extolling the wonders of brexit.

Joelsnan Mon 19-Nov-18 10:23:44

What she was referring to was the fact that if we accepted the current half in, half out deal on the table we would have to obey EU rules and regs without any representation to change anything that may be detrimental to UK
Why any sensible politician would wish this scenario on the UK is beyond me

gillybob Mon 19-Nov-18 10:24:02

'tribal' voting which allows any monkey wearing the right colour rosette to be elected as an MP

I have always said that a monkey could easily be elected in our town MazieD providing he was wearing a red rosette .

Nonnie Mon 19-Nov-18 10:28:12

Joelsnan. Do you think she was explaining that to the viewers she thought were too dim to have realised already? It sounded to me as if she thought she was being profound.

Do you think we have 'sensible' politicians? I am doubting that now, the whole thing is beyond any kind of reason as far as I can see. A Belgian was on the radio this morning being interviewed about the situation and his answer to most of it was that the UK had to sort it out. He was so reasonable and kept stating the blindingly obvious which seems to have bypassed so many of our MPs.

Joelsnan Mon 19-Nov-18 10:35:51

Same here gillybob I was born in a mining village and even my well educated (one having studied politics at uni), well travelled older sisters vote Labour without ever considering the manifestos etc. They would vote Labour no matter what. The village is still strongly red (as a result of Margaret Thatcher). I am a bit of a political tart and vote for whichever party most closely meets my views at election time.

Nonnie Mon 19-Nov-18 10:46:47

We should all be 'political tarts' if we care about our country joelsnan. I don't like my MP's views at all and won't vote for him but then I might not vote for his opponents either. It wouldn't be the first time I had written 'I Abstain' right across my ballot paper!

Joelsnan Mon 19-Nov-18 10:49:41

Nonnie
No I do not think we have any sensible or statesmanlike politicians.
I personally think we have too many private school and direct entry MP's who have moved straight from uni. into jobs as parliamentary researchers etc., and are then adopted by a constituency party they have nothing in common with, and (purely because they wear the rosette of the largest volume of voters) they get elected.
Also I feel as a result of a lot of legislation being formed by EU and ECJ the UK parliament UK politicians have become 'flacid', do not have the ability to robustly work on behalf of their constituents and as Brexit has shown many act on their personal thoughts rather than the mandate voted by their constituents.

crystaltipps Mon 19-Nov-18 10:59:16

5% of our legislation is from the EU so can’t really blame the EU for us electing such a bunch of numpties. Nadine Dorries is even more clueless than Dominic Raab when it comes to anything important.

maryeliza54 Mon 19-Nov-18 11:02:10

There are many constituencies ( the majority?) where any monkey with the right coloured rosette would be elected - I live in a blue one. It’s the fault of the FPP system