Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Queen's been married to Prince Philip for 71 years

(23 Posts)
LyndaW Tue 20-Nov-18 12:22:18

Don't you think they've managed their private lives so well over the years? Must be so hard on your relationship being in the public eye. I wonder how many times they've had to go to an engagement and she's been wishing she could thwack him with her handbag. grin

MaizieD Tue 20-Nov-18 12:29:03

Blimey!

kittylester Tue 20-Nov-18 12:32:34

Crumbs!

maryeliza54 Tue 20-Nov-18 12:34:27

Well if you live a long time and stay married that’s what happens - probsbly helps not having to do the shopping, cooking, cleaning, worrying about money or NHS waiting lists.

tanith Tue 20-Nov-18 12:45:09

I’ve been watching The Crown on Netflix and have been left wondering just how they’ve managed in private all the very public dilemmas they’ve faced or whether the whole thing is now just a sham? I hope not!

EllanVannin Tue 20-Nov-18 13:13:55

It makes a big difference when you've got all and sundry running around after you as well as having so many areas of " escape " when husband gets on your nerves.

Anja Tue 20-Nov-18 13:21:06

Where is Prince Philip?

glammanana Tue 20-Nov-18 14:00:59

I wonder if he has a man shed like my OH goes and frequents when he gets on my nerves grin

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Nov-18 15:01:14

Philip spends a lot of his retirement in a “cottage” in the grounds of Sandringham, Norfolk.

luluaugust Tue 20-Nov-18 17:06:16

Surely must help that they have never had to live together 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

mrsmopp Tue 20-Nov-18 17:14:55

That's why they have lasted so long.
They hardly see each other!

Day6 Tue 20-Nov-18 17:21:32

They have always had separate bedrooms, haven't they? She did call him her 'rock' not so long ago, didn't she?

As others have mentioned, their life and marital arrangements probably bear little resemblance to ours.

I think Phillip has done his duty and been a good consort over the years but behind the scenes I imagine they both did their own thing quite happily. They seem like strong characters. They won't be rowing over expenditure or mucky bathroom sinks or turning the heating up or down or whose turn it is to walk the dogs.

I imagine duty played a huge part in keeping them together and for the rest of the time they didn't get on each others nerves for long enough for any differences to be an issue.

trisher Tue 20-Nov-18 17:21:56

Maybe marriage years for Royals are like dog years and humans, so 7 years equals 1 year of an ordinary marriage, which means they've just passed 10 years! After all they probably spend less time together than the rest of us.

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Nov-18 17:48:24

I thought that about DH and me trisher as he spent so much time working away.
Probably 51 years = about 27
now he's watching telly and I'm on here

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Nov-18 17:49:52

I wonder if he has a man shed like my OH goes and frequents when he gets on my nerves
that certgainly helps glammanana grin

JenniferEccles Tue 20-Nov-18 18:01:57

Well they have had their fair share of life's ups and downs like the rest of us (and before anyone says it, yes I do realise they have never had to worry about money)

Three of their children have divorced, one ex daughter-in-law died in tragic circumstances, and as LyndaW said, all in the public eye.

On the whole I would say they have coped very well.

I don't imagine anyone on here would envy their 'goldfish bowl' life.

Jane43 Wed 21-Nov-18 10:54:52

I like the dog analogy trisher and I think Prince Philip was kept on a very long lead! I remember my parents having conversations about him in the fifties which always stopped when I was around. Having said that their marriage is a great achievement not to be underestimated.

trisher Wed 21-Nov-18 11:12:44

Not a shed but a choice of palaces must help
"Where's hubby?"
"Well last time I saw him was at Sandringham, but I believe he's in Balmoral now. So he won't be in for tea!"

travelsafar Wed 21-Nov-18 12:16:33

I wonder who sent them a card when they hit 70 years of married life, apparently for every year after, the queen sends you an anniverary card!!!!

sodapop Wed 21-Nov-18 12:36:01

I think they have a closer relationship than we suppose. Philip often amuses the Queen as well as annoying her, just like any other marriage really. They have adapted to a unique way of life and I don't envy them life in a goldfish bowl as JenniferEccles said.

SueDonim Wed 21-Nov-18 12:38:12

Haha, Jalima, same here! I've been married for 46 years but have only spent about half that in my dh's company.

Prince Philip was photographed a couple of weeks ago driving his carriage racing outfit at Windsor, while the queen was out on horseback.

Years ago, PP upset our dog with his carriage and horses! He was staying near where we then lived and one Sunday morning our little Spaniel set up a terrific barking. I went to investigate and she was up at the window, going bananas at Prince Philip and his entourage, who'd stopped in the road outside our house for a breather. Our little Cavalier was stoutly defending us against erstwhile intruders! grin

Anja Wed 21-Nov-18 12:38:56

trisher ?

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 12:47:43

SueDonim grin good dog!