Gransnet forums

News & politics

Climate change - twelve years to go?

(12 Posts)
EllanVannin Sun 16-Dec-18 09:39:18

I've always had a bee in my bonnet about the needless felling of trees.
Unless a tree is decayed and a danger, leave the damn things alone.
There's never flooding in the rainforests because of the trees, but in many countries including our own very small country trees are being chopped down to make way for highways, roads, housing, industry, furniture, paper and people wonder why we have the floods that we do.

Recycling includes our furniture as well as everything else. Good solid old furniture can be re-designed by craftsmen, can't they ? This is furniture which lasts a lifetime. My nearly 100 year old iron-framed sold oak headboard bed will still be here when I'm not. We are such a throw-away society that I see as obscene and which all adds to the blot on the landscape of our climate. If folk invested in the best furniture they wouldn't be so quick in getting rid of it so easily thus saving a few trees.

How much longer will we have left before landfill sites are saturated. What about gases emanating from these sites ? Methane being one of them. We are nothing but a dumping ground for the needless heaps of garbage around our towns and countryside. What of the mounds of old car/vehicle tyres ? How are they disposed of ?

AlieOxon Sun 16-Dec-18 08:55:30

Cooling....uh? Look at the records! (a joke??)

Today's news: www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46582025
And important though it is, it isn't at the top of our news headlines....
Not enough is being done and not fast enough

grannypauline Tue 11-Dec-18 23:15:25

3rd possibility - global cooling

But I do agree that we should cover all eventualities and disturb our poor planet as little as possible. It's not too difficult nowadays to harness green energies and build and live sensibly.

Elegran Sun 09-Dec-18 18:36:36

What on earth is wrong with hoping for the best but doing all within our power to guard against the worst?

If we spend too much time getting objective reports from everywhere we may have no time left, when and if it comes to the crunch, to do anything to reverse it.

There are two possibilities -

1) that the IPCC are right (even if they are simplistic) and in twelve years it will be too late.
2) The IPCC are wrong, and all will be well.

If the first possibility occurs, we will be up the creek without a paddle. Taking measures then will be no use.

If the second possibility occurs, there will be no problem and we can all relax, but taking measures to guard against it will have made the earth's atmosphere a nicer place to live.

Simples.

AlieOxon Sun 09-Dec-18 18:07:47

And these comments....
www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-46496140/climate-change-why-are-governments-taking-so-long-to-take-action

Let's not let this thread lapse!

grannypauline Wed 05-Dec-18 22:53:42

There is MUCH MUCH more to this than the simplistic reports of the IPCC.

I KNOW it's all polarised into left and right, but it never should have. I think we must try and approach the subject as objectively as possible - get as much info as we can from both sides.

Have a look at this debate:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVXHaSqpsVg

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Dec-18 15:11:55

sorry, the other link didn't work:
www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/28/ultimate-bogs-how-saving-peatlands-could-help-save-the-planet

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Dec-18 15:11:30

I saw something the other day, it could have been on Country File, about wetlands and peat bogs which was interesting; the sphagnum moss and other plants absorb and trap carbon.
[[]]

If countries still continue to use coal-fired power stations then we need to find measures to counteract the carbon, instead of chopping down swathes of forests etc.

We can do our little bit but the world has to work together to combat this.
www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jan/31/world-carbon-dioxide-emissions-country-data-co2

notanan2 Tue 04-Dec-18 14:43:46

Generally it seems to me that the people who care the most are the people who can do the least about it.

The people who could afford to make a difference arent interested and are still taking cruises, flying long haul just for fun, and driving routes that have alternative transport.

notanan2 Tue 04-Dec-18 14:40:45

The "1%" are responsible for the lions share and they dont care they think their privilege will buffer them from catastrophe. There is very little difference the ordinary person can make (not a reason not to try)

silverlining48 Tue 04-Dec-18 14:12:50

Yes it is concerning, people are generally more aware now but whether what is being done is enough is another matter.
It’s in all our interests for this to be taken seriously.

AlieOxon Tue 04-Dec-18 12:17:25

You may not think much about it it yet, but it's getting SERIOUS

secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/cop24_100_clean_loc/?cWhgHib