Gransnet forums

News & politics

I predict.....

(466 Posts)
Anja Fri 07-Dec-18 13:04:07

Theresa May will lose the vote on Tuesday.

Do you agree?

And then what will happen next........let’s see whose prediction is the closest. Perhaps let this thread run about 2 weeks and see who got it right, or nearly right.

Declare a winner just before Christmas.

Over to you ?

petra Mon 17-Dec-18 18:39:36

Oldbatty
Friends in France say it's not so easy to work on the black market as it is here.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Dec-18 18:32:47

Sorry that post was to ilovevheese

oldbatty Mon 17-Dec-18 18:32:21

Ilovecheese, the link is paying taxes. The asylum seekers I know don't want to stay in France because they are despised.
Unfortunately some of them cling onto the notion of a Britain from another era.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Dec-18 18:31:48

I was answering a post from oldbatty at 17.03.

I have no idea why she bought up asylum seekers, why don’t you ask her?

petra Mon 17-Dec-18 18:28:10

I see that the growth forecast for Germany has been lowered to 1.5-1.6 % for 2019.
The IMF predicted our growth for 2019 at 1.5%.
That's not good for a country that's the 'power house' of Europe. Added to that gloomy forcast is the fact that Germany have pledged to take up most of the monetary loss by us leaving.

Ilovecheese Mon 17-Dec-18 18:26:17

Grannygravy What have asylum seekers got to do with the EU?

Ilovecheese Mon 17-Dec-18 18:24:28

Petra It's just that so many people say that they didn't vote leave because of immigration.

mcem Mon 17-Dec-18 18:00:34

Interested in the list of brexit possibilities as shown on morning news.
There were 5/6 options including No Deal and Managed Deal. Is this an admission that No Deal implies chaos and mismanagement?

trisher Mon 17-Dec-18 17:50:42

petra there isn't any planning for anything just cuts.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Dec-18 17:49:32

I think that asylum seekers should seek "asylum" in the first country they arrive in. As opposed to paying charlatan people "runners" to get them to the UK.

oldbatty Mon 17-Dec-18 17:03:21

GG, you say you welcome anybody as long as they pay tax. What about asylum seekers who are not allowed to work?

petra Mon 17-Dec-18 16:51:47

Ilovecheese
Simple question: how would you plan for housing, schools, hospitals, nurses, GP's, state pensions, police, if we have absolutely no idea how many people are coming into our country.

Nicenanny3 Mon 17-Dec-18 16:45:10

Of course free movement is an issue how can you Leave the EU and still have free movement and not control your own borders it's ridiculous.

Ilovecheese Mon 17-Dec-18 16:34:36

Mrs May seems to think that stopping free movement is of vital importance. Perhaps if more leave voters would tell their MPs that they didn't vote leave because of immigration, she might not have free movement as a 'red line' and find it easier to negotiate a deal.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Dec-18 16:29:35

trisher, whilst I agree with you that it has been repeatedly reported that these are the reasons some people voted leave. I stand by my post that I personally do not know anyone who holds these views.

I would feel extremely uncomfortable in the company of someone who held those opinions.

trisher Mon 17-Dec-18 16:19:07

Joelsnan I think it is probably true that when we first allowed EU migration many things were not set up to cope. I think things have changed and the NHS and other bodies are much more informed and active now.
One of the areas that the lack of immigrants is having a huge effect on already is the care sector. Finding care staff both for home and residential care is already difficult and will get worse. Thiis will of course have a kick back effect on hospital wards unable to discharge patients.

Joelsnan Sun 16-Dec-18 23:50:42

The majority of people have no issue with immigration what does create issues is uncontrolled immigration.
I would imagine that there are few migrant Brits who have not added value to the countries that they have migrated to through employment or buying and upgrading properties. Because of language issues there are few Brit migrants of the labourer type employee working in Europe. I have no knowledge of how the benefits work for Brits living or working in Europe. I understand that although many Europeans come here to work the additional benefits available to them is a good incentive to them to relocate.
I worked as a midwife when free movement was opened to an Eastern European country. The maternity unit’s workload increased exponentially due to ladies coming over to ‘relatives’ already here, who were pregnant and were to give birth in U.K. because it was free. We didn’t check anything and provided translators where required.
When I worked overseas I was admitted to the country on an employment visa to take up a specific job. When the work concluded I had to return home, there was no option to remain. There were employees from numerous countries and from labourers to CEO’s all employed on work visas and all understanding that they had to go home at the end of their employment.

mcem Sun 16-Dec-18 23:33:06

So in future they are in a win win situation.
If we have a shortage of vital workers e.g. in care or construction it'll be just fine because we'll have fewer immigrants and that decrease could mean a brexit box can be ticked.
If more people are on zero hour contracts that's ok as you only need to be employed a few hours a week to be taken out of the unemployment figures so the statistics will be fine.
If the housing shortage continues that's fine as we won't have falling property prices to deal with.

So as long as you live in that distorted selfish society which is growing fast, you'll be happy with what brexit achieves and "de'il tak the hindmost!"

trisher Sun 16-Dec-18 22:57:22

But it was GG13 who told me that she didn't know anyone who held the views I posted. And the bits about education and health have been given as reasons by many leavers. I actually forgot housing which is the other one. The problems are all of course the result of the government's austerity policies but blaming immigrants is much easier.

mcem Sun 16-Dec-18 20:26:21

Yes it's GG54 who objects to "immigrants from certain countries" and we're waiting to hear which countries they are.

Fennel Sun 16-Dec-18 20:17:18

There's a small supermarket on the main road, just around the corner from where we live.
They have a banner which says 'Polish, Slovak, Czech, Romanian, Turk, Kurdish and Hungarian foods.'
At least they're trying.
Further along, shops for Halal, Hindu, Sikh and Kosher food.
Chacun son gout.

MaizieD Sun 16-Dec-18 18:56:16

I think the GGs are getting mixed up here. It's GabriellaG who's being asked by oldbatty which immigrants she objected to ('immigrants from certain countries' were Gabriella's words, I believe)

GrannyGravy is innocent as far as I can see...

GrannyGravy13 Sun 16-Dec-18 18:48:01

I welcome anyone to the UK who is willing to work and pay their taxes.

oldbatty Sun 16-Dec-18 18:08:53

to be fair to GG, she didn't say she objected to certain groups. I also admire anyone who will discuss such matters openly. What I can't stand is all the closet racists.

trisher Sun 16-Dec-18 18:00:46

So perhaps you can say what sort of immigrants you don't want GG13? personally I have no objection to anyone living and working here, no matter where they were born.
But all of the things I have posted about education and health have been used as a reason for stopping immigration and leaving the EU.