Gransnet forums

News & politics

Emergency debate tomorrow

(106 Posts)
ayse Mon 10-Dec-18 21:21:41

Is this farce never going to end? What a mess!

Granny23 Fri 21-Dec-18 10:08:44

Labik I am surprised that you can hear the SNP MPs as they are usually drowned out by the braying and rude comments from the Party opposite.

The big difference is that almost all the SNP MPs have worked in the real world (e,g, as teachers, lawyers, farmers, a surgeon, etc). Until recently no one hoping for a career in politics would have chosen the SNP as a route to the top. Now the competition is fierce with excellent candidates vying for nomination in every seat.

With the exception of Mhairi Black (who proved her credentials during the referendum campaign) no one comes straight from Uni into a cushy number as MPs assistant, then a candidate and then an MP, without any experience outwith the world of Politics.

Labaik Wed 19-Dec-18 19:56:24

Yet again I'm impressed by the SNP MP's speaking during the debate...

Anniebach Wed 19-Dec-18 19:54:43

Vsrian I take no blame, I voted remain, my interest in Scotland is equal to Scotland’s interest in Wales

Fennel Wed 19-Dec-18 19:49:09

"Granny23- "A simple vote by MPs to rescind Article 50 will finish it off. It is clear that there isn't an solution that will deliver the EU referendum result without causing harm to the UK"
If only - lets hope and pray.

varian Wed 19-Dec-18 13:20:11

OK if you insist you can share the blame, but I am disappointed in your lack of interest in the Herald. You might benefit from reading it now and again. Just try googling it.

I disagree with some of the views expressed but strongly agree with the comment posted by Granny23- "A simple vote by MPs to rescind Article 50 will finish it off. It is clear that there isn't an solution that will deliver the EU referendum result without causing harm to the UK"

Anniebach Wed 19-Dec-18 13:02:38

Varian This Welsh person has no interest in a Glasgow publication , and Wales voted leave too

varian Wed 19-Dec-18 12:00:02

Yes * Annie* it was largely due to leave voters in England that we are in this mess and very few English folk are likely to read these sensible comments in the Herald which is published n Glasgow.

trisher Wed 19-Dec-18 11:26:45

It amazes me that people can excuse the inadequacies and the horrors that have resulted from this government's policies. As charities try to cope with the homeless this Christmas, the NHS is overstretched even before the winter rush really begins, schools are underfunded and foodbanks are offering more supplies to get people through Christmas there are people on here slagging off Corbyn and posting offensive inaccuracies. All I can think is that you get the government you deserve and most on here deserve the shower we have. The sad part is that they are prepared to ignore others suffering purely because they subscribe to right wing propaganda.

Anniebach Wed 19-Dec-18 10:57:56

English people Varian. ?

varian Wed 19-Dec-18 10:55:23

How do we get more English people to see the sense in this?

Granny23 Wed 19-Dec-18 10:19:48

From a comment in today's Herald in response to an article condemning Jeremy Corbyn's lack of leadership as Leader of the Opposition.

"It is an interesting conundrum: the way out of this mess is indeed clear and the irony that it was Scottish politicians who opened it up is rich. A simple vote by MPs to rescind Article 50 will finish it off. It is clear that there isn't an solution that will deliver the EU referendum result without causing harm to the UK (and indeed Europe as a whole). A hard Brexit is the worst of the lot (though the "news" that the Army is standing ready is political pantomime at its worst: the Army is always standing ready to support the Civil Power). Only remaining in the EU safeguards people's living standards and rights. By all means let the Brexiters continue to work on plans that can deliver the referendum result but they have to credibly show how the Irish situation can be resolved and to show how Brexit can be achieved without significantly frightening the economic horses."

Iam64 Tue 18-Dec-18 19:14:19

I'm not a fan of Jeremy, I'd rather have a Labour leader who has broader appeal to the electorate. I'm not fearful of the Labour policies - I'm pleased the LP continues to try and highlight the reality in this country. That is that the austerity agenda is destroying and devastating our public services. That the poor, sick and vulnerable are being devastated in the same way.
Homeless amongst children has increased by 50% since this government was elected. I could go on but those who agree with me that a Labour government can only be an improvement on the current lot, won't shift their position. Neither will those who can only say that JC is a Marxist and who fail ever, to address the issue of the fact that as the 5th richest country in the world, we should be (and many of us are) ashamed of the levels of homelessness, the increase is mental health problems, etc etc.
Brexit is dominating the headlines, whilst the country falls apart.

varian Tue 18-Dec-18 18:50:48

The Government’s handling of Brexit just becomes more farcical each day as we approach the big vote on Theresa May’s Brexit deal next week.

www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/17276756.fair-point-brexit-deal-saga-becomes-more-ridiculous-each-day/

Of course we know now that TM cancelled the "meaningful vote" because she knew she would lose it and now says it will happen in a month's time. She is a serial liar so how can we believe her? She seems hellbent on driving us off the cliff if she cannot have her own way. She puts her party before her country and puts herself before her party.

Grandad1943 Tue 11-Dec-18 23:26:27

As stated, why would Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour party want to launch a vote of no confidence in the Theresa Mays government when the Tory MPs are most likely going to do that out for them. If they should carry out the foregoing that may well destroy the Conservative party as a single identity.

The electorate would most certainly take a very harsh view of the Conservatives taking up to a month to elect a new leader while Britain is in the middle of the largest crisis this nation has faced since the second world war.

All the above would enable Jeremy Corbyn to take some very large steps towards Ten Downing Street without him or the parliamentary Labour party doing or saying anything I feel.

MaizieD Tue 11-Dec-18 23:19:19

Whoops, apologies blush

A leadership challenge isn't a confidence vote, is it?

maryeliza54 Tue 11-Dec-18 23:05:16

Ad that’s where it should come from- it’s their mess and they should own it.

MaizieD Tue 11-Dec-18 22:06:32

Well, it looks as though the confidence vote may come from May's own party. I'm seeing on twitter that there is a strong possibility that the 48 requisite letters have been received.

More rocks ahead for the tories, I think...

Anniebach Tue 11-Dec-18 20:04:00

He has been saying for sometime he wants a general election

Fennel Tue 11-Dec-18 20:01:30

" JC will talk about a vote of no confidence but he knows he has not got the numbers to win"
Has he even talked about it?
To win in a general election, probably not.

Davidhs Tue 11-Dec-18 19:52:14

I can only echo Grandad, the Labour MPs are a fairly moderate lot it's the party members that are the problem they are never going to elect a moderate leader. In addition they are going to try to deselect moderate MPs, making labour even more unelectable.

That has nothing to do with the current mess, TM is not going to resign she knows the Tories are not going to try to remove her because she will win an election and nobody credible wants the job anyway.
Assuming the Brexit vote is lost, JC will talk about a vote of no confidence but he knows he has not got the numbers to win.
The EU are going to say with some force take it or leave it no more talk, whoever is PM.
To break the deadlock a second referendum is likely
STAY or LEAVE

All bets are off on that!.

Fennel Tue 11-Dec-18 19:37:43

As Anja says.
McCluskey and Corbyn both know that extremity won't work in this desperate situation.
Nor would they want it to at this stage. I think that's why JC has held his tongue.

Anja Tue 11-Dec-18 19:25:04

Good post Grandad

Anniebach Tue 11-Dec-18 19:06:05

The Labour Party with Corbyn as leader has Labour MP’s booted out of the party if they disagree with him. Female MP’s threatened with rape. Protection for a female MP who happens to be a Jew when she attends the Party conference.

A hit list of Labour MP’s published.

This is democracy?

Grandad1943 Tue 11-Dec-18 18:43:32

Many in the Labour movement hold Marxist/communist views, and I can see nothing wrong in that providing they do not attempt to "impose" those views on others

Len McCluskey has been outright in stating he holds communist views, but during his term as General Secretary, the Unite Union has become far more democratic in its structure.

The Labour Party with Corbyn as leader is also far more democratic in its structure which has allowed the grassroots activists to have far greater input into policymaking.

I believe that more than thirteen thousand attended the Labour party conference this year through more than four hundred and fifty main meeting and fringe events

Hardly sounds like a Marxist dictatorship party to me.

MaizieD Tue 11-Dec-18 18:31:23

just a question to all who seem to believe Corbyn will carry out his manifesto

Firstly, no government ever carries out all of its manifesto, so no-one would be surprised. But I'm curious to know what part of the manifesto you think would be dropped.

Secondly, if Corbyn tried to exceed the current very centrist manifesto I suspect that he would be opposed by his parliamentary party and may be subject to a no confidence vote.

Thirdly, if the country didn't like what Labour was doing they could vote it out at the next election. Though sadly, because of the tory machinations, they'd have to wait a number of years to do it.

Fourthly, the civil service can be very adept at 'modifying' party's policies when drafting bills or just advising them on what is possible.

Of course, the tories are busy showing him the way to sidestep and marginalise our sovereign parliament, so he might find the Marxist Revolution everyone predicts, far easier to achieve than it might have been. grin