Gransnet forums

News & politics

Paddy Ashdown

(25 Posts)
varian Sat 22-Dec-18 20:58:53

Many will be sorry to hear of the death of Paddy Ashdown, leader of the Liberal Party then the Liberal democrats. A great man, so inspiring, who showed true vision and leadership.

EllanVannin Sat 22-Dec-18 21:02:34

Yes it's a sad time for his family. RIP.

Anniebach Sat 22-Dec-18 21:03:12

I am sorry

RIP

M0nica Sat 22-Dec-18 21:15:00

He was a remarkable man who would have reached the highest echelons in all his professions had he stayed in them long enough. As it was he chose to make his mark in politics.

Had he adjusted his principles a bit to fit into one of the other parties, he would certainly have been in the cabinet, possibly a Prime Minister but he was a man of principle. Something lacking in all parties at the present.

Perhaps his greatest achievement was his work in Bosnia, which saved lives and helped bring peace to that area

As a long time member of the Liberal Democrats, I grieve his loss and my thoughts and prayers are for his family.

MawBroon Sat 22-Dec-18 21:30:28

Oh dear sad
He was a colourful character - no angel (Paddy Pantsdown) but immensely loved keable and streets better than any of that showervwecsee today.

MawBroon Sat 22-Dec-18 21:31:04

“Likeable”

Alima Sat 22-Dec-18 21:36:49

A good man. A Royal Marine. His poor family. RIP.

Bridgeit Sat 22-Dec-18 21:38:44

Very sad to read of this .

annodomini Sat 22-Dec-18 22:06:58

A great loss. He was a man who knew what leadership is. I met him a couple of times. He had a firm handshake and made eye contact with everyone he met. He would have made an excellent Foreign Secretary (not many of our politicians have a thorough knowledge of Mandarin) or even Prime Minister. Probably not always easy to get on with, but inspired respect, even when his affair was revealed by the press.

StillGame Sat 22-Dec-18 22:22:36

I felt very sorry for Charles Kennedy and always preferred him to Ashdown.

I seem to remember that Ashdown’s biggest achievement was starting a trend for draping his jacket over his shoulders when being interviewed on Parliament Green one summer and then accusing other politicians of copying him.

I felt he left the leadership because he fully expected the Lib Dems to lose seats in the next election. Kennedy took up the poisoned chalice and actually gained seats leading to the biggest liberal contingent in the Commons since around 1923 or so. Then Kennedy got hounded out and they are back to. Dozen or so MPs.

MaizieD Sat 22-Dec-18 22:27:47

Very sorry to hear of Ashdown's death.

M0nica Sun 23-Dec-18 08:12:22

I find it sad that so many of the tributes here and in the media concentrate on one lapse in a lifetime of service. Let he/she who is without sin cast the first stone

Riverwalk Sun 23-Dec-18 08:30:55

I agree Monica. It's a pity that the witty/notorious Sun headline has so stuck in the collective memory whenever Ashdown's name is mentioned.

Nothing so memorable was headlined about John Major's affair with Edwina Currie and I suspect when he dies it won't get much of a mention, as the memory of him will be that of a dull, grey man in a suit.

sodapop Sun 23-Dec-18 08:38:45

I always thought he would have made a great PM. A very interesting man and principled.
I agree with MOnica Paddy Ashdown made a mistake that should not be our abiding memory of him.

oldbatty Sun 23-Dec-18 08:41:27

When you look at the fools we have these days, he seems like a much safer bet.

lemongrove Sun 23-Dec-18 09:05:50

His best work was in Bosnia, where he did an excellent job.

Jane10 Sun 23-Dec-18 09:20:43

A good chap. I fully agree with the comments on Charles Kennedy too. Interesting that so many good politicians worthy of respect were Liberals/ Lib Dems.

sunseeker Sun 23-Dec-18 09:37:54

Yes it is unfortunate that there will so much focus on his affair but as I recall he didn't try to deny it but owned up to it and accepted he had made a mistake - how many other politicians would have done that? I don't share his politics but I always respected him R.I.P

Nelliemoser Sun 23-Dec-18 09:42:53

RIP Paddy Ashdown. deserving of respect for what he has done.

Grammaretto Sun 23-Dec-18 09:54:42

I was sorry to hear this news.
He came to our town, signed a petition I was hawking and shook my hand firmly.
I hoped he'd go far in politics as he was a cut above the usual mould. He seemed reliable and dependable.

BlueBelle Sun 23-Dec-18 10:23:48

I agree with most posts on here a good man who seemed a genuine chap and they don’t come round very often His work in Bosnia is deserving of lasting memories
Haven’t any of us made bad judgements in personal lives ? I know I have

nigglynellie Sun 23-Dec-18 10:41:41

I agree completely with what you say BlueBell. Which one of us hasn't behaved foolishly ? A person should be judged by their whole life, not just for one or two unfortunate or even fortunate events.

paddyann Sun 23-Dec-18 10:45:40

I think its fair to remember the real man rathere than a sanitised version.I absolutely detest the trend of turning people into saints when they die,even if they were real nasty pieces of work.
I do think Paddy Ashdown had potential as a politician that wasn't fulfilled and could have been a decent PM ,certainly better than some we've had /have .I dont think he had staying power and he wanted a rapid assent and when it didn't work as he wanted he moved onto something else.
However his affair affected that only he could tell ,but I'm sure he will be remembered with affection by many of his party and the public .I too was a Charles Kennedy fan ,but he was flawed too and not destined for the top ,maybe the Hof C subsidised bars should be closed to stop good politicians drinking themselves to death .

Jane10 Sun 23-Dec-18 12:14:47

I agree Paddyann. The houses of Parliament are only offices/places of work. We don't expect subsidised bars in our offices so why should MPs/MSPs have them.
One wonders how things might transpire without such easy access to alcohol.

varian Sat 29-Dec-18 19:00:34

The late Paddy Ashdown had a regular theme on the shifting ground of international relations. Here is he at his thoughtful and fluent best, speaking in Brussels in late 2011:

www.markpack.org.uk/157136/paddy-ashdown-the-global-power-shift-tedx-brussels/