Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sister Wendy

(17 Posts)
Deedaa Thu 27-Dec-18 16:35:41

It made a refreshing change to see a nun enthusing about Stanley Spencer's pubic hair! A true original!

Labaik Thu 27-Dec-18 15:54:16

Lachlan has made some really interesting programmes for BBC4.

PECS Thu 27-Dec-18 14:37:48

I agree with the need to have a personal response to a piece and thatsome experts are less effective communicators for those of us with very basic knowledge of art /art history!

Jane10 Thu 27-Dec-18 14:14:57

I really enjoy going to art galleries and have attended various talks and lectures. I've been a bit put off by certain lecturers though. It's interesting to hear the background of a painting but I need that inexplicable emotional reaction to a painting that I can't be told to feel.
Recently a local gallery had Lachlan Goudie along to talk about his work. (He's the one from that BBC painting competition we love to hate!). He was a very nice young man and it was interesting to hear the background to his various paintings. I quite liked some of them but not enough to buy!

PECS Thu 27-Dec-18 12:31:15

Understood Jane10smile
I found her style mildly irritating. I have very little art knowledge but I have attended some good curator talks at different art galleries and found their expertise about the available materials, political & social era, subject of the art work etc very helful in understanding different art. Some I still dislike but at least I understand it better!

Jane10 Thu 27-Dec-18 12:23:50

Sorry PECS I meant art experts not all experts! It's people 'liking' art that they are told is good or great that I found Sister W such a good contrast to. What she said was really her opinion not necessarily one that she'd been taught. As I said, she was refreshing.

PECS Thu 27-Dec-18 10:40:46

Jane10 what have you got against experts? I use them all the time: my GP, the electrician, the authors of the books I read erc etc! It is an odd "Trumpian" trend to dismiss those with expertise and knowledge as a waste of space! Sister Wendy was actually an expert ..a first class degree from Oxford and an expert communicator..and ecpert at making her audience think she was just looking at a piece af art and expressing a spontaneous opinion! A clever woman!

Charleygirl5 Thu 27-Dec-18 10:02:14

Thank you- I would have missed her death if it were not for GN. I agree with all the above, she will be missed. RIP.

Jane10 Thu 27-Dec-18 09:10:18

We loved her programmes. She was so enthusiastic and spontaneous. She said what she genuinely thought rather than paraded knowledge of art learned from others. So refreshing in this age of experts. RIP Sister.

BeeWitch Thu 27-Dec-18 09:02:29

What a talented lady, so much enthusiasm and knowledge. She was a delight to watch.

Eloethan Wed 26-Dec-18 23:18:42

She seemed like a really lovely, wise, calm and kind woman. 88 doesn't seem that ancient to me these days but she said she'd had a wonderfully happy life and I think that probably quality is better than quantity.

M0nica Wed 26-Dec-18 20:43:05

She was 88 and had lived a good life.

My aunt was a nun in the same convent in the 1930s. Although she was asked to leave after a few years because she did not have good health and they considered the very austere life they led too much for her.

allsortsofbags Wed 26-Dec-18 19:17:40

RIP Sister Wendy

I loved her programs, I learned so much.

Cherrytree59 Wed 26-Dec-18 18:44:43

Oh dear how sad, a lovely lady.

RIP Sister Wendy ?

wildswan16 Wed 26-Dec-18 18:44:15

That is sad to hear. She always came across as such a talented and interesting lady. She spoke about art in a way which nobody else has done.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 26-Dec-18 18:31:49

Oh I adored Sister Wendy and her art programme how sad.

RIP ?

Anniebach Wed 26-Dec-18 18:28:44

Sister Wendy who made a series of tv programmes on art
Has died, age 88.

RIP Sister