Gransnet forums

News & politics

Millions given to shipping company with no ships!

(95 Posts)
Anja Mon 31-Dec-18 06:21:55

Proof (if you still need it) that this government is run by a set of incompetents who have totally lost the plot

No Brexit deal awarded to ferry company who owns no ships and has never run a ferry service

Grandad1943 Thu 03-Jan-19 19:08:38

Bonnie, the hazardous substances the shipping company could be dealing with would fall under the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Legislation (COSHH). In that, it is part of the regulations encompassed under the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and those handling such substances are subject to the most stringent monitoring and control measures applicable under the above legislation. Those substances can be liquids, powders, vapours radioactive material or any other substance likely to cause injury to the health of any person in the vicinity of such substances.

Thankfully the ship this company are chartering (i believe) is a roll on roll off ferry (Ro-Ro) and therefore the road haulage companies using this ship will be well experienced in the monitoring and transport of such materials even while it is on board the vessel.

However, I did read today that this so-called shipping company has copied its terms and conditions to customers from the website of a pizza delivery company. Therefore, whether they will know where Folkestone or Ostend is and in which direction the ship is proceeding may be another matter.

You could not make this up, could you? grin

Grandad1943 Thu 03-Jan-19 19:13:38

Sorry Nonnie your name came up as Bonnie again on the dictation.

NotSpaghetti Fri 04-Jan-19 11:37:06

Re the fast food company, yes Grandad1943 my point exactly.

Nonnie Fri 04-Jan-19 13:40:38

Yes Grandad I know there are regulations, I'm just not convinced they will be followed! Nothing about Brexit has given me confidence. As we both say you couldn't make it up!

varian Fri 04-Jan-19 18:06:43

We absolutely must not sleep-walk into any kind of brexit, let alone a catastrophic "no-deal" even if the majority of Tory party members want it.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/04/most-tory-members-would-choose-no-deal-over-may-brexit-plan

crystaltipps Fri 04-Jan-19 18:30:02

Yes unbelievable,that it’s terms and conditions were copied and pasted from a fast food outlet, plus it had the total of £66 in the bank.

varian Fri 04-Jan-19 18:33:31

There is so much about this brexit nonsense which any sane person would find unbelievable.

Lazigirl Fri 04-Jan-19 18:47:36

Just heard a joke on News Quiz Grayling standing on the cliffs of Dover shouting "I do believe in ferries" grin

Labaik Fri 04-Jan-19 22:07:40

Is it true that the dredger is Dutch and that we don't even have a dredger to use?

Grandad1943 Fri 04-Jan-19 22:11:14

I do feel confident that hazardous material on these ferries will be secure provided it remains under the control of the haulage companies and the trucks retain a driver with the vehicle throughout the crossing.
The drivers operating vehicles with freight that come under COSHH regulations have to retain a "Haz-Chem" licence on top of their LGV driver qualification.

Therefore, in the above, it would be imperative to have such persons on board the ferry rather than just having a driver leave the vehicle on the ferry at the embarkation port and another take over the vehicle at the arrival port, as can be the case.

In regard to heavy delays at the ports commencing on the 30th of March, then I feel the recent statement by the RHA should be taken notice of. In that, the Hauliers representative advised that it is highly probable that little or nothing will happen in the first few weeks following Brexit, simply because nothing will be fully prepared.

However, the EU Commision would soon come under pressure from the remaining EU member states asking why Britain is still enjoying all the full benefits of membership without having any of the obligations.

It is then the RHA feel that checks and severe delays through the ports would commence.

However, throughout the holiday period, neither the RHA or the FTA have made any statement in regard to recent government announcements with reference to additional ports and ferries being brought online as far as I am aware. When those haulage companies representative organisations do comment on the foregoing, that I feel should be taken great note of, for the RHA have been "Spot on" in all they have stated throughout this growing crisis.

petra Fri 04-Jan-19 22:47:11

Labaik
There's every possibility that the dredger is Dutch. But I can assure you that we have dredgers, my Godson is a captain of one.

NotSpaghetti Sat 05-Jan-19 00:07:04

Grandad1943 - If you track what happened to the ferry I think you will find it was brought back from hazardous waste to general use so the checks should have already been done.

Labaik Sat 05-Jan-19 12:16:43

But we obviously don't have enough.

petra Sat 05-Jan-19 16:41:53

Labaik
It's very possible that there wasn't a uk one available at this time. Theres no problem with the Dutch doing the job, they are some of the best in the world.
The problem (if there was one) isn't getting the dredger, it's getting the crew, something else we stopped investing in.

PECS Sat 05-Jan-19 17:40:08

Really, the last thing you need running anything are people with knowledge, experience and expertise in the field. We all know experts are useless! grin You have to laugh or you would cry!

grannypauline Sun 06-Jan-19 00:01:33

Boris Johnson's Garden Bridge project (which will not be built after all): 46m lost

Channel ferries which will likely never run: 14m.

NHS patient record system (not introduced): 10bn lost

Department for Transport Shared Services Centre project (barely used): 81m lost

Common Agricultural Policy Delivery Programme (delayed payments to farmers and incurred EU fines): 215m

Tory party friends and donors: benefited.

Universal Credit: effectively stops payment for 5 weeks and will thus impoverish thousands (and their children).

NotSpaghetti Sun 06-Jan-19 09:21:09

Ben Sharp, of Seabourne has been a managing director before of a
company Mercator International which was forced into liquidation by HMRC over unpaid tax in 2014.
It owed £1.78m.

NotSpaghetti Sun 06-Jan-19 09:24:31

This morning, heard that the "news" of the government deal with Seabourne hadn't even been discussed at the local council meeting in December and the person representing the ferry ward hasn't had "so much as an email" to this day.

Lazigirl Sun 06-Jan-19 09:30:13

Oh dear NotSpaghetti. I am ignorant about these things but wouldn't Due Diligence take this into account? I heard this morning a Tory Councillor from Ramsgate saying that councillors were not given information about this arrangement and she very much doubted if the port, or town was able to cope with ferries at this short notice.

MaizieD Sun 06-Jan-19 09:34:36

Yet dredging has apparently started in Ramsgate harbour? How can that have happened without any contact from the company?

Nonnie Sun 06-Jan-19 12:23:00

Maizie I don't think the company is paying for the dredging, I think I heard that it was planned anyway. Perhaps the company was started because it saw an opportunity? I expect someone with knowledge will tell us.

Anja Mon 07-Jan-19 07:43:59

PECS Mon 07-Jan-19 09:42:24

grinAnja except it could be trie in which case angry

NotSpaghetti Mon 07-Jan-19 11:39:06

Love that Anja grin

MaizieD Mon 07-Jan-19 11:46:05

Who is paying for the dredging, then, nonnie and why?