Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can this government really continue?

(205 Posts)
trisher Sat 12-Jan-19 11:32:18

Is there anyone out there who can really still support this government? It bought the DUP to keep it in power, it has been defeated in the House of Commons in spite of that and its policy of Universal credit has just been thrown out of court because of the way it treats people. www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/11/four-single-mothers-win-high-court-benefits-battle-against-dwp-universal-credit?CMP=fb_gu&fbclid=IwAR1gx3cqrJ5ailab45F4KiBlYqm1SWMSu6gABIRw_2vGheNkA8y1gqGQ6-Y
Surely they have to GO NOW!!!

varian Sat 19-Jan-19 14:28:35

The truth is that the Brexit referendum is totally discredited. The win was based on outright and proven lies by our own politicians, illegal electoral fraud by the Leave campaign, and interference by the Russian government and Cambridge Analytica. I cannot think of a constitutional vote in this country that has been more discredited. On top of that, it is increasingly being shown that there is no way to leave the EU and come out better off, so any form of Brexit will leave the UK worse off than if it stayed in the EU.

This is one of those moments where the politicians should, and normally would, admit that the experiment hasn’t worked. Whether they return to the people to ask their will again, now armed with a lot more facts, or they just accept their responsibility as our elected representatives and stop Brexit

medium.com/@tswriting/brexiteers-dont-understand-british-democracy-5df1ad88d8c9

varian Fri 18-Jan-19 10:53:57

It is true that younger people would suffer the most, but all of us would suffer if this brexit nonsense is allowed to go ahead.

trisher Fri 18-Jan-19 10:49:28

Ah yes debate the history of Corbyn and the Labour Party and meanwhile the "disaster capitalists" (thanks varian) are counting their money and laughing all the way to the bank! (which they already own). Really it does make you think that a country gets the government it deserves. The problem being of course that it won't be the posters on here who will suffer when things go to pot, it will be the younger generation who will find themselves with a much poorer living standard.

Anniebach Fri 18-Jan-19 08:38:35

POGS. yes I remember you accepted my apology .

The evening C4 news showed the proof of Corbyn campaigning to bring the likes of Derek Hatton back into the party whilst party members were fighting back after the disastrous 1983 election , and his entertaining IRA leaders in Westminster just weeks after the Brighton bombing whilst his colleagues were grieving.

So yes, I am certaintly not in step with new party members, they didn’t get doors slammed in their faces, were not sworn at or jeered at , didn’t fight to get the country accept the Labour Party again. We in the eighties took the flack for the actions of the unions in the seventies and it took 14 years to make Labour acceptable to voters again.

He betrayed the party then and is now doing the same again.

Jalima1108 Fri 18-Jan-19 00:39:54

It was pointed out on QT this evening that Corbyn believes in speaking to groups with whom he claims he disagrees, such as Hamas and Hezbollah, but will not talk to Theresa May about the future of our country.

POGS Fri 18-Jan-19 00:19:22

Anniebach Thu 17-Jan-19 20:57:07

"granddad, let me explain, you were not posting on this forum when Corbyn stood for the leadership. I gave him full support. Perhaps some posters may remember . Shortly after he won the leadership I learned things about him , i apologised to those I had argued with when I defended him, "

Boy can I vouch for that!!!

Anniebach Thu 17-Jan-19 21:44:07

granddad1943, you must be so busy typing epistles you either have time to read posts or have a memory problem, please try harder to stick to facts,

I agree I am certaintly not in step with your thinking, heaven forbid.

So union members wanted more for themselves than the rest of the country, that I can believe . If Corbyn gets to No 10 they can all strike as they did in the seventies,

I don’t pay my membership fee to get what suits me, seems Unions expect more

Grandad1943 Thu 17-Jan-19 21:33:18

Well Anniebach, in two elections the Labour movement have given Corbyn the largest majority that any candidate for leadership has ever had, with the second being even larger than the first. So, Anniebach perhaps it is yourself that is out of step with current party thinking and not me.

Also, if your hero Tony Blair had not taken the affiliation subscriptions from poorly paid trade union members without giving them back anything in return, we would not have Jeremy Corbyn as leader now.

Undoubtedly, that money was all spent on those "nice" party conferences that you attended Anniebach that did not even see the financial crisis coming and to which so many grassroots movement members paid for with their jobs.

Anniebach Thu 17-Jan-19 20:57:07

granddad, let me explain, you were not posting on this forum when Corbyn stood for the leadership. I gave him full support. Perhaps some posters may remember . Shortly after he won the leadership I learned things about him , i apologised to those I had argued with when I defended him,
I do not have hate for anyone, I have no respect for liars or hypocrites, this is my reality .

Seems you are the one who places your admiration for Corbyn before reality . But in fairness as you are not a party member you wouldn’t understand how a party member feels when a fellow party member works against you.

Please do not lecture me on the Labour Party, you are a voter but not a party member, he didn’t betray you.

Grandad1943 Thu 17-Jan-19 20:41:32

Anniebach Quote [ granddad1943. Corbyn is leader of the party of which I am a member, how can I criticise others leaders when he is a liar and a hypocrite and thinks nothing of betraying fellow party members . I cannot.] End quote

So Anniebach, you will not state that the Tory party are totally responsible for the most significant crisis this country has faced in seventy years because of your personal views on your party leader.

I believe that states everything in regard to your membership of the Labour party Anniebach in that you put obsessive hatred of Jeremy Corbyn in front of all reality.

lemongrove Thu 17-Jan-19 20:28:25

Corbyn is hopeless.
Being the only leader who refuses to talk! He is calling it a ‘stunt’ May and Cabinet members talking to cross party MP’s. A stunt Jeremy, that may just find a solution to the paralysis in Westminster.
I think he is running scared of any involvement or of coming out and saying what he really wants so is doing the usual ploy of hiding from it.Pathetic.

varian Thu 17-Jan-19 20:16:19

They are called "disaster capitalists". ERG s like Redwood who is paid £200,000 for a part time job with Charles Stanley and has advised investors to take their money out of the UK, Rees Mogg who has opened an office in Dublin to take advantage of continuing EU benefits, and all the tax dodging billionaires who were behind this brexit nonsense and are ready to swoop in and buy up the assets of failing businesses on the cheap.

trisher Thu 17-Jan-19 20:11:02

What surprises me is that there are people who imagine that everyone is against us crashing out in a No Deal situation. There are those who realise the huge economic disaster that would be for the country but who also know that there will be a great deal of money to make in such a situation. Where are those people? Sitting behind Mrs May, watching her make a hash of everything and gleefully calculating how much they will pocket.

varian Thu 17-Jan-19 20:09:36

I have watched one or two of Jeremy Corbyn's recent press conferences. He makes his speech and an assistant announces she will take questions, then calls on journalists in the audience. She takes three or four questions before turning back to Corbyn.

He is in theory answering these questions but by the time he starts we have forgotten the first question, let alone all the others. He rarely even attempts to answer any of the questions, he just makes another speech or repeats what he said before.

It is a total charade and quite insulting to those who have taken the trouble to turn up, listen to him and put questions. If he was serious he would take questions one at a time and attempt to give each questioner a proper answer. This stupid behaviour is hardly likely to endear him to the media or the voting public.

Anniebach Thu 17-Jan-19 19:11:26

granddad1943. Corbyn is leader of the party of which I am a member , how can I critcise others leaders when he is a liar and a hypocrite and thinks nothing of betraying fellow party members . I cannot.

Nonnie Thu 17-Jan-19 19:05:57

Maizie yes

Anniebach Thu 17-Jan-19 19:04:53

Mazie, yes speeches are prepared and read, but questions?

Grandad1943 Thu 17-Jan-19 19:01:37

Anniebach, I am not in "adoration of Jeremy Corbyn", and I believe he will be replaced as party leader within the next six months as I have stated several times on this forum.

In the above, I am not even a member of the Labour party but believe in placing responsibility where it belongs. That stated, Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour party are most certainly not responsible for the severe Brexit crisis that Britain faces now.

I would have thought as a long-standing member of the Labour party Anniebach you would have wished to point that fact out in this thread and other Brexit threads you have posted on?

Jalima1108 Thu 17-Jan-19 18:57:31

Anniebach, Hillery Benn was on Sky News this morning and stated that as he and others in the Labour party are the chairpersons of various parliamentary committees, they will be attending meetings with senior government ministers in regard to Brexit
I mentioned that earlier.

The Labour leader sent a letter to members of the parliamentary party after Hilary Benn, Yvette Cooper and John Mann all visited the Cabinet Office in Whitehall on Thursday.

They pre-empted his letter. Sending the letter makes JC look foolish because, as you say Grandad and as I said earlier, Hillary Benn stated that he and others are chairpersons (should that be chairpeople?) of various committees to do with Brexit.

MaizieD Thu 17-Jan-19 18:54:36

I think he would find a meeting difficult because he couldn’t have all his questions and answers written out for him to read

Miaow

Have you not noticed, Annie, that just about every MP speaking in Parliament does so from a prepared speech which they read from?

MaizieD Thu 17-Jan-19 18:50:07

I was talking about JC not TM. In answer to your question, I don't know and I'm not sure she does,

You said, Nonnie, about JC "he has made it quite clear it is his way or no way."

Now, I may be living in a parallel universe here, but surely that's precisely the line May is taking?

Or have I completely misread the intention your post?

Anniebach Thu 17-Jan-19 18:38:32

granddad1943. A small detail, I have never said Corbyn is responsible for this crisis.

Seems the one who is prone to fantasy is you. I suggest your adoration of Corbyn needs a little self control

Grandad1943 Thu 17-Jan-19 18:07:02

Anniebach, Fantasy is the word that comes to mind in regard to your posts on this thread.

Of course, Jeremy Corbyn is entirely responsible for this the largest crisis facing Britain in over seventy years.
And nothing to do with the Tory party whatsoever.

Therefore, as a long-standing member of the Labour party, no criticism of the Conservative party is required by you whatsoever? grin

Anniebach Thu 17-Jan-19 17:20:01

Agree POGS.

Corbyn will be delighted if this ends in a disaster, the voters are angry and he gets the general election , it’s all he wants .

‘ I have a red line which demands you abandon your red line’

I think he would find a meeting difficult because he couldn’t have all his questions and answers written out for him to read .

Jabberwok Thu 17-Jan-19 17:17:35

I guess he'll make sure they are de selected!! We DO need a deal unless we want to risk a free rein Corbyn government!