Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will Nigel Farage be Corbyn's nemesis?

(59 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Sun 20-Jan-19 18:02:41

After reading the news that Nigel is about to throw (or hurl) his hat into the ring yet again, I just hope that he chooses his cohorts more wisely this time.
He's the only one who can sort the wheat from the chaff as far as Brexiteers go and I for one, hope that he helps us to weigh anchor and see off all comers.
What say you?

varian Thu 24-Jan-19 16:46:57

He went by private plane and so must declare who paid.

POGS Thu 24-Jan-19 16:43:03

Varian

Why is it an issue for Farage going to Strasbourg and the expense?

varian Thu 24-Jan-19 16:28:50

Within one month, the mystery of who funds Nigel Farage’s jet-set lifestyle could finally be revealed.

In an interview last week with Matt Frei for Channel 4 News, Farage admitted that he had flown by private plane to Strasbourg to attend a meeting of the European parliament at his own expense, but declined to say how much it had set him back. In a subsequent Tweet, he said that since the broadcast a businessman – whom he chose not to identify – had come forward to pay for the flight.

A return private flight to Strasbourg would normally cost around £10,000, which puts it well above the threshold that would require it to be declared to both the European parliament and the Electoral Commission.

“Keep a close eye on this one as it will explain a great deal if he complies with the rules,” a disaffected former associate of Farage gets in touch to tell me. “The European parliament is quite clear that a donation of this magnitude to any member has to be declared within one month. It’s also well aware of this interview with Frei.”

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/mandrake-farage-secret-brexit-backer-banks-1-5864313

varian Thu 24-Jan-19 16:17:53

I've heard Farage's other two children have Irish passports.

petra Thu 24-Jan-19 15:56:18

Varian
Nigel Farage always said that he was going to leave UKIP when he achieved what he set out to do.
On the subject of his 2children having German passports, that was his (ex) ? Wife's wishes.

GabriellaG54 Thu 24-Jan-19 11:47:05

I was talking about we as being the ones who don't make statements then ask if it's true and you as being the exception.
There are none so blind as those who cannot see.

Bridgeit Wed 23-Jan-19 22:37:22

Ironic that ‘your ‘second sentence does exactly the same .
ie. ‘WE ALL make up our own minds, however YOU don’t ‘?

GabriellaG54 Wed 23-Jan-19 21:33:45

He's whatever you want to think he is. We all make up our own minds, however, it seems that you don't yours as, in your comment, you make a statement then ask if that statement is true. confused

Bridgeit Wed 23-Jan-19 18:59:49

Just read OP. I’m a bit confused, NF is the chaff isn’t he ! ?

varian Wed 23-Jan-19 17:51:51

An MEP has been applauded both in the European Parliament and on social media for exposing Nigel Farage’s hypocrisy over Brexit - and for doing what many British politicians have failed to do.

Dutch MEP Esther de Lange was posing a question to Angela Merkel when she first announced she had to get something off her chest before she asked her question. De Lange told the Parliament not to “take his grandstanding too seriously”.

Pointing to the former UKIP leader, she told those in Strasbourg: “This is a man who led his party and country to the Brexit vote – only the next day to admit he lied and tricked and jumped his ship and left his party.”

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/dutch-mep-esther-de-lange-criticises-nigel-farage-over-brexit-1-5778648

MawBroon Mon 21-Jan-19 18:29:01

GabriellaG you appear to have come up with some frame of mind of your own invention and are arguing against it.
confused
Empty room and argument spring to mind.
However if justifying yourself makes you happy, so be it.
(Nobody else is bothered)

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 18:24:45

Are you a SW or mental health professional?
If so, you can give me some free advice.
I'm very content not to be the same as the herd, to not have the herd mentality.
I value my independent train of thought and the fact that I don't need to have my views confirmed or applauded by anyone else in order to feel good.
I need no chorus of approbation.
Obviously, it works for me as I have no financial worries or health issues whatsoever and my home, family and social lives are as lively and interesting as I want to make them.
I wish you well.

varian Mon 21-Jan-19 18:02:11

I do hope GG54 that you have not irrevocably ruled out changing your mind because your mind most ceratainly needs changing.

trisher Mon 21-Jan-19 17:58:37

Only closed minded people completely and irrevocably rule out changing their minds.
Many people are under the mistaken impression that the first person who says "You're just being closed-minded" in a debate is automatically the winner; frequently, the first person who says this has simply run out of facts.
It isn't closed-minded to have principles is it? Or to prefer to eat in congenial company?

MawBroon Mon 21-Jan-19 17:48:48

Yes indeed. Aging from birth and I'm not 'some people
Dinner party conversations be at pre- school ' tittering' level in your area

“Ageing”?
What on earth does your second sentence mean too?
Which area would that be I wonder?

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 17:32:56

* must be

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 17:32:34

Yes indeed. Aging from birth and I'm not 'some people'.
Dinner party conversations be at pre- school ' tittering' level in your area.

MawBroon Mon 21-Jan-19 17:32:07

Another quote from the calendar GabriellaG?
We used to have a member who posted one such bon mot per day hmm

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 17:28:59

Only one good reason is needed, if it's good enough.
Only closed minded people completely and irrevocably rule out changing their minds.

MawBroon Mon 21-Jan-19 17:26:55

What on Earth has that got to do with anything? confused

trisher Mon 21-Jan-19 17:25:53

At least I haven't had a sense of humour extraction GabriellaG54 , funny what age does to some people!

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 17:24:18

We can do without reds in the blue sector.

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 17:23:04

Are you actually an adult trisher or a 5yr old trapsing round in your mum's high heels?

trisher Mon 21-Jan-19 16:48:04

Ugh what a revolting thought! Could be a thread- Who wouldn't you want to have to dinner, or what combinations of people could you manage to host before you finally threw up!!!

paddyann Mon 21-Jan-19 16:43:06

I see in todays press mr MOGG is best pals with Farage and wants him to join the Tories....I shall add that to my very...very long list of reasons why NOT to join the tories .