Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Honerable MP for Yardley

(102 Posts)
Anja Thu 31-Jan-19 08:03:36

Did anyone watch Jess Phillips comments on the £30,000 minimum earnings as an acceptable precursor to allowing immigrants to work in this country?

I think it was during the debate on immigration to a largely empty house. She deserved a larger audience.

Elrel Thu 07-Feb-19 18:29:52

Odd that so many young women who go to the pubs and clubs of Broad Street didn't find her remark at all stupid or inaccurate.
You didn't read her book very thoroughly if you have no idea whether Jess is a hard working MP. Her constituents seem to believe that she is.

Iam64 Wed 06-Feb-19 20:43:23

Jess Phillips is not a member of the LP front bench. For someone who has such strong feelings you don’t seem to know much about her

maisiegreen Wed 06-Feb-19 20:20:02

I do find her gobby.
Re tg issues she has not made any statements about the potential dangers of self id. She has not criticised her own party when they allowed tw to becomensure women's officers. Even when corbyn and mcdonnell promised consultation with women's groups. The Labour party has abandoned women and she has said not one word.
Re the cologne nye comment. I think that that was the perfect demonstration of being gobby. Saying something stupid in order to get attention.
Oh yes, there's a lovely clip of her in the hoc, laughing at a fellow mp who was expressing concern about male suicide.
I'm sure she's a hard working local mp. To be frank, I have no idea. But the problem is that she is on the shadow front bench and, like many others there, is patently not up to the job.

maryeliza54 Wed 06-Feb-19 19:29:36

‘Gobby’ is a nasty sexist word not to mention stupid.

Iam64 Wed 06-Feb-19 18:44:06

maiseigreen - you are of course welcome to "strongly dislike" Jess but please, don't give incorrect information in support of your position.
Jess Phillips has suffered dreadful abuse from transgender activists. One of the statements that led to rape threats was when she said she wouldn't allow a bearded trans woman into a women's refuge.
Her comment linking the assaults in Cologne to behaviour from men on Broad street in her constituency was rightly challenged. Jess came straight back with an apology for the comments which she recognised were incorrect and unhelpful.

maisiegreen Wed 06-Feb-19 17:46:52

I strongly dislike her.
She, along with most mp's, have said nothing about to the threat to women's rights from transactivists. She is no friend of women.
When women were assaulted in Cologne and other German cities on new year's Eve a couple of years ago her comment on Question Time was that Saturday night on Broad Street was just the same. Which was an attention grabbing lie.
I have had the misfortune to read her autobiography for my book group. And she comes across as gobby and stupid.
Jess Phillips is keen on jess phillips. And the sound of her own voice.

Elrel Sat 02-Feb-19 14:38:47

I'd almost stopped bothering with TV Question Time. Then one evening I heard a young women talking common sense, in a local accent. Jess is one of the few MPs who gives glimpses of hope for the future of our moribund squabbling parliament. As a previous poster has said, she's not perfect, but who is?
Sometimes one has to shout to get heard above the hubbub.

PECS Fri 01-Feb-19 21:45:06

This is a bit sad though & a direct result of TMs hostle environment policy!
www.independent.co.uk/topic/hostile-environment

petra Fri 01-Feb-19 17:37:00

It was established not long after the referendum that a visa system would be set up for overseas seasonal workers.

PECS Fri 01-Feb-19 17:19:05

OK.. misunderstood your comment in that case POGS!

POGS Fri 01-Feb-19 17:14:06

PECS

Nothing wrong in my opinion but it was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment. I don't do many smiley faces .

PECS Fri 01-Feb-19 17:03:05

POGS you say "I actually think the posters on this thread would be insulted to be called right wing!"

I guess a person's perception of 'right wing' depends on where they feel they stand on the Right /Left continuum. What is wrong with being right wing?
JRM Farage, Johnson et al are certainly right right wing. TM and co are Right Wing! They are not centrist or Left wing!

POGS Fri 01-Feb-19 17:00:18

Iam

Thank you.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Feb-19 16:18:54

This is from 2015 but it is interesting (and enjoyable) nonetheless.

When Jess met Jacob:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMQLSkM1_sU

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 16:06:55

Sounds about right humpty

humptydumpty Fri 01-Feb-19 15:51:53

In other words, make it up as we go along - that seems to be the general approach to Brexit.

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 15:38:17

On World at One today there was talk of allowing a set number of agricultural workers in each year to pick crops. I suspect the rules for various types of work will be relaxed as and when required.

Iam64 Fri 01-Feb-19 15:29:29

Eh Up POGS - I agree with your post at 14.34. Does this mean I'm one of those so called namby pamby grannies who doesn't like the disagreements politics usually leads to. No it doesn't and I can't imagine it means that either of us (me and POGS that is) have shifted our voting intentions .

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 15:27:47

POGS I like Marmite a great deal more than most MPs I've come across!

POGS Fri 01-Feb-19 14:34:52

Jess Phillips

She is marmite as are many other politicians and I think Jess Phillips would herself be adult enough to accept that is not said in a derogatory manner if I have assessed her character correctly. A lot of MP's are marmite and it has nothing to do with which party they belong to.

Jess Phillips is a vocally unashamed of her Feminist credentials and is not afraid to speak as she finds. I too have watched Jess Phillips and I too believe she can be ' Shouty ' but that is because she is passionate about what she says and feels. She would probably be the first one to admit she doesn't give a toss if she offends anybody and there are plenty of interviews that can justify why I say that if you have watched any of her media coverage on programmes such as Politics Live, Midlands ,Sunday Politics, This Week etc. etc.

I thought the programmes she did with Jacob Rees Mogg when they visited each others constituencies was very good and showed that politics can be about accepting we all have different views, sticking to our guns but learning there needs to be respect too.

I don't particularly find Jess Phillips is afraid to be honest when her party is wrong she will admit to it and that is refreshing . She is certainly not afraid to tell opposition parties when they cock up too.

As for the £30.000 income level I think that possibly is to avoid immigration from those who have no employment on entry from receiving benefits or employment that requires topping up with credits.

Is that right/fair/wrong?

Depends .

I think nobody should go to 'ANY ' country and live off the benefit system that they have not contributed to at the expense of the indigenous population to whom the repercussions are felt not in a positive way.

However immigration can benefit a country, ' ANY ' country and there are jobs that benefit the society as a whole and if those jobs do not meet the £30.000 criteria it is a stupid act of self harm to not have a method of relaxing the rule when it is obvious the criteria cannot be met.

POGS Fri 01-Feb-19 14:07:17

Iam

I think the words speak for themselves.

"There’s the right wingers who will not accept anything positive about a Labour MP,"

There are no right wing posters doing anything of the kind .

Urmstongran Fri 01-Feb-19 13:30:52

This week Jess Phillips, MP for Birmingham Yardley, provoked howls of laughter in the House of Commons – and a bit of a Twitter storm – when she said that before becoming an MP, she thought she had met posh people, but actually she had only met people who ate olives.

Iam64 Fri 01-Feb-19 13:22:15

POGS I think the point Anja was making, later supported by others, is that the political discussions on gransnet seem to mirror the Brexit discussion. That is, they're repetitive and sadly seem stuck in polarised positions. It'd be great to be able to have well informed discussions - I'm not sure I'm well informed enough to join in but I'd certainly have a go!

POGS Fri 01-Feb-19 12:59:13

Anja

"Seems there are several forces at work here. There’s the right wingers who will not accept anything positive about a Labour MP, admit they CBA’d to look at the current link, and just hark back to a previous issue.

Then there’s those who have issues with current Labour leaders who every time fall for this tactic and are easy prey to the above. They allow themselves to be diverted and trot out parrot-fashion their usual rhubarb."
----

You have made a statement but I don't see a poster on this thread that is thought of as being ' right wing' let alone been derogatory of Jess Phillips!

I actually think the posters on this thread would be insulted to be called right wing!

PECS Fri 01-Feb-19 10:41:39

maryeliza I was really referring to the 'basics' as being people withdrawing to factionalised opinion rather than problem solving, compromise and common ground!
Yes, we do have to find a way to stem the bleeding, tidy the mess and start to heal if we are to become a functioning nation again. From the start, ie pre referendum, there should have been a x party group to create the Dummies Guide to the EU.
If more of the electorate had real clarity on the pros & cons , based on honest and factual historic and projected data then any referendum outcome would have been better respected..whichever way it had gone.