Gransnet forums

News & politics

Suing parents?

(67 Posts)
ellieBrum Fri 08-Feb-19 10:17:06

A man is suing his parents for giving birth to him without consent. confused

This may just be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot of ridiculous things in my time wink)

llizzie2 Sat 09-Feb-19 15:46:03

With a son like that they deserve a medal, though I suppose it is they way they brought him up. Does he also intend to sue the midwife for keeping him alive?

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 16:05:02

What a wally... (with apologies to any Walters who may be reading this)
The Wally (Walter) I know can't read so I read it to him and he was very offended to be associated with this dipstick.

ps the Walter I know has four legs and a waggy tail.

Conni7 Sat 09-Feb-19 16:21:47

What a good idea - we could all do that if our parents were still here! Would it make us rich?

SueDonim Sat 09-Feb-19 16:35:31

Miss Adventure grin

Let's hope this chap never has any children of his own, otherwise he might one day find himself on the other end of the argument!

Caro57 Sat 09-Feb-19 16:56:01

Legally he didn’t exist until he was born so it sounds like a bit of a catch 22!

notgoneyet Sat 09-Feb-19 18:07:00

Haha great idea MissAdventure

Nanny41 Sat 09-Feb-19 18:49:46

Oh dear there is one born everyday. I hope my Daughter doesnt sue me for her inheritance of white hair.

jura2 Sat 09-Feb-19 19:23:17

I do know young people who said they wanted to sue their parents for voting 'leave'- but that is a different story ;)

jenpax Sat 09-Feb-19 19:45:04

Ah the old “I didn’t ask to be born” comment thrown at us by teenagers everywhere??‍♀️

H1954 Sat 09-Feb-19 19:46:33

Yes MissAdventure, I agree! ?

Cherrytree59 Sat 09-Feb-19 19:47:29

Wey hey got Brexit on to the thread ?

Well he can ? goodbye to his inheritance.

jura2 Sat 09-Feb-19 20:18:15

honestly- I really do despise this. Think and do what I say- or no inheritance. Wow.

Chewbacca Sat 09-Feb-19 20:25:13

What do you mean Think and do what I say- or no inheritance. jura? confused I've read the article and can't see any reference to inheritance.

Chewbacca Sat 09-Feb-19 20:28:23

Or are you referring to Cherrytree's post? If so, I'm even more confused because she hasn't referred to anyone Thinking and doing what I say. What is it that you despise?

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 20:35:55

honestly- I really do despise this. Think and do what I say- or no inheritance. Wow.
jura he didn't want to be born so why should he inherit anything from the people who conceived him - presumably through their own enjoyment?
How selfish grin

Leave it to the Cats and Dogs Home (Unless he has a more sensible sibling)

Methinks he wants his 15 minutes of fame

jura2 Sat 09-Feb-19 20:41:38

Parents who threaten to disinherit their kids for not thinking as their parents- yes re Cherrytree's post. I've known people who have done that, hence my reaction.

Chewbacca Sat 09-Feb-19 20:43:31

Exactly what I thought Jalima; re his 15 minutes of fame. But it occurs to me that he's been... errr.. "unusal", in that he's had thoughts like this since he was 5 years old. I reckon that after 25 years of being parents to him, his mum and dad just sigh, roll their eyes and move on to his next revelation.

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 20:47:30

Such as "I think you are my son because I gave birth to you, sorry you are not here and disown us because you do not wish to have been born, so we'll leave any inheritance to your brother/sister or Battersea Dogs and Cats Home"?

?

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 20:48:03

"sorry you are here if you do not want to be"

Chewbacca Sat 09-Feb-19 20:49:39

Parents who threaten to disinherit their kids for not thinking as their parents?

Not thinking as his parents? Really Jura? This man isn't thinking like 99.99% of the worlds population, let alone his long suffering parents! And no matter what he (or anyone else) says/does/doesn't do/thinks etc, he has no rights to any inheritance from anyone. No one does. An inheritance is a privilege, not a right. No offspring has any right to be left anything by anyone. Including the people you know. Their money? Their decision.

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 20:52:23

Chewbacca smile

I was going to grin but your post is no laughing matter, it is extremely sensible.

M0nica Sat 09-Feb-19 22:47:33

I regularly threaten to disinherit my children, if my Christmas or Birthday present isn't up to scratch, if they do not close the cloakroom door, if DS leaves his socks in the middle of the hall one more time. I threaten to disinherit them for any reason I can think of and do it at least once a day when they are home. The intention is to keep them on their toes

They take absolutely no notice of me, except DD who says when the need arises she will put me in the cheapest care home she can find as far away as possible and only visit once a year, if that.

So its stale mate and DDis not researching care homes.

Chewbacca Sat 09-Feb-19 22:54:29

when the need arises she will put me in the cheapest care home she can find as far away as possible

That's pretty much what my DS says whenever I threaten to disinherit him M0nica! He's assured me he's already found the very place; just ready and waiting for me! grin

Gettingitrightoneday Sat 09-Feb-19 23:51:54

Well that sounds plain daft to me. I wonder if that Boy /Man might be just trying to have a philosphical argument to show off how clever he thinks he is .

GreenGran78 Sun 10-Feb-19 00:11:09

Willow10 Red hair is lovely. I think that I may sue my parents for NOT giving me red hair. It may prove difficult, though, as they both died many years ago. smile