Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour witch-hunt has started

(177 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 08-Feb-19 10:21:50

Luciano Berger is facing a vote of no confidence by her local
Constituancy party because she has criticised Corbyn .

McDonald said she has not been targeted because of anti semetism but because she has refused to rule out quitting labour, if there was any elements of anti semetism in Labour the party would deal with it, full stop

Luciana is being supported by Yvette Cooper and Ed Miliband.

Who is next ?

POGS Thu 14-Feb-19 12:06:34

It does make you remember the calls of ' Whitewash ' over the Shami Chakrabarti Report into antisemitism in the Labour Party .

Of course I should say Baroness Chakrabarti .

Iam64 Wed 13-Feb-19 18:49:13

Monica - I have expressed concern about moves to deselect Labour MP's on various threads.
I wrote to the Prime Minister about Chope, copied in my own MP who wrote to me to say he planned to raise the issue with the PM. He commented that Chope supports his friends PMB. Chope's opposition to various PMB's has never included those from folks he sees as 'friends.
You'll find the majority of people who support the current Labour leadership are entirely at ease with suggestions that Labour MPs who don't fully toe the Corbyn line are de-selected. Jewish MP's like Luciana Berger are fair game as well. I do not agree with that but I support moves to deselect Chope. Not least because they come from traditional conservative voters who are members of his traditional and conservative group of Conservatives in Christchurch. If they're worried about their MP, I'm relieved.

M0nica Wed 13-Feb-19 18:30:31

Why is it acceptable to make moves to deselect Conservative MPs but cause cries of unfair when it is a Labour MP that is being deselected.

There are plenty of constituencies where remain supporting MP's have constituents that voted Brexit. Why should MPs who voted leave be considered unacceptable in remain voting constituencies?

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Feb-19 17:46:46

About time Chope was deselected Iam64

petra it's the other way round in this constituency - perhaps we could do a swap?

Iam64 Wed 13-Feb-19 09:21:33

There are also moves in Christchurch to deselect Sir Christopher Chope.

petra Wed 13-Feb-19 08:30:08

jalima
Probably something to do with the fact that he's doing everything he can to stop Brexit when his constituents voted 60%? to leave grin
He won't be the last, though.

Jalima1108 Tue 12-Feb-19 23:14:44

Oh no, what has Nick Boles done?

petra Tue 12-Feb-19 22:51:27

Good to see the de-selection process has started to oust Nick Bolles Tory MP for Grantham.
They voted unanimously to start looking for another candidate.

Anniebach Tue 12-Feb-19 11:20:44

If the leaders of the Labour Party are so dedicated to stopping anti semetism in the party why would they want their efforts! not made public ?

670 complaints since last April and 12 expelled , surely they must be soooo proud

trisher Tue 12-Feb-19 09:56:08

We should havea "Twisted Wheel Reunion" ! although I don't live anywhere near there now.

Ilovecheese Tue 12-Feb-19 09:41:36

I remember the Twisted Wheel too!

Anniebach Tue 12-Feb-19 09:21:52

No trisher I would expect them to answer questions put to them by the MP’s

trisher Tue 12-Feb-19 09:19:59

Oh wow! Chewbacca another one!
Annie had they attended you would no doubt be accusing them of trying to influence any outcomes. Let's face it they can't win.

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 22:56:33

Thank you POGS I didn’t have the details you have provided . Formby and Corbyn couldn’t be bothered to attend! Sickening

POGS Mon 11-Feb-19 22:47:59

Something certainly is ' twisted '!

Those who deny there is a problem within Labour over bullying and antisemitism.

Chewbacca Mon 11-Feb-19 22:44:50

Twisted Wheel? I used to go there back in my long and distant yoof.

POGS Mon 11-Feb-19 22:42:52

I have just read this Anniebach.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47203397

The data published revealed:

673 complaints of anti-Semitism by Labour Party members were received - a Labour spokesman said this represented about 0.1% of the membership

96 members were immediately suspended after complaints were made and a further 211 were told they would be investigated

146 members received a first warning, and 220 cases did not have sufficient evidence of a breach of party rules for an investigation

Of the 307 who were suspended or notified of an investigation, 44 members left the party
Another 96 were referred to the party's anti-Semitism Disputes Panel

Of the 96, 16 members were issued with a formal warning from the National Executive Committee, six members' cases were referred for further investigation, 25 members were issued with reminder of conduct (a first written warning), and seven members' cases were closed as the full evidence suggested no further action should be taken

The panel decided to refer the other 42 members to Labour's National Constitutional Committee (NCC), with five members leaving before their cases were reviewed

Of the 37 cases referred to the NCC, 12 members were expelled and six received sanctions, while the rest await their outcome

The other members who were suspended or notified of an investigation are either still under investigation or are cases where the investigation revealed evidence that meant the case could not be pursued further

The party received a further 433 complaints which were not about Labour party members.
------

I noted the comments from Labour MP's Margaret Hodge and Catherine McKinnell:-

Questioning the figures provided, Dame Margaret told the BBC if she had submitted 200 complaints alone, the official figure of 673 complaints against party members suffered from "a total lack of credibility".

Labour MP Catherine McKinnell said there was a question mark over the "inability to produce data that predates 2018".

Corbyn and Formby obviously did not think the meeting worth attending!

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 22:28:01

673 allegations of anti semetism in the Labour Party, Jennie Formby refused to give the details, she was ordered to give the details ,she didn’t turn up at the meeting this evening, wrote a letter . 673 allegations , 12 expelled !

Corbyn refused to turn up at parliament to answer questions on this .

Result , a backlash from labour MP’s

Lisagran Mon 11-Feb-19 18:19:47

I loved it there! (Sorry folks / off topic!!)

trisher Mon 11-Feb-19 18:14:25

Small world Lisagran and great days. I did love to dance! (and still do but not much chance these days)

Lisagran Mon 11-Feb-19 18:05:33

Ooh, Trisher I used to go to The Twisted Wheel grin

trisher Mon 11-Feb-19 18:02:39

Perhaps one who beieves in democracy and doesn't need to buy support.

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 17:59:46

What party leader who wants to be PM speaks of supporting the booting out of a country of the U.K.

POGS Mon 11-Feb-19 17:26:13

Corbyn and those that surround him are quite possibly all for calling for a ' Referendum', not on Brexit but on Irish Unification.

I think the damning evidence against John McDonnell speaks for itself and his position is pretty clear.

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 12:56:52

So the answer is a referendum?