Gransnet forums

News & politics

The cliff edges nearer because May doesn’t want to split party!

(339 Posts)
Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 07:39:59

Theresa May has effectively ruled out Labour’s proposal for a Brexit compromise, stressing her objection to staying inside a customs union. “I am not clear why you believe it would be preferable to seek a say in future EU trade deals rather than the ability to strike our own deals?” she wrote to Jeremy Corbyn. The PM argued that her own Brexit plan “explicitly provides for the benefits of a customs union” in terms of avoiding tariffs, while allowing “development of the UK’s independent trade policy beyond our economic partnership with the EU”.

She accepted a customs union could potentially have delivered her a Commons majority but at the serious risk of splitting her party.

The letter comes amid a growing presumption that while May remains officially committed to putting a revised Brexit plan to MPs as soon as possible, in practice this is unlikely to happen before the end of February. Business leaders have called for quicker action, with the head of the CBI, Carolyn Fairbairn, saying the UK is “in the emergency zone of Brexit now” and the confusion will not just affect jobs and investment, but harm the UK as a long-term business destination.

MaizieD Mon 11-Feb-19 09:49:02

Have I missed them saying they’ll agree to the proposed Corbyn deal?

I think it's a distinct possibility, Nfk. Labour have had various meetings with the EU over the last 2 years. They are probably proposing something that the EU would like. I think the EU would be very happy with the customs union. Some will see this as a negative, some as a positive.

Luckygirl Mon 11-Feb-19 09:48:53

Riverwalk has said exactly what I was going to as soon as I saw the title: the original referendum happened because DC feared the split in his party; and the possibility of the Tories losing an election.

I also agree with the poster who says that initially it was a common market that we agreed to and it is all the massive add-ons that have happened since that are the concern for many and that encouraged the out vote.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Feb-19 09:48:20

Haha! Anja we’re not doing so well this morning are we?

Great news just though this morning though about a post Brexit relationship with Switzerland. That should please and reassure jura2

varian Mon 11-Feb-19 09:45:02

Of course the public are sick of brexit and appalled at the utter waste of billions of taxpayers' money on this attempt to appease the extreme right.

Opinion polls consistently show that most people want the UK to Remain in the EU and have done for the last two years.

NfkDumpling Mon 11-Feb-19 09:45:01

I thought the customs union means free movement and no independent trade agreements?

And no one seems to be noticing that the EU negotiators keep reiterating that the only deal is the one on the table. They’re not negotiating any further. At all. Ever. Have I missed them saying they’ll agree to the proposed Corbyn deal?

Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 09:43:28

Your post hadn’t registered when I posted. Thanks for your reply.

I just wonder about the problems of cross border checks, the costs to import and export to our biggest and closest export market. I wouldn’t like to rely on the US or China for any future trade deals.

Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 09:39:07

Crossed posts again!

Urmstongran Mon 11-Feb-19 09:37:49

Sorry Anja please see my post above regards my view on a custom union. I replied directly to MaizieD but no matter.

Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 09:34:22

Thank you maizie for answering that.

Urmstingran? Annie? lemongrove? what do you think?

Urmstongran Mon 11-Feb-19 09:32:43

And I would hate a customs union MaizieD as it wasn’t what I voted for. It ties us in and prevents us from making our own trade deals without EU approval first! Neither in nor out. We have Theresa the Appeaser to thank (not) for this dog’s dinner of a deal.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Feb-19 09:28:03

Cartoon this morning shows TM head as a BAFTA award for ‘the longest running farce’. Love it!

MaizieD Mon 11-Feb-19 09:18:51

I think the customs union is acceptable, but then I would. It is, of course, a poor second best to actually remaining in the EU and having our full and meaningful say as we always have done in the past.

Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 09:14:57

I’m still interested to know what people feel about customs union.

Those who have posted already haven’t said if that would be, in their opinion, acceptable.

What do you think?

Riverwalk Mon 11-Feb-19 09:10:55

Yes Urmston the public are sick of Brexit but I disagree about wanting it done and dusted in whatever form.

I think this is what T May is banking on, letting it run to the wire and then we have to settle for a bad deal to maintain her party's unity. We are leaving but should be aiming for as good a deal as possible.

People are mistaken if they think it will be all over come 29 March - I suspect negotiations for various deals with the EU and others will go on for years; a long time for heads to be in the sand.

petra Mon 11-Feb-19 09:09:53

Urmstongran
For years I've wondered what the purpose of the CBI is?
I love it when people (like you) remember 'stuff'

muffinthemoo Mon 11-Feb-19 09:05:02

Without any disrespect to ethel, who knows her own personal situation the best when she says she and her family will not be affected, I suspect that the general public are unaware/unprepared for the cascade effects of Brexit in an economic sense.

The mortgage rates wouldn't have to rise by very much for a lot of 'squeezed' families to be seriously in financial trouble. A comparatively very small percentage of jobs can be lost overall, but if concentrated in particular geographic areas, those losses can cause a lot of economic pain.

Of course, the major problem is that many of these unforeseen consequences of what is a massive economic change in circumstances will only become apparent after the fact.

I wish all gransnetters the best and hope the adverse effects are minimal.

eazybee Mon 11-Feb-19 09:04:05

The Conservative party that I know is in despair; I don't think Theresa May gives a toss over its fate, because she Knows she is Right. She has one over-riding concern and that is to get her very poor deal, the one she 'negotiated' under the direction of Oliver Robbins in December 2017, through, and she is using every threat, every deception, every evasion she can think of to delay the vote until the last possible moment in the hope of coercing the party, and Parliament, to support her.

Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 09:04:03

Yes it is relevant. Hard to say as the CBI have got it wrong in the past, but then they’ve also got it right too. Only their mistakes get the publicity whereas successes slip by unreported.

What you are really asking is ‘would businesses (in general) suffer’ and if so would this affect not just them but us, the public, adversely?

No one knows for sure because it is all new and the only way to find out for sure is when it all goes pear-shaped. There are warning from Carney, who seems to know what he is talking about, and already 30% of businesses are making plans to move their HQ from the U.K. in the case of a no deal.

What do you think?

Anniebach Mon 11-Feb-19 09:00:35

With you etheltbags

MaizieD Mon 11-Feb-19 09:00:03

I think that both the Labour party and the tories are more than likely to split anyway. It's just criminal a shame that they have to commit the country to national suicide in the process.

Urmstongran Mon 11-Feb-19 08:57:23

Quite understandable ethelbags
I think a lot of the public are sick of the B word now and just want it done and dusted - in whatever form it takes!

Urmstongran Mon 11-Feb-19 08:54:41

Any response to my opinion of the CBI though Anja? It was relevant to your OP.

etheltbags1 Mon 11-Feb-19 08:54:40

Is anyone else like me ive just burried my head in the sand completely. I dont undetstand what its all about despite reading various papers and websites. I just want it over with. Whatever happens i will still have a mortgage still have my job and my lovely family. I will just have to miss out if prices rise. I have seen the pics on social media of the people with garages full of stockpiled food etc. The retailers must be loving it. Meanwhile im nice and cosy under this heap of sand

Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 08:52:36

So lemongrove what do you think of the proposal of a customs union?

lemongrove Mon 11-Feb-19 08:50:01

Anja a lot of MP’s from all Parties are putting themselves and their parties ahead of the country.
I think T May is the least of these.
I think she is honestly trying both to get a deal from the EU and honour the referendum results whilst thinking of Remainers and Leavers.What a job!