Gransnet forums

News & politics

The cliff edges nearer because May doesn’t want to split party!

(339 Posts)
Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 07:39:59

Theresa May has effectively ruled out Labour’s proposal for a Brexit compromise, stressing her objection to staying inside a customs union. “I am not clear why you believe it would be preferable to seek a say in future EU trade deals rather than the ability to strike our own deals?” she wrote to Jeremy Corbyn. The PM argued that her own Brexit plan “explicitly provides for the benefits of a customs union” in terms of avoiding tariffs, while allowing “development of the UK’s independent trade policy beyond our economic partnership with the EU”.

She accepted a customs union could potentially have delivered her a Commons majority but at the serious risk of splitting her party.

The letter comes amid a growing presumption that while May remains officially committed to putting a revised Brexit plan to MPs as soon as possible, in practice this is unlikely to happen before the end of February. Business leaders have called for quicker action, with the head of the CBI, Carolyn Fairbairn, saying the UK is “in the emergency zone of Brexit now” and the confusion will not just affect jobs and investment, but harm the UK as a long-term business destination.

trisher Sat 16-Mar-19 19:05:42

andy that will only work if you invite a whole crowd of people round to fall off with you and let one special person stand and watch, wearing the highest heels you've got and with a nice softly padded special mat to fall onto ( like Jacob Rees Mogg???) Then you might get some idea.

andycameron69 Sat 16-Mar-19 18:22:03

i might just fall off the bed so I can imagine what a cliff edge might be.................. or off my slingbacks

grin

andycameron69 Sat 16-Mar-19 08:23:17

grin
grin

varian Thu 14-Mar-19 18:21:05

If the last poster has never even heard of David Cameron that does explain a lot.

andycameron69 Wed 13-Mar-19 07:03:12

whos daivid ?

explain?

humptydumpty Tue 12-Mar-19 22:56:00

andy you sound increasingly as if you're related to daivid?

lemongrove Tue 12-Mar-19 21:58:37

Exactly GG13 an eye opener indeed as to the true worth
Or lack of it from our MP’s.
If there was to be a GE this year then they will find out what the public think of them.
Brexit or no Brexit, I won’t be voting for anyone again after this debacle.

andycameron69 Tue 12-Mar-19 21:50:42

not true

varian Tue 12-Mar-19 21:02:57

Most people who have paid attention should have learned that the referendum was won by fraud , lies and cheating and should be ignored and ang kind of brexit would be desttuctive and leave us all poorer for a vefy long time.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 12-Mar-19 20:55:10

Varian- yes most people have learned that our MPs from both side of the house are self entitled grandiose nitwits

varian Tue 12-Mar-19 20:08:38

Most British people have learned a lot in the last three years.

andycameron69 Tue 12-Mar-19 20:06:04

loved the result of the referendum,,, fab

andycameron69 Tue 12-Mar-19 20:05:41

we did once do you remember the referendum?

grin

varian Tue 12-Mar-19 19:58:37

Are you sure? Let,'s ask the British people.

andycameron69 Tue 12-Mar-19 19:56:58

majority=democracy

celebrate

andycameron69 Tue 12-Mar-19 19:56:13

the majority voted leave, that's enough.

loving the democratic UK

Fabulosity

a great WTO and no deal from the ghastly EU

janipat Tue 12-Mar-19 19:09:15

Andy, do you ever take your fingers out of your ears long enough to hear, let alone understand, the reasons a no deal exit would be disastrous? I always picture you, fingers in ears shouting "nah nah nah, can't hear you"
A small majority voted leave with absolutely no information of what the reality would be. At the very least we must be allowed a vote on the final deal offered.

trisher Tue 12-Mar-19 18:50:54

Andy no we musn't. Haven't you heard? Laws can be changed. We used to transport people to Australia because it was the law, but it was changed.

andycameron69 Tue 12-Mar-19 18:44:37

we must leave 29 March it is in law, thank heavens

andycameron69 Tue 12-Mar-19 18:44:13

the majority of voters voted leave so that is democracy and so obvious. we had a referendum ....

i adore democracy and majority, great easy words to understand

varian Tue 12-Mar-19 18:20:29

If we exit, let's all hope that we don't . Most British people want to remain in the EU.

andycameron69 Tue 12-Mar-19 16:08:52

i will keep my eyes peeled.

especially after we exit EU on no deal into WTO.

grin
grin
party

Ginny42 Tue 12-Mar-19 15:54:33

Watch where you're walking then Andy.

andycameron69 Tue 12-Mar-19 15:37:32

i see a nice orderly no deal WTO Brexit, the only true 100% out , Leave.

I can't imagine any cliff edge...

varian Mon 11-Mar-19 10:03:01

Senior Conservative MPs have told Theresa May that her position will be untenable if parliament forces her to extend the Article 50 process this week.

In a series of meetings with government whips, Brexiteer Tories have warned Downing Street that the prime minister will face renewed pressure to quit if she is made to ask for extra time from Brussels. Others have suggested that they would be prepared to compromise and back her deal if she wins limited concessions but only if she states her intention to go as soon as the deal is signed. A former cabinet minister said that Mrs May would find it “very difficult” to stay in office if parliament forced an extension on her.

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d236085c-437d-11e9-924d-9729bcd51a7f

Yet again the Moggite "party within a party" that calls itself (laughably) the "Europrean Research Group" is calling the shots, making ridiculous demands and expecting Theresa May to jump to its tune. It is her efforts to placate these extremists that has got her, her government and the country into this appalling mess.