Gransnet forums

News & politics

Younger people’s views beyond March 2019.

(181 Posts)
MarthaBeck Fri 15-Feb-19 13:16:08

I have read a great deal in these columns about Brexit and strong differing views on having a People’s Vote based on views in 2019, including those of young people. We had a
‪deep discussion on Brexit over a cuppa at our older people’s club this morning. Though Mrs May nor @jeremycorbyn would have been very happy about the views expressed.‬ There was strong support for a @peoplesvote_uk that would give young people the opportunity to have their say.‬

Yet, I have not heard such strong views expressed in these columns, even though Brexit is more about the future of the UK in many decades to come. Ironically, in the years when most reading these columns will no longer be affected. How many of you expect to be around in 30 to 40 years, so why do we still try to deny our teenage 16 + grand children their views, three of my 16+ Grandchildren are preparing to plan their University course and future jobs? Why should I deny them the right to define the UK future .

Are we so prejudiced that we continue to oppose allowing the Electorate including 16+ to have a view in 2019 on the future of the UK ?

starbird Mon 11-Mar-19 14:40:08

Has any country’s standing in the world increased in the last two years? Even Canada’s Trudeau is in trouble!

starbird Mon 11-Mar-19 14:36:26

I think any poll on the subject of Brexit should include a list of 20 questions or true/false statements about the EU.

Then the vote of anyone getting less than half correct should be discounted.

varian Thu 28-Feb-19 11:00:42

New polling carried out by BMG on behalf of OFOC and FFS shows overwhelming support among those too young to vote in 2016 for a People’s Vote on the final Brexit deal - 74% want the opportunity to vote.

Excluding don’t knows, 84% would prefer to remain in the European Union. In a referendum between the deal that has been negotiated and remaining in the European Union, of those certain to vote, 87% would vote to remain.
73% think it would be unfair if the UK leaves the EU without them being able to vote on the issue.

In a startling finding for British democracy and the state of Parliament’s outreach to young voters, only 4% have had contact with their MP about Brexit. Only 2% of those too young to vote in 2016 think Britain’s standing in the world has increased since 23rd of June 2016.

Of those who express a preference, 92% would prefer to keep freedom of movement, while those who would be angry if the UK leaves the EU over the next few months without a public vote outnumber those who would be happy by more than 6-1.

www.ofoc.co.uk/poll_shows_those_too_young_to_vote_in_2016_overwhelmingly_support_remain

varian Wed 27-Feb-19 19:43:46

May promises parliamentarians will have the last word on whether the UK exits the European Union without a deal.

www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/02/brexit-theresa-turn-british-mps-choice-190226160643676.html

annep1 Fri 22-Feb-19 07:19:55

Don't let people put you off, MarthaBeck.
Everyone is entitled to express their views. Everyone is of equal value on this planet regardless of their ability or opportunity to achieve a good education.
Some people aren't wise enough to understand this.
Its rude to correct grammar,spelling etc unless asked to. Some people just can't stop themselves no matter how often they're told.

MarthaBeck Thu 21-Feb-19 23:17:25

Far better educated people than me have the belief that everyone is created equal and that we all have the same chance to succeed in life, those beliefs are however, fundamentally flawed. The truth is that we are not all created equal in our ability to achieve success. Every person has a unique set of strengths, which can aid in achieving the success they desire. Conversely, each person also has their own unique set of challenges that inhibit them in achieving such success. I am dyslexic and unfortunately having grown up in the early 40’s and being war time I did not obtain the level of education I really desired,nor the support by my school in recognising the reasons for my poor reading and struggles with grammar.

What makes me angry today is when it comes to the written word and naturally the errors that often creep into your written comments, you receive abusive and harmful comments that border on bullying.

Unfortunately, I recognise such behaviour is becoming far more common on Gransnet.
There are far too many individuals who adopt a very superior attitude and ridicule less educated people and that to me is appalling and not in the best ethos of Gransnet.

I shall in the next few days consider whether I should ignore the sarcasm and abuse from the likes of GabriellaG54 or simply never use the gransnet web site again to express a point of view.
Bye

MarthaBeck Thu 21-Feb-19 20:17:04

Why individuals like GabriellaG54 resort to sarcasm and being bitchy, reminds me of school bullies and those who are abusive having had the benefit of a far better education. Unfortunately, mine was interrupted when we got blitzed and I became one of many evacuees. At least I did learn good manners.

MaizieD Mon 18-Feb-19 12:11:36

Retired65 Thankyou so much for that information... now THAT'S what should have been put out BEFORE the referendum.. scary stuff indeed...

But it's all LIES, toots. Read the Lisbon Treaty (I've posted a link to it)

Scary indeed that people are prepared to believe a load of lies coming from a completely unknown source (note that the person to whom it is attributed didn't write it ) and disseminated on social media.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 18-Feb-19 09:41:00

Toots well said ??

Toots Mon 18-Feb-19 09:25:41

Apologies... the Lisbon Treaty post was by *Retired65".. ?

Toots Mon 18-Feb-19 09:13:23

I'm a Leaver Varian ...I'm of an age to have known life outside the EU too... I voted to take back control of our country from a completely inadequate and greedy group of strangers... I did not vote to leave Europe..I'm not racist, thick, inumerate, or a moron.. and I don't insult the people who wished to stay under EU rule and don't mind if some fat cat in another country makes the rules for them. I knew exactly when people were lying, but decided long long before that ... Corbyn for one... everyone conveniently forgets when he lied to all the students he would banish tuition fees to get them to vote for for him ... and for those who say we won't be here long so leave it to the youngsters... well I voted the right way for my children and grandchildren, so they will have some semblance of life that is not swallowed up by rules from a faraway land, and all those young men who died for that independence didn't die in vain... if anyone is still in doubt, they need to read Cakebaker's post on the Lisbon treaty.. that's what the remainers have voted for, and I don't think it could get any worse.

Toots Mon 18-Feb-19 08:44:01

Retired65 Thankyou so much for that information... now THAT'S what should have been put out BEFORE the referendum.. scary stuff indeed...

varian Mon 18-Feb-19 08:39:37

Ask any leave voter exactly which deal they voted for.

Toots Mon 18-Feb-19 08:34:56

A second vote for what has already been a democratic decision would just show how ridiculous are government has been over brexit.. what then..a third so we can have "best of 3"? Actually maybe that's a good idea..then when half the population don't like the result of the next general election we can just keep on having them until we do!.. ??

varian Mon 18-Feb-19 08:34:46

Poor grasp of numeracy is another leaver trait.

petra Sun 17-Feb-19 21:46:46

Varian
ignorant morons
Sending it right back to you

GabriellaG54 Sun 17-Feb-19 21:23:57

As for the infinitesimal number (.000000000000001%) who might, just might have said, "these foreigners didn't vote for us in the Eurovision Song Contest" or because they didn't like black or brown people and wanted them "all sent back home", as per your assertion, that is too far fetched to be credited with any credence.

GabriellaG54 Sun 17-Feb-19 21:16:30

Better informed? Hahahahaha.... ??????
I never heard such tripe.

varian Sun 17-Feb-19 19:24:49

It is a pity that awful people like some of the ignorant morons who voted leave because "these foreigners didn't vote for us in the Eurovision Song Contest" or because they didn't like black or brown people and wanted them "all sent back home" were allowed to vote.

Many sixteen year olds woyuld be much better informed and should be allowed to vote.

GabriellaG54 Sun 17-Feb-19 18:56:09

When you think about 16 yr olds (and 17/18/19 yr olds) voting, remember the words of the ISIS bride who wants to come back here with her child.
She said she was a silly immature girl who 'wanted to help in Syria'.
Many of the perpetrators of knife crime and drug distribution are teens who have ZERO interest in politics and no moral compass as regards society with which to make an informed opinion when voting.
It's a pity that awful people like that are allowed to vote.

varian Sun 17-Feb-19 15:42:47

No, I don't think that Paddyann but I do think that the SNP have to examine their own record, not just of the teaching of politics and citizenship, but also history in Scottish schools. I've heard of a fourteen year old in a Scottish school who was being taught about the Highland clearances for the FOURTH time since she started school!

paddyann Sun 17-Feb-19 15:32:01

so you think teaching in schools about voting and elections an dthe differences between parties/ideologies is wrong? How very strange ,I believe that ALL school age young people should be taught about politics...after all it affects every aspect of their lives and always will .

varian Sun 17-Feb-19 14:11:05

I also think that everyone over sixteen living and working in the UK should have a vote, not just those who are citizens of the UK or Ireland. What happened to "no taxation without representation"?

varian Sun 17-Feb-19 14:08:43

You can go to university at sixteen, join the army at sixteen, and get married at sixteen. I think sixteen year olds should have a vote, and anyone over sixteen who is not a lunatic, Member of the House of Lords, or both.

lemongrove Sun 17-Feb-19 14:05:07

Good post 4allweknow ??
We all know why the SNP allowed 16 year olds to vote, and even with that weighted in their favour, Scotland still rejected Independence.
I certainly wouldn’t give up my vote for any 16 year old.