Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who would ?

(24 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 16-Feb-19 10:00:10

I've just read that Thorpe Park is considering legal action against a proposed housing development close to the park. They fear that residents may complain about the screams of people on the rides.
I don't think there will be a problem, lets face it, would you want to buy a house that close to Thorpe Park ?

MawBroon Sat 16-Feb-19 10:01:00

No! grin

MissAdventure Sat 16-Feb-19 10:03:32

I think it was on 'This Morning' or something, that a theme park built a roller coaster that went so close to a woman's house that the riders would wave to her as they went past grin

Nonnie Sat 16-Feb-19 10:04:21

Actually nina its not as daft as it sounds. I know of some new flats built next door to a very loud late night venue and the new residents have tried to get it closed down. I don't know if they succeeded though. Presumably the properties will be priced to take the nuisance into account but then the me, me, me types will still complain.

Tweedle24 Sat 16-Feb-19 10:11:35

There were new flats built next to a pub near here that had been well-known for many years as a music venue. Many now famous acts have performed there. As soon as they moved into the new flats, the residents started to complain about the noise.
It reminds me of the people who had a church bell stopped because of the noise. Don’t people ‘do their homework’ when planning to move somewhere?

PECS Sat 16-Feb-19 10:11:51

In Guildford, near where I live, a music pub, has been served with a nouse abatement notice by the developer of a property close to the pub. The developer was concerned his investment, in creating flats in the former office ( I think) building, would be jeopardised as the potential noise would put buyers off. I believe he won the noice abatement notoce .though I think there is an appeal in process.

PECS Sat 16-Feb-19 10:12:37

Sorry for typos!

PECS Sat 16-Feb-19 10:13:47

Tweedle are we talking the same place??

kittylester Sat 16-Feb-19 10:22:12

A new estate was built in our village right next to a long established boarding kennels which had started life well away from any houses. The village crept out to meet it. The new residents complained about the barking dogs. Eventually, the kennels gave up the fight and sold to the developers.

We have a grandfather clock in the hall which marks the quarter hours and does a full Westminster chime on the hour. Visitors are not too happy about that but we never hear it now.

Parsley3 Sat 16-Feb-19 11:20:51

Location,location,location! Someone I know bought a flat next to the railway line and complained about the noise of the trains.

jura2 Sat 16-Feb-19 11:23:34

it's just daft isn't it.

Our bedroom in UK is just in line with the bell tower of the local Church- and bells are as loud as Big Ben - at midnight, 28 bells - 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 12.

Some Genevans buy or rent holiday properties here in my rural area, and complain about cow bells, tractors and muck spreading.

Urmstongran Sat 16-Feb-19 11:52:02

Genevans ??

Urmstongran Sat 16-Feb-19 11:52:37

Oh I’ve just remembered, you live in Switzerland! Duh.

paddyann Sat 16-Feb-19 12:56:54

we had a case of someone from London who bought a house in a rural area .a lovely glen near the Clyde Coast .He complained constantly about the Cockerel waking him up and eventually took the farmer to court over it .
Thankfully the Sherrif advised him that if he felt he couldn't live with country noises he shouldn't have MOVED to the country and told him cockerels have been crowing at daybreak since time imemorial .
They put their house on the market the same day .I think he though the rules should have been changed for him and was angry when they weren't .

paddyann Sat 16-Feb-19 12:59:02

On the other hand there is quite a lot of dissent about Flamingoland building on Loch Lomondside ..its an area of immense natural beauty and not what our tourists would come here for so we're trying to stop it going ahead

SueDonim Sat 16-Feb-19 13:10:07

Our council built a care home for the elderly next to the local senior school. Objectors told and told the council that noise would be a problem but the council pushed on anyway.

The care home had barely been occupied when the complaints about residents being disturbed by children playing started coming in. Consequently, they were no longer allowed to play football or other games on the grass and as that was the only open space the school had, it meant there was nowhere for the pupils to get any exercise during break times. angry

jura2 Sat 16-Feb-19 13:15:24

totally different paddyann - keep up the fight.

M0nica Sat 16-Feb-19 19:30:40

Parsley, the same happened in our village. There was a farm yard conversion about 50 yards from the railway (the Bristol mainline). One owner sold after a year because of the sound of the trains.

EllanVannin Sat 16-Feb-19 19:37:39

What about the poor souls who have to put up with a waste disposal dump on their doorsteps with no hope of ever selling their homes besides them having to endure the stench which is making the local residents ill ?
I honestly can't think of anything worse than that. Can you ?

gillybob Sat 16-Feb-19 19:47:39

There was a feature on TV recently ( I’m thinking the one show but could be wrong ) where a new resident complained about the noise coming from an animal sanctuary situated across some fields to them . The sanctuary had been there for many decades . An abatement order was served on the animal sanctuary even though the newcomer knew full well they were there before they bought their home . So unfair.

M0nica Sun 17-Feb-19 17:40:31

We live 2 doors down from a pub. It has never caused us any problems. Yes, in the summer, they occasionally have a live band ( three or four time), and the noise drifted over but it certainly never bothered us.

Someone bought the bungalow next door, complained about the noise, and although almost every other house in the vicinity, including us, wrote in saying that the noise caused us no inconvenience, the pub was still served with a noise abatement order sad

jura2 Sun 17-Feb-19 20:44:05

we lived next door to a historic pub for over 30 years. Then it was taken over by Wetherspoons - and it turned into a nightmare- they put a smoking zone at the side, in line with our bedroom window- and punters would be very loud and stay way beyond closing times.

Thank goodness we were ready to sell and go. It is now a childrens nursery.

PECS Sun 17-Feb-19 22:53:27

At the school where I was head, which built late 1800s, I had complaints from a chap, whose 1930s home backed on to the far side of the school field, because twice a year he was disturbed by a) the school summer fair Saturday 11a.m- 2p.m. & b) the leavers picnic 5-7 p.m.on a Friday eve. The kids sang & played music at the events. He shouted at me, " You are music mad here"!!

Jalima1108 Sun 17-Feb-19 23:11:43

It is now a childrens nursery.
I hope they moved the 'smoking zone' away from the nursery end!