Gransnet forums

News & politics

Shemima Begum

(494 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Mar-19 16:25:31

LBC are reporting that SB lawyers are trying to verify that her new born son has died

trisher Thu 14-Mar-19 11:07:35

EV
Things are bad enough in prisons with the prison officers dealing with extremists because of a gang culture among the Muslim prisoners resulting in violence and drug trafficking
Actually I think many who convert to the Muslim faith in prison or who are Muslims when they are arrested actually forsake anything which might be considered drugs, including alcohol. The gang and drug culture is largely unrelated to religion.
I do think EV that your posts exhibit an anti-Islamic theme that can only be described as racist.
As for the homeless and ex-servicemen I think you will find that most of those sympathetic towards SB are the same people who constantly post about the disgusting way the poor and underprivileged are treated and have suffered under this government.

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Mar-19 23:41:50

EllanVannin, you are confusing different issues.
And in fact, insulting quite a lot of Gransnetters in the process by insinuating that they do not care about the homeless, injured servicemen, bereaved families, refugees etc etc because their views may differ from yours about this situation.

Lily65 Wed 13-Mar-19 21:56:19

EV, take a break mate. You seem a bit tired and out of sorts.

EllanVannin Wed 13-Mar-19 21:15:03

I'm well aware what the thread's about I was making comparisons to the treatment of the good and the bad and there DOES appear to be more concern about SB and her ilk than is what I would call normal.

I'm no do-gooder or I too would be joining the ranks of those of you who shed pity on those who find be-heading and other atrocities entertaining.

M0nica Wed 13-Mar-19 20:24:00

Oh, for heavens sake, Ellan, go and read the archive of Gransnet and you will see the many threads where people talk about concern for the homeless, the work they do with organisation that help the homeless.

This thread is primarily about Shamima Begum and has widened out to discuss the wider problem of the British men who went out to fight for ISIS and the women who joined them, some of whom also played an active part in the atrocities.

Why cannot a thread discuss the subject in the OP without someone having to trail odours of sanctimony through the thread by always making sure that there is a at least one irrelevant post referring to the poor. The poor are real people with real problems and shoudn't be treated like a trophy for some do-gooder to carry around because by doing so it makes them feel good.

Lily65 Wed 13-Mar-19 20:10:04

So were we at war with Iraq and Afghanistan or not?

As for fighting for queen and country, words fail.

EllanVannin Wed 13-Mar-19 20:06:52

It would appear that nobody gives a damn about our homeless on the streets, which include servicemen and others who through no fault of their own are homeless.

Yet-------you all talk about rehabilitating dangerous people and generally looking after them. Do any of them live on the streets ? No, because they're better looked after than those who fought for Queen and country. Fact.

Is it any wonder that I feel the way I do ? There's no justice

Lily65 Wed 13-Mar-19 20:04:30

How can a view be a fact?

EllanVannin Wed 13-Mar-19 19:49:13

I'm in agreeance with them aren't I or I wouldn't have quoted them ? Therefore they're my views too ! D'oh !

Anja Wed 13-Mar-19 19:44:13

FFS these are not your own ‘views’. Can you see that?

EllanVannin Wed 13-Mar-19 19:42:55

Pardon me for having my own views !!

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Mar-19 19:37:50

I don't think there is much more than can be said either, unless there is further news.

Chewbacca Wed 13-Mar-19 19:35:32

Completely agree Anja. It diminishes any rational discussion.

Anja Wed 13-Mar-19 19:32:54

Chewbacca everything that could be said about this unfortunate woman has been said. Threads do move on, but when it comes to blatant misinformation on a related topic I’m sure you’ll agree that this has to be challenged.

Further when it is found to be sourced from a know racist site you wouldn’t want that to pass unnoticed either.

Chewbacca Wed 13-Mar-19 18:48:35

This is so far off topic now it's become meaningless.

M0nica Wed 13-Mar-19 18:34:25

You do not accept government statistics but you do accept those of the Gatestone Institute The organization has attracted attention for publishing false articles and being a source of viral falsehoods.

I prsume you also believe that the earth is flat, Elvis still lives and Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun escaped to South America to a happy retirement in the sun.

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Mar-19 18:09:59

I thought it was to do with decimal points Gonegirl

Gonegirl Wed 13-Mar-19 18:03:41

I only said because EV keeps calling me Conegirl. wink

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Mar-19 17:59:21

EV Specsavers?
Gonegirl grin

(except that this is not really funny!)

Lily65 Wed 13-Mar-19 17:57:27

Yours certainly aren't.

EllanVannin Wed 13-Mar-19 17:19:23

I'm afraid that I don't give much credence ( if any ) to this government nor the think-tanks who make up for it as the immigration subject is/has gone beyond their control. ( they're rubbish at figures too ! )

If it's taken these last two years to ignore what was clearly a democratic vote then their trust in what counts as in the interest of the public is all but diminished.

We're being fed lies from every angle and the media/press are only as good as what's been gleaned from the various politicians. No two stories are ever the same.

M0nica Wed 13-Mar-19 17:18:14

Sorry for repating your quote Anja.

M0nica Wed 13-Mar-19 17:01:20

The Gatestone Institute (formerly Stonegate Institute and Hudson New York) is a right-wing anti-Muslim think tank with a focus on Islam and the Middle East. The organization has attracted attention for publishing false articles and being a source of viral falsehoods

First sentence of the Wikipedia entry on the Gatestone Institute, further detail given if you go on the site.

We can now assess the accuracy and reliability of any statistics they publish. I am not sure I would place much reliance in them.

I suggest you look at the much more reliable figures produced by the House of Commons Library researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN04334 and in that document click on the download: Commons Briefing papers SN04334, Author: Georgina Sturge. This shows the UK prison population at roughly 83,000 (as others have said). 13,000, about 15% claim to be of the muslim faith. Most of those are guilty of all the ordinary every day offences of violence against the person, theft, sexual offences, robbery and drugs.

The number of terrorists among those is only 228. I quote from another reliable source Islamic extremists make up the majority of the 228 people imprisoned in the UK for terrorist offences, at 82 % of the total, followed by 13% far right, and 6% driven by other ideologies, including those linked to Northern Ireland. www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/uk-prison-far-right-arrests-terrorists-conviction-national-action-a8398146.html.

There are several thousand people under investigation and many plots are spiked every year, but even then the numbers are very small.

Anja Wed 13-Mar-19 16:35:50

So EV is that where you get your ‘facts’ from?

The Gatestone Institute is a right-wing anti-Muslim think tank with a focus on Islam and the Middle East. The organization has attracted attention for publishing false articles and being a source of viral falsehoods. Gatestone was founded in 2012 by Nina Rosenwald, who serves as its president. Wikipedia

notanan2 Wed 13-Mar-19 16:34:46

Sorry Anja maths was never my strong point!

Then stop posting about nonsense numbers