Gransnet forums

News & politics

Misreading the country?

(416 Posts)
Jane10 Wed 13-Mar-19 07:01:27

It seems to me from talking to others and just listening in on conversations on buses and in shops etc that there is an overwhelming feeling that Westminster should just get on with it! This isn't a brexit/remainer thread. It's just expressing concern that Westminster is in its own little mixed up bubble and is just ignoring the people they're supposed to represent ie the great British public.

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 18:24:36

Wait till Saturday

andycameron69 Wed 20-Mar-19 16:59:25

lol true over the top.................

grin
grin

out we go , Treason may will not get a third vote on her remain deal

next week friday out we go totally

legally, most exciting

lemongrove Wed 20-Mar-19 12:29:03

Most of us have not lived in another country for 30 or 40 years jura otherwise am sure that we would be happy to discuss things on a forum in another language.
Your grammar is excellent but you are certainly melodramatic at times.

Fennel Wed 20-Mar-19 12:12:55

"However, made me wonder how many would be happy to debate and discuss in a language which is not their mother tongue.."
Jura I have often thought that could be why you come across as melodramatic so often. Is it a Swiss trait?
Your english spelling grammar and punctuation are perfect as far as I can see. But it's your extreme expressions that caused my comparison with the DM.

jura2 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:02:00

Yes, great cartoon - saw it yesterday and OH said 'shall we rename Minou'.

Fennel, btw. been trying to find the post where you said I wrote in DM style - but can't. The 'stooping low' was for the DM, not you. But yes, I shall admit it was a shock as the DM represents much of what I truly despise. However, made me wonder how many would be happy to debate and discuss in a language which is not their mother tongue...

Would you andy?

Fennel Wed 20-Mar-19 09:33:58

I love the cartoon, Granny23 grin.

crystaltipps Wed 20-Mar-19 07:09:02

No deal would destroy agriculture in Northern Ireland, it will become a smugglers’ paradise, this is one of the biggest arguments against no deal and no politician will want that to be their legacy.

ReadyMeals Wed 20-Mar-19 07:00:49

I am a bit confused about one technicality. Supposing we leave on WTO without a deal. Ok so what happens about Ireland? We won't have EU's backstop arrangement for the border so what arrangement will we have? Has that even been thought about by the authorities?

andycameron69 Tue 19-Mar-19 21:36:43

fabulous thank you

I spoke French in Abidjan

grin

andycameron69 Tue 19-Mar-19 21:28:24

I am so thrilled to leave WTO the law,

grin

Granny23 Tue 19-Mar-19 21:15:26

Specially for Andy.

lemongrove Tue 19-Mar-19 20:53:52

Day6 I think ridicule is the only thing that desperate Remainers have left to them, so a few use it liberally.

jura2 Tue 19-Mar-19 19:41:38

NOT at all Day 6. Many of us have said we felt that so many were lied to, misled, manipulated - not all, but far too many. I know you will stand by your 'we knew exactly what we voted for' - but most people did not - on either side btw- although one side did have the backing of many experts who had the knowledge and experience. Their predictions have not all materialised, some did, and in a much worse way than expected. But we haven't left yet.

So no hatred - for sure- at times a bit of ridicule, perhaps- guilty as charged- but in the face of comments and reactions which were so OTT (not necessarily on GN, but out there) that it was irresistible, in these very tense, stressful and worrying times - to mock.

varian Tue 19-Mar-19 18:08:06

I do not hate people who voted leave and have never suggested such a thing.

I do feel sorry for good people who believed the lies of the leave campaign and were so badly misled.

I have great respect for people like Oliver Norgrove who have the guts to admit they got it wrong.

Day6 Tue 19-Mar-19 18:05:29

varian why do you persist in this myth that any, let alone all GN posters who voted to leave the EU are UKIP or Farage

Was thinking the same thing myself lemon
It's almost an obsessional hatred of people who voted Leave and an urge to ridicule them at every turn.

varian Tue 19-Mar-19 18:04:57

Oliver Norgrove, who was a member of UKIP and worked for Vote Leave during the Brexit referendum but would now back Remain, took two years to change his mind. Last summer he realised that we needed to keep the institutions of the EU and to leave while doing so meant dropping our say.

He realised he was surrounded by people who were just lying, for instance saying you could have trade on WTO terms without an Irish border - that would be illegal under international law.

Oliver is obviously intelligent and does not appear to be racist. He can explain how he was persuaded by the "they need us more than we need them " arguments and criticisms of the EU.

He is clearly much more knowledgeable and well informed than certain high profile leave voters like Tim Martin of Weatherspoons who is in constant demand by the media who always look for those with extreme positions. This interview with James O'Brien was only his second radio interview.

He says "I care about intellectual honesty. The way to fix politics is just be more honest"

www.norgroveblog.co.uk/

If only leave voters would listen to Oliver and people like him.

andycameron69 Tue 19-Mar-19 17:53:02

he is fabulous
grin

jura2 Tue 19-Mar-19 17:49:04

yes, they would, wouldn't they?

petra Tue 19-Mar-19 17:33:00

Jura2
The majority of comments disagree with him. One mentioned that he voted remain and had now changed his mind so that cancels out the kidult.
The majority also thought he was lying.

jura2 Tue 19-Mar-19 16:17:49

Well done this young man - a very intelligent and honest leaver- it takes real guts, especially when you have been so involved and live in strong 'leave' communities.

www.facebook.com/LBC/videos/2515384758708220/

Bridgeit Tue 19-Mar-19 15:22:07

Yes , Varian I believe he has misread the country
And I believe many of his supporters have misread him.
I think the lack of support for his /this march says it all.

varian Tue 19-Mar-19 15:08:25

Unless we revoke Article 50 before leaving this brexit fiasco will go on and on and on and on for the rest of our lives-but Mogg told us it would be OK in 50 years - when nearly all of us will be long since gone

lemongrove Tue 19-Mar-19 11:26:07

Grandad43 can we all take the strain of another two years?
?

lemongrove Tue 19-Mar-19 11:24:33

varian why do you persist in this myth that any, let alone all GN posters who voted to leave the EU are UKIP or Farage
Supporters?Or are interested in that march?
It’s bizarre and does you no favours.

varian Tue 19-Mar-19 10:54:20

On day 3 of Farage's pro-brexit march there must have been about 60 marchers (although one reporter counted 77 including reporters and photographers). No sign of Farage. Has he misread the country?