Gransnet forums

News & politics

Haves and have nots - Lorraine Kelly

(174 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 21-Mar-19 23:39:29

Every day I work on behalf of people who have the bare minimum, and sometimes not even that, to live on. As would others I know, my husband and I would pay more tax if it meant a more even distribution of wealth in society, but instead we are informed that people who can afford to pay the tax they owe are not subject to the same rules as poorer people.

Lorraine Kelly has won her case and will now pay less tax, but I suggest she has lost her integrity. Her avoidance of paying tax has been ruled legal, but that doesn't make it right.

Once again the rules for the 'haves' are applied unequally to those who are the 'have nots'.

Anniebach Fri 22-Mar-19 10:32:22

Is anyone their ‘real self’ in front of tv cameras ?

etheltbags1 Fri 22-Mar-19 10:42:29

I always liked lorraine kelly but not now. Im shocked

TerriBull Fri 22-Mar-19 10:43:53

I brought this up on another thread, but I think the Danish historian who turned up at Davos with the "revolutionary" idea that if everyone, corporations and wealthy individuals, just paid their fair share of taxes then maybe the world wouldn't need so many making grandstanding philanthropic gestures. Of course that strange idea didn't go down well with everyone there. He also took the opportunity at that time to highlight the fact that there were a staggering amount of private jets there, why? to attend a lecture on climate change of course. I think everybody is a bit tired of the "Don't do as I do, do as I say" brigade.

KatyK Fri 22-Mar-19 10:47:25

I know this is beside the point, but I can never understand why Lorraine Kelly has got where she is. She is fawning and sycophantic towards every single person I have watched her interview.

aggie Fri 22-Mar-19 10:51:24

Her show must be popular , I just see adverts , or promos for the prize draw every time I accidently turn on , she seems to spend more time on them . I was told the more adverts the more popular the programme , it will be interesting to see if there is a drop in that content

Blinko Fri 22-Mar-19 11:07:56

I'm stunned at how much LK must earn to have a £1.2m tax bill. No wonder people defect from the beeb to itv.

Caro57 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:08:10

Do we really know what other people do? Many wealthy people - some being celebs - give vast sums of money and time to 'good causes' but prefer to do it all 'under the radar'.........
Tax matters - evasion / avoidance the age old discussion!!

Lily65 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:12:01

Wasn't she climbing a mountain or something for poor people a while back?

grannyactivist, one must be aware of generalisations of course but I bet some of the people you support are absolutely great. I am currently working with somebody who has not had a silver spoon, or even a spoon come to that, but she is very funny and kind.

Irenelily Fri 22-Mar-19 11:16:50

Talking about people “getting” - I dispute “earning”- lots of money - how about footballers?! I once read an article by a young professional footballer who said his grandmother once said “I can’t understand why you are paid such an inordinate amount of money for kicking about a piece of leather!) - neither can I!

jaylucy Fri 22-Mar-19 11:20:21

It all comes down to if you have a good accountant that knows all the loopholes!
I believe that most if not all of us are over paying tax because we are ignorant of the rules and regs over tax.
I claimed an over payment a couple of years ago, that went back for 5 years - the tax office work out the refund owed on a rollover basis rather than year by year, so you actually only get a portion of what you are due!
Trump only being paid a dollar ? Don't make me laugh! Why does he need to be paid if he's a multi millionaire anyway ? But then I suppose something has to give to pay for that wall !! smile smile smile

monkeebeat Fri 22-Mar-19 11:21:25

Ooooh!!! I’m was a nurse. Over the years I found different patients needed different ways of being cared for - eg the ‘lets have a joke and banter’ types or the ‘formal and serious’ or the ‘give it to me straight in medical terms’ would produce a different persona from me as I walked into their room, the bright smile on my face for my patients when my own world was collapsing around me, never mind the professionalism, generally, I ‘put on’ when I dressed in my uniform.
Can I qualify for tax relief?
Alot of ‘customer facing’ employees are ‘artists’ dealing with the rude, the obnoxious and dangerous ‘customers’ they desl with.
Lorraine Kelly - part of your appeal is we thought we were seeing ‘you’
If it is an act then it becomes uninteresting and boring.

Gaggi3 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:23:06

That was a great article, TerriBull, and nailed the perpetrators of greed and pollution nicely. They were, of course, impervious.

Hm999 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:24:49

A couple of points. Surely all people who are 'entertainers on TV should be taxed the same? From reading about this, it appears to be not the case.

Secondly, years ago all TV/radio people were employees of BBC or ITV. Then all these companies sprang up making programmes, and subsequently the regulars made themselves companies, and their salaries were paid to the companies. They then took a regular wage from their company.

I paid PAYE all my working life, so I don't pretend to understand tax law then or now. But I do know that I paid my tax, not a penny more or less. I avoided paying unnecessary income tax; in years gone by I claimed for mortgage and children etc. People who pay more tax than they need are daft.

Final point is that we can all remember TV People who were on our screens all the time. And then suddenly, they weren't, and we never saw them again until, as Z listers, they appeared on a reality show. I think these companies are a hedge against that.

alibats Fri 22-Mar-19 11:31:18

Oh please people - does this really surprise you....? As soon as they become known-entities ( stop using the words "celebrities" & "stars") then fame & fortune feeds their bloated egos and they just want more, more, more! I really am sick to the back teeth of seeing these people, who are already paid shed -loads for presenting , also doing cringe-inducing ads for all sorts of companies and products. Seriously- how much money do they need? They're just all oinkers wallowing in the trough, and inadvertently we are the idiots financing their illustrious lifestyle - whilst we continue to worship this cult of "celebrity".None of these people are what they portray. It is just their public facade - so don't be fooled.

Anniebach Fri 22-Mar-19 11:34:48

I am puzzled by quizqueen post, if Cumberbatch and others like him agree to take the minimum wage cinema prices would drop then the plebs can enjoy going to see films more often .

Surely this applies to everyone , from cleaners to physiotherapists, to any job

Willow10 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:38:50

I thought LK looked a bit strained this morning. Probably due to the backlash on social media. There seems to be something odd that happens to people when they get rich. I've always thought it - the more they have, the more they want. They just seem to get greedier and greedier. Why? There are no pockets in shrouds - what do they need all that money for? And I hate to see the totally frivolous way some of these so-called celebs spend it on ridiculous indulgences for themselves, their children and pets. If they have so much, why can't they do something good with it?confused

Cycorax Fri 22-Mar-19 11:43:09

Who is Lorraine Kelly?

EllieRose43 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:45:04

Despite finding her gushing attitude to everyone and everything rather irritating, I always thought she was a down to earth person. Sad to find she's just another money-grabber pretending to be something she isn't.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Fri 22-Mar-19 11:47:54

I work as a personal of me everyday in retail where I have to pretend to like some of the customers. Don't get me wrong 99.9% of the time our customers are great but sometimes there are some where you just have to "act" like a patient polite person rather than say exactly what you wantgrin

libra10 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:51:58

I agree with all your comments quizqueen. You have hit the nail right on the head!

Phoebes Fri 22-Mar-19 12:09:44

Quizqueen: Who is Dominic Cumberbatch?

madmum38 Fri 22-Mar-19 12:10:37

Have never liked her or Holly Willoughby both of them are too jolly and laughing at nothing all the time

Marg123 Fri 22-Mar-19 12:12:28

Never have liked her. Always avoid watching her.

KatyK Fri 22-Mar-19 12:13:25

It's Benedict Cumberbatch smile

FarNorth Fri 22-Mar-19 12:22:25

I'm sure LK has made enough money by now to have been able to set up provision for a time when she's no longer in the public eye.
Which could turn out to be sooner than she expected.