Gransnet forums

News & politics

English petition

(25 Posts)
mcem Sat 06-Apr-19 09:16:56

Granny23 thanks for flagging up an excellent article.

Granny23 Sat 06-Apr-19 08:46:49

I do not like the word Granted in this context. Granted implies that some higher power has to 'give' us our country back. I prefer 'reclaimed'.

Cherrytree59 Fri 05-Apr-19 15:35:40

After England, Scotland, Wales and NI are granted independence should we not then be turning our thoughts to Kernow and independence? smile

Granny23 Fri 05-Apr-19 13:46:04

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2019/04/04/whatever-has-become-of-england/?fbclid=IwAR2Ht1AXZ96O-tsTnzJDw6BDuEdZoii6oruKxM5qm-YfqzW0xa_sE7t3k7Q

Latest blog from Mr Murphy who explained the economics of Scottish Independence so thoroughly during the Scottish Referendum. I do not have enough knowledge of the day to day situation in England to be able to comment but wondered what England based GN's make of his opinion. Is he exagerating or do you think there has been a big shift towards an exclusionist right?

Caledonai14 Fri 05-Apr-19 11:10:56

Even if you had an English parliament, you'd need some sort of devolution for areas like the north of England because they require different solutions to the ones which work in London for example.

I definitely agree England should have its own Parliament, but there is still too much in the other home countries that relies on Westminster decisions which are - quite rightly - influenced by the biggest and most central area.

We have exactly the same issues in Scotland because things which work well in Glasgow or Edinburgh don't always fit nicely for people in the Highlands (as just one example).

I still think regional parliaments are a good idea with some sort of overseeing central elected Parliament and some checks and balances to ensure the bigger central body can't bully the outlying local units on purely political dogma.

Listening and agreeing that one size does not fit all (oh and proportional representation thistle at all levels) would be the main requirements.

Never gonna happen, I fear.

Scribbles Fri 05-Apr-19 10:33:35

I have now successfully activated the link and my signature has been added.

I agree that it'll probably never happen but it felt good to make my opinion known.

GabriellaG54 Thu 04-Apr-19 22:29:46

Granny23
I agree in part and your similie to families is very valid, however, I doubt very much whether it would ever come to fruition.

Granny23 Thu 04-Apr-19 22:17:32

As an active campaigner for Scottish Independence, I have signed the petition for those in England who also want their Country to be Independent. I must stress that this is not mischief making. Rather it is because I genuinely believe that the four Countries currently in the Union are struggling to find a way forward that suits everyone. I honestly believe that we are related but like any extended family all trying to live by the same rules in the same house, there is friction that can only be resolved by having a seperate home for each family unit, where they can make their own choices, can decide their own budget priorities, how much to contribute to the common pot (i.e. taxes, NI, etc.) how much to save for the future, how much to spend on essentials or the odd luxury. whether to join with the neighbours in certain projects or do their own thing.

I seriously believe that if each Country were self governing /self financing then we could co exist amicably as friends and neighbours without all this squabbling over who got more goodies, or who got their own way more than the other.

mcem Thu 04-Apr-19 21:16:50

Should I report this thread as racist, with its references to getting rid of pesky Scots?
With the huge majority of MPs from English constituencies plus the powers of EVEL, you are wrong to vent your spleen on Scots.
However I have sympathy with those in some English regions who are fed up of Londoncentric policies and who find themselves ignored and neglected by WM.

Scribbles Thu 04-Apr-19 19:23:07

I tried to sign it but, when I clicked on the confirmatory link in the email to confirm my signature, I got an error code. There seems to be no way of contacting the originator to correct this so, alas, it will go forever unsigned.sad

Anja Thu 04-Apr-19 15:52:55

Greyduster do you think Trump was Emperor Hadrian in a previous existence? Might explain a lot ?

Anja Thu 04-Apr-19 15:50:33

We could extend Offa’s Dyke and shove Wales out into the Irish Sea Annie ???

Aspen Thu 04-Apr-19 15:46:20

Of the 30 emails I sent out to friends only 2 have said they will sign this. I shall remind them of their decision when Scotland gets it's next go at voting for Independence and they want to join in!

EllanVannin Sat 30-Mar-19 15:17:44

We also should be a United Europe too !

Greyduster Sat 30-Mar-19 12:28:42

We’ve got a wall - Hadrian built it. Just wants tidying up a bit?! Seriously, I wouldn’t sign it either. I am proud that we are a United Kingdom and want it to stay that way.

paddyann Sat 30-Mar-19 12:07:01

Aspen signed and shared it a while back ,the people who complain about England not having its own parliament are obviously a bit thick.With 85% of all MP's being English its quite clear that its ONLY what England wants that gets passed .The rest of us are collateral damage .Wheres bloody Guy Fawkes when you need him ...lol

Jabberwok Sat 30-Mar-19 11:03:14

I'm not signing anything, ever!!!!

Jabberwok Sat 30-Mar-19 11:02:30

To be fair to DC, at the time of the Scottish Referendum the EU referendum was two years away and he couldn't possibly have known the outcome! so what he said was actually true (hard to believe I know!!) at that moment in time!

Cherrytree59 Sat 30-Mar-19 10:56:56

I would be interested to know what the thoughts are of SNP GNers.
It would probably help their cause.
However it would certainly upset those in Scotland, NI and Wales who wish to be part of the United Kingdom.

For that reason I will not sign the petition.

Anniebach Sat 30-Mar-19 10:49:05

Are you going to do as Trump is doing ? Building a wall?

Offa’s Dyke comes to mind

maryeliza54 Sat 30-Mar-19 10:47:33

Stil a long way away and I’m still old

Urmstongran Sat 30-Mar-19 10:45:07

I love holidaying in Kyle of Lochalsh, near Skye. It’s on the Gulf Stream with it’s own microclimate. Palm trees grow in Plockton - it’s gorgeous!

maryeliza54 Sat 30-Mar-19 10:40:03

Get rid of them? I’d join them if I were younger, their weather were better and it wasn’t so far away.

Urmstongran Sat 30-Mar-19 10:38:53

No I won’t sign it.

I hope we stay as the U.K. but I wouldn’t blame some Scottish people wanting to separate since Cameron sold them a lie at their last referendum. That said, I don’t believe the majority of Scots would actually vote to Leave.

Aspen Sat 30-Mar-19 09:36:37

For several years now I have listened to English friends complain about the unfairness of Scots being allowed a vote on their Independence. May I draw your attention to a petition that can be signed if you want a debate in parliament on whether ENGLAND should leave the United Kingdom.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/231563

100,000 signatures are needed by 12th May.

Don't say in the future you haven't had a chance to get rid of these peskey Scots.