Gransnet forums

News & politics

When all this fiasco started!

(8 Posts)
varian Fri 05-Apr-19 10:48:17

In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the EU?

Field work dates: 1 August 2016 - 1 April 2019
Data from: Great Britain, United Kingdom
Results from: 114 polls

whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/in-highsight-do-you-think-britain-was-right-or-wrong-to-vote-to-leave-the-eu/?removed

lemongrove Thu 04-Apr-19 11:39:07

Actually, Corbyn couldn’t wait to trigger article 50, he has always been a euro sceptic ( the only thing I agree with him about.)
We will not be staying in the EU, that is simply wishful thinking by some.

Dinahmo Thu 04-Apr-19 11:35:41

Anniebach - why would Corbyn know the day after the referendum about any irregularities? I don't suppose anybody knew about them, apart from the perpetrators and their close allies.

Grammaretto Wed 03-Apr-19 09:36:21

Well put Cindersdad
I remember thinking at least Trump can be voted out in 4 years time but this important decision would change things forever for us.
Now we have the worst of all worlds looming. Pessimistic, Moi?
Does Cinder's dad by any chance know a fairy godmother?

Anniebach Wed 03-Apr-19 09:17:01

Corbyn was on tv the day following the referendum saying
‘Evoke article 50 immediately ‘, did he not know there had been irregularities?

Cindersdad Wed 03-Apr-19 08:23:24

MaizieD - you are right. I was just being a little kinder. Lord Sugar on Channel 5 News would like to see lying Brexiteers prosecuted. I do agree that some politicians have behaved so irresponsibly that they should never be allowed to stand for office again. Then it should be up to the electorate not to vote for them.

MaizieD Wed 03-Apr-19 07:58:59

Just a couple of points I'd disagree with, Cindersdad.

Theresa May was handed a toxic situation

That portrays her as a passive victim. She isn't. She reached out and eagerly grabbed that toxic situation. Then got into bed with hardline Eurosceptics who'd caused the trouble in the first place.

The referendum was so riddled with irregularities..

Not 'irregularities', let's tell it like it is, illegalities. ILLEGALITIES

Illegalities that May has known about and prefers to ignore. That makes her complicit in destroying democracy IMO.

Cindersdad Wed 03-Apr-19 07:08:30

I remember at the time of the Referendum it being said "A Soft Brexit is Pointless" because you have to pay with no say. "A Hard Brexit is too damaging" because harming trade with the EU is too damaging to the economy. Still enough people, well 17.4 million(52% of voters though only about 37% of the electorate), were duped into following an almost impossible dream. Reality is finally beginning to strike home yet still they persist in trying to respect the referendum

The referendum was called because David Cameron was concerned that a few Tory MP's might loose thier seats to UKIP. In fact UKIP never gained a single seat in an election and lost credibility after the referendum. He put party before country when his party was already splintered through drifting too far right for its own good. Hardly the actions of a worthy leader.

Theresa May was handed a toxic situation which she did her best to handle. Her fault was not applying common sense and compounding the issue by not listening to parliament or considering that the reasons people voted for Brexit were in many cases based on misinformation and populism.

We may still need second referendum properly defined to choose between the Brexit eventually agreed and staying in the EU. This with luck should allow us to put whole wretched business behind us.

They could simply cancel Brexit but this may lead to protests about ignoring the will of the people though most of the people would be relieved. The referendum was so riddled with irregularities and blatant lies that it reasonably be considered invalid.

Brexiteers say that the economy has not been affected but Brexit has caused a drop in sterling, a drop in investment and it hasn't actually happened yet. True government has been sidelined for the sake of party dogma. As Lord Sugar says if you lie in business you can be prosecuted, similar standards should be applied when false promises are made by politicians.