Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brunei

(123 Posts)
maryeliza54 Fri 05-Apr-19 07:41:57

Is anyone interested in discussing how we should respond to Brunei introducing the stoning to death of homosexuals? Should we expel,or suspend them from the Commonwealth?

EllanVannin Fri 05-Apr-19 13:17:27

Maryeliza----we interfered in Iraq when Saddam Hussein was leader and look what happened there !

maryeliza54 Fri 05-Apr-19 13:20:51

Yes we did - we’ve interfered a lot. But I’m not sure that this is relevant to discussing Brunei

Ginny42 Fri 05-Apr-19 13:22:05

I simply cannot imagine anyone throwing stones at someone until they're dead. Imagine for one moment how that feels, and to be killed for their sexuality, is horrific; something which is innate to the person/persons and nothing they can prevent or avoid. Adultery was also included in the news item I read.

maryeliza54 Fri 05-Apr-19 13:36:13

From the BBC website

“What is punishable under the changes to the penal code?
The law mostly applies to Muslims, including children who have reached puberty, though some aspects will apply to non-Muslims.
Under the new laws, individuals accused of certain acts will be convicted if they confess or if there were witnesses present.
Offences such as rape, adultery, sodomy, robbery and insult or defamation of the Prophet Muhammad will carry the maximum penalty of death.
Lesbian sex carries a different penalty of 40 strokes of the cane and/or a maximum of 10 years in jail
The punishment for theft is amputation
Those who "persuade, tell or encourage" Muslim children under the age of 18 "to accept the teachings of religions other than Islam" are liable to a fine or jail
Individuals who have not reached puberty but are convicted of certain offences may be instead subjected to whipping.”

EllanVannin Fri 05-Apr-19 13:41:22

Maryeliza, no, it doesn't have any relevance other than it was caused by interference !

EllanVannin Fri 05-Apr-19 13:43:35

Anyone who's ever been to Dubai will note that certain behaviours there will attract a penalty.
These are rules of a country------deal with it.

Jane10 Fri 05-Apr-19 13:46:18

Absolutely no place for countries like this in the commonwealth. Expel Brunei publicly and at once!

EllanVannin Fri 05-Apr-19 13:49:44

We have even more drastic rules on our doorstep in Northern Ireland where abortion is illegal. Shouldn't we worry about that instead ?

maryeliza54 Fri 05-Apr-19 13:49:50

I think you are missing the point EV. This is about a member of the Commonwealth and we have a perfect right to criticise its behaviour ( as we still would even if it wasn’t) Would you not have criticised apartheid?

EllanVannin Fri 05-Apr-19 13:57:51

What other countries do or don't do is of no concern to me and if visiting those countries I abide by their rules commonwealth or not. I wouldn't dream of telling them or anyone how to run/rule their country be it for religious reasons or as in apartheid, being segregated.

In this particular case in Brunei, I notice the usual and predictable " celebrities " are in on it Zzzzzzzz.

maryeliza54 Fri 05-Apr-19 14:58:29

Well personally I don’t visit countries like that but I agree that if you visit a country you have to accept its laws

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Apr-19 15:06:55

Unfortutunately there are lots of Commonwealth countries whose human rights are questionable, Homosexuality illegal, women castigated and subjected to unacceptable limitations as they go about their daily lives.

Brunei adopting strict Sharia Law will not be influenced by outside forces. Their leader is an educated man, he knew what the worlds reaction to this would be and went ahead regardless.

I wish I knew what I / We as individuals could do to influence any of these barbaric practices in any of the Commonwealth Countries but so far I have come up with zilch???

mcem Fri 05-Apr-19 15:07:07

Surely I am not the only one on GN who boycotted South African oranges?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Apr-19 15:10:18

mcem I boycotted all South African products. MrGG13 wants to travel to SA but I still have reservations about the country. (Yes I know I am odd)

maryeliza54 Fri 05-Apr-19 15:41:58

Anyone with a heart boycotted SA goods.

Callistemon Fri 05-Apr-19 17:44:23

Anyone who's ever been to Dubai will note that certain behaviours there will attract a penalty.
But Dubai is not a member of The Commonwealth. What is the point of comparing a non-Commonwealth country with Brunei?

The Commonwealth has certain rules regarding human rights which members should adhere to.
We should be persuading them to adopt those rules or they should be forced out.

Ginny42 Fri 05-Apr-19 17:58:42

Amnesty International have called for the immediate repeal of the law under International Human Rights Law. Under International Law stoning and amputation constitute torture. What a disgrace for Britain to be associated with this barbaric treatment.

Amnesty calls upon the Brunei Government to refrain from implementing the laws and asks the international community to condemn Brunei.

Commonwealth nations should expel them and Britain should bring the army home.

Callistemon Fri 05-Apr-19 20:05:21

Monday 11th March 2019
The Queen's address at the Commonwealth Service: A Celebration of the Commonwealth at Westminster Abbey:

As we give thanks for our connections across the world, let us pray that we may dwell together in peace,
Prayers were said by Rabbi Debbie Young-Somers, representing Reformed Judaism; Maulana Sayed Ali Abbas Razawi, Shia Muslim community; Lord Singh of Wimbledon, Sikh community; and Father Daniel Humphreys, Roman Catholic Church.

www.westminster-abbey.org/abbey-news/commonwealth-service-2019

They were not all listening, were they.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Apr-19 20:28:36

GrannyGravy I wouldn't say it was a particularly safe place ( S.A. ) as one of my step GS's went, supposedly for two years with his regiment, the Scots Guards. He took wife and daughter in 2017, were originally there until this Sept/Oct, but for reasons only he knows they returned back here last year just before Christmas, a year short of the original arrangement. They were staying in Kenya.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Apr-19 20:31:14

Callistemon, I'm aware that Dubai isn't part of the Commonwealth but they have the same religions and laws as Brunei. That's why I compared them.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Apr-19 20:33:15

It's an Islamic ruling so who are we to argue ?

Callistemon Fri 05-Apr-19 23:19:06

I understand now EllanVannin, however, a Commonwealth country should agree to adhere to better human rights or it has no place in the Commonwealth.

GabriellaG54 Fri 05-Apr-19 23:20:24

Only when our own house is in order should we possibly be able to articulate our feelings with regard to other Commonwealth countries and not before.
We interfere far too much.
Imagine another country interfering in our justice system, if one can call it justice.

maryeliza54 Fri 05-Apr-19 23:23:05

<sighs and checks time of next weeks stoning in Guildford Market Place>

GabriellaG54 Fri 05-Apr-19 23:31:28

We import a lot more than just oranges from SA so the chance of boycotting their products is virtually nil.
I myself lease containers to shipping companies via a broker and have no idea on a weekly basis where they go or what they are carrying.
I'm not spending my life worrying about problems in other countries.
It's enough to watch my own country being flogged.