Gransnet forums

News & politics

EU elections

(252 Posts)
varian Fri 05-Apr-19 18:45:04

Higher proportion of UK voters say they would vote in EU election than turned out in the 2014 election!!!

news.sky.com/story/european-parliament-elections-a-quarter-of-public-would-boycott-poll-11685011

In 2014 very few voters were concerned about our membership of the EU. Thanks to Farage and the leave campaign liars we are now all much more aware of the issue. If leave voters want to boycott the EU elections. so be it.

Nonnie Fri 17-May-19 11:40:13

What is the point of this thread if we can't ask people what they believe? Is it just so some can say they are right and other wrong? I appreciate GG respecting other's views,as do I but I simply want to know what they are or I can't respect them? Is that difficult to understand?

In answer to GG Thank you for answering what others have been unable?unwilling to do. I have lost count of how many now. My responses are below.

"One is in the Armed Forces, deployed worldwide totally against European Army which Macron and Merkel are working towards." I don't think one would be enough for me and if in the EU we have the power of veto, if out we are on our own. They are 'working towards' but there are mixed opinions about whether it will happen or not.

One is a small business owner and is consistently undercut by Eastern European’s. Would that be any different if we were outside the EU?

"The AC who now run our family firm are of the opinion that the import tariffs imposed by the EU on non EU goods which we import keep the prices artificially high. (cannot give you more specific detail as I retired years ago)." Yes, I am sure there are some small companies which might be better off out of the EU but overall, thinking of the whole country, we are, imo, better off in.

"My European DIL is desperate for her birth country to have a referendum as are a lot of her fellow countrymen" A lot surprises me. I have friends and relatives in Germany, Portugal, Spain, France and NL and none of them want this to happen. They all recognise they are better off in than out although I think they all agree things could be better.

With respect (and I am sincere) you appear to be taking quite a narrow view based on your own experience without taking into account the bigger picture. I can understand that but it is not my way.

I conclude that the EU is not perfect but then what system is? I think that throwing the baby out with the bathwater is a very bad idea. However, I'm still waiting for someone to give me a different view.

I believe someone else has posted reasons for staying in so I hope all will read them. I will and see if I agree or not.

varian Fri 17-May-19 10:29:03

Britain’s Future: the shady no-deal Brexit group that spent £366,000 trying to sink Theresa May’s deal on Facebook. There is no indication of where Britain's Future is getting its money from.

inews.co.uk/news/britains-future-facebook-no-deal-brexit-group-political-spending-funding/

Shady unaccountable pro-brexit groups are out spending all political parties on surreptitious online campaigning, spreading poison and lies about the EU. There is a real danger that the EU elections are being criminally high-jacked in the same way as the fraudulent referendum of 2016.

MaizieD Thu 16-May-19 22:08:48

Guy what’s his face Ver.......(sorry I am not going to check how to spell his name) is on camera saying the intention of the EU is to do away with the veto.

Guy Verhofstadt is not 'the EU'. He can want away as much as he likes but he has to carry 27 (28) member states with him. Which I doubt he could do in this instance. Any more than the 'federal Europe' dream be achieved because a number of member states don't want it. The EU just isn't an homogeneous body of states all dancing to the same tune.

lemongrove Thu 16-May-19 21:03:22

I have been saying that for three years Petra grin

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-May-19 20:59:18

Petra - GG54 I agree, and I shall stop justifying my vote as from now!!!

petra Thu 16-May-19 20:42:20

GG54
some simply ask the question to shoot the responder down in flames
Spot on! Do they not see that leavers see through this cunning ploy grin I have to say,though, it's fun to follow their persistence grin

GabriellaG54 Thu 16-May-19 19:50:26

I wonder why certain people want leavers to explain their reasons for wanting to leave.
I personally think that's damned cheeky.
We're not in front of a committee who decides pass or fail.
If remainers want to know the facts about Brexit there is the internet, which is where they find their own links and articles copied and pasted innumerable times on GN.
I can safely bet that none of the remainers or fence-sitters on here will change their minds. Not a chance.
Some simply ask the question to shoot the responder down in flames...and they (and we) know it.
We're never going to be sitting targets.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 19:45:55

Something to read

www.thebrexitparty.com/

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-May-19 18:57:32

MaizieD if you care to do your research there is plenty of evidence Re the EU army.

Guy what’s his face Ver.......(sorry I am not going to check how to spell his name) is on camera saying the intention of the EU is to do away with the veto.

All this is available on the Internet- live audio so therefore not invented.

Off to prepare dinner for my family - good night and cheers ??

MaizieD Thu 16-May-19 18:50:18

this leaver hasn’t got a crystal ball,

Well, your children's crystal balls, then which predict a Federal Europe and a conscript army... which you clearly believe are right because you voted Leave on the strength of their predictions.

Not trying to be funny, but when these predictions are given as reasons for leaving then they must have had some power.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-May-19 18:34:16

MaizieD this leaver hasn’t got a crystal ball, all I am hearing at the moment from politicians, journalists and experts is just tit-for-tat playground jibes.

I absolutely despair for the UK and the future of our parliamentary system.

MaizieD Thu 16-May-19 18:24:31

I just find it amazing that the Leavers' crystal balls are absolutely spot on but Remain predictions are just 'project fear' and no-one can tell the future... hmm

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-May-19 18:06:24

I will give you a few Nonnie-

One is in the Armed Forces, deployed worldwide totally against European Army which Macron and Merkel are working towards.

One is a small business owner and is consistently undercut by Eastern European’s.

The AC who now run our family firm are of the opinion that the import tariffs imposed by the EU on non EU goods which we import keep the prices artificially high. (cannot give you more specific detail as I retired years ago).

My European DIL is desperate for her birth country to have a referendum as are a lot of her fellow countrymen.

I hope this answers some of your questions Nonnie, and Apologies to other posters who have “read it all before”

I would like to add that I respect all of the people who voted remain. I do however find the level of what can only be described as “abuse” which is consistently hurled between both sides on GN, in Parliament and the Media so very sad and I feel it will leave a very nasty scar on our beautiful UK

Jabberwok Thu 16-May-19 18:04:20

I don't want this country to become a federal state of a 'country' called Europe. I don't want my grandson requisitioned into a future EU army, and that's just for starters! Members of a trading block? fine! anything else? No! NO! NO!!
Grandad, Farages name is Nigel, not Jeremy! just thought I'd mention it!!

varian Thu 16-May-19 18:01:22

I think that those MPs who did vote to invoke Article 50 belong to parties which have since become lower and lower in all the opinion polls.

Jabberwok Thu 16-May-19 17:49:24

I said, 'a good majority of MP's voted for article 50' ,not all!!

Nonnie Thu 16-May-19 17:45:23

Yes, suzie but still no answers I'm afraid.

Thanks GG please share how they changed your view. I don't have long to get up to speed before next week's vote.

I agree with your last sentence, EU is far from perfect but then so is our parliament. I just don't want to 'jump out of the frying pan into the fire'.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-May-19 17:39:04

Nonnie Just for you

I intended to vote remain, my husband leave, after numerous conversations with our 5 AC and their wives/partners who all had various convincing reasons why they intended to vote leave, including it will be your GC who will benefit from the changes I changed my vote to leave.

I did also do research on how the EU “runs” and how it manages its accounts before putting my X in the leave box.

suzied Thu 16-May-19 17:34:04

You won't get any answers which aren't meaningless soundbites. Possibly better to ask " what are the benefits of Brexit which we will be enjoying?" "Will all this economic and social turmoil be worth it? How will we know?" "Will we be better off?"

Nonnie Thu 16-May-19 16:54:20

GG perhaps that was when I was away. Please give them again, I'm home now. Thanks

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-May-19 16:52:32

Nonnie I have given my reasons for voting leave so many times on GN............

Nonnie Thu 16-May-19 16:48:59

fire you said "Nonnie was (SIC) you ever going to vote any other way." which I assume was a question asking me if I had any intention of voting another way. No, I had no intention of voting in a specific way, I never have. I look at all the evidence prior to any election and then make up my mind. I still have a week to make up my mind about the next one and it would appear that the only information I have leads me to vote for a remain party. However, I am still hoping someone will give me more information so I have to reconsider.

Firecracker123 Thu 16-May-19 16:38:28

Nonnie was you ever going to vote any other way.

MawBroonsback Thu 16-May-19 16:33:47

Sorry grandad my iPad seems to have started adding in spaces on its own initiative.

MawBroonsback Thu 16-May-19 16:32:41

What a total sh*t, * grandad* - not that it surprises me , but as they say, by their actions shall ye know them - to misquote!