Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris not following the rules again

(43 Posts)
maryeliza54 Mon 08-Apr-19 11:59:57

Failing to declare property ownership and income from royalties. As ever he continues to believe rules don’t apply to him and/or he doesn’t need to bother his (empty) head with the details of everyday parliamentary life. He’s make such a wonderful PM wouldn’t he?

jura2 Tue 09-Apr-19 09:33:13

But yes, come on we’ve all done it surely, they say. Forgotten how many houses we have, whether or not we knew about our campaign using stolen Facebook data, what the woman we were supposed to be getting freed from an Iranian prison was doing in Iran, whether or not we’d met up with Steve Bannon and a Russian ambassador or two, how to tell the difference between women and letterboxes, the fact that we have a wife, how much money the U.K. pays into the E.U. budget. How to tell the truth about anything at all, in any situation ever ...

jura2 Tue 09-Apr-19 09:28:25

Dinahmo- exactly. Thanks (from Jura who is definitely a 'she'). Like Hunt who forgot he had bought 7 luxury houses.
As long as people brush aside electoral fraud of the highest nature, and other kinds of frauds including serious tax evasion- I am very happy to insist that it is WRONG - again and again if necessary.

The fact that there are significant numbers on people who keep shouting 'Democracy' - both on GN and out there- and at the same time say that Fraud is not really a problem we should be concerned about - just makes the whole caboodle totaly nonsense (and they know it).

Callistemon Mon 08-Apr-19 19:42:10

Ah, misunderstood, the thread meandered off into non-payment of tax quite early on.

Dinahmo Mon 08-Apr-19 19:39:26

Maryeliza54 - I realise that the report is about the Register of Members' Interests but I would suggest that if he can forget sources of income for that purpose is he really going to remember ti for his tax return?

maryeliza54 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:36:52

This is nothing to do with his tax affairs. It’s about declaring sources of income / ownership of property to the Parliamentry Register of Members Interests

Callistemon Mon 08-Apr-19 19:30:55

Why didn't he just hand over all his tax affairs to his accountant?

Dinahmo Mon 08-Apr-19 19:28:32

Urmstongran - in Jura's defence (probably doesn't need it from me, but hey ho!) he needs to be a stuck record. I work as a tax consultant and I certainly don't let my clients act in a fraudulent fashion. By your comment you seem to approve of this - you may not think his omissions are fraudulent but IMO they are.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Apr-19 18:38:58

Oh jura2 you are like a stuck record!

Callistemon Mon 08-Apr-19 18:20:15

"he’s such an entitled up himself git"
"it’s the intellectual rigour that is so enlivening isn’t ?"

I love it.

crystaltipps Mon 08-Apr-19 18:03:49

Boris is a proven liar and cheat. Well that’s ok then.

Callistemon Mon 08-Apr-19 18:02:53

The Hansard Society is a charity set up to promote parliamentary democracy; it is named after Hansard and non-partisan.

maryeliza54 Mon 08-Apr-19 17:55:39

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/08/uk-more-willing-embrace-authoritarianism-warn-hansard-audit-political-engagement?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Here’s the link - this is scarey Din

Callistemon Mon 08-Apr-19 17:39:07

Of those who favour a strong leader a large proportion did not mind if he/she broke the rules. Hence Boris' popularity.
Did it mention barmpots in Hansard?

maryeliza54 Mon 08-Apr-19 17:37:13

Thanks Din I’ll follow it up. The declaring of income was to the Parliamentary register not HMRC - no idea about the latter but he wouldn’t do anything wrong there would he?

Dinahmo Mon 08-Apr-19 17:26:35

reports, sorry. Not reposrts

Dinahmo Mon 08-Apr-19 17:26:10

Maryeliza54 - I got it slightly wrong - was reporting excerpts read by my husband from an article in the Guardian. It is the Hansard Society, formed in 1944 and taken from their 2019 Audit of Political Engagement in which 54% of the surveyed state that 54 % (apologies for the wrong number) say that Britain needs a strong leader who is willing to break the rules.

Those can be any rules, parliamentary or otherwise. So, if Boris hasn't been declaring all his income, I hope sincerely that HMRC will come after him.

The reposrts from the Society make interesting reading.

Lily65 Mon 08-Apr-19 16:49:04

I forgot I had a tin of tomatoes and bought another one. Oh well, its nearly the same.

maryeliza54 Mon 08-Apr-19 16:46:23

Which rules were they? Surely it wasn’t in Hansard?

Dinahmo Mon 08-Apr-19 16:22:38

Hansard has produced the results of a survey in which 66% polled think we ought to have a strong leader and only 23% disagree. Of those who favour a strong leader a large proportion did not mind if he/she broke the rules. Hence Boris' popularity.

jura2 Mon 08-Apr-19 15:18:32

So electoral fraud doesn't matter- and personal tax evasion and lies from someone who pretends to replace the PM doesn't matter? That is seriously concerning tbh.

maryeliza54 Mon 08-Apr-19 14:54:48

Yes Maizie it’s the intellectual rigour that is so enlivening isn’t ?

MaizieD Mon 08-Apr-19 14:49:31

Nothing like a bit of whataboutery to liven up a threadgrin

Callistemon Mon 08-Apr-19 14:29:37

"But he’s no worse than many other MP’s. "
I agree with that as regards money.

Kandinsky Mon 08-Apr-19 14:28:28

No not really.
But he’s no worse than many other MP’s.
Have you forgotten the expenses scandal?

Callistemon Mon 08-Apr-19 14:28:11

"Barmpots."

Barmpots are not necessarily a bad thing, Britain has always had its eccentrics and they make life more interesting.
However, tax evaders are in a different category (and not usually barmpots either)

I wouldn't like to have either a barmpot or a tax evader as PM.