Gransnet forums

News & politics

"Courageous&quo t; sportsmen are winners in women's sport

(15 Posts)
FarNorth Tue 16-Apr-19 22:05:42

Two young men are to receive awards for "courage" after competing and winning in women's sports events, against young women.

This happened in the USA but, here in the UK also, boys and men are being allowed to compete in girls' and women's sports.

www.ctsportswriters.com/single-post/2019/03/04/Courage-Award-Recipients-Chosen-By-Connecticut-Sports-Writers%E2%80%99-Alliance?fbclid=IwAR0E0fb8IirUBvwcVPv-8l78u4pRfmeax2ojUO0yWFuHsdNIbl16QJRdKOY

craftyone Wed 17-Apr-19 06:47:30

personally I think that if they were born with the various male or female bits then they should only compete in that particular group. I have yet to see a woman competing in a men`s category. It is all about getting into the easier option. I heard a programme the other week about some taking the hormones after puberty so that muscles were already formed, just to get into the easier group ie easier to win prizes and make a lot of money but it is incredibly unfair on women who are naturally not as strong

Anja Wed 17-Apr-19 07:01:46

Oh dear! Do we need a Transgender Games?

I don’t mean to sound flippant, as this is a very real problem, and I feel genuine sympathy for these people. Nor do I feel they ‘transition’ just for fame, glory and money.

But it is true that the musculoskeletal structures of a genetic XY person is going to be stronger and better developed than that of an XX one.

I have no answer but there needs to be a better ‘solution’ than allowing transgender women to complete against genetic XX women.

FarNorth Wed 17-Apr-19 10:09:11

Some of 'these people' may well transition just for the chance of fame or money.
I believe these two young men have had no medical treatment at all but are competing as young women.
In the USA, sports are an important way that young people can gain university scholarships.

SueDonim Wed 17-Apr-19 14:55:50

It's a problem. A friend's teenaged daughter plays football for her school. They recently competed against another school who fielded two 'male-bodied girls'.

These 'girls' made no pretence at being female, they didn't even bother change their names* from Bob and Joe to Babs and Jane.

It's cheating, out and out.

*made-up names, of course.

FarNorth Wed 17-Apr-19 15:49:20

Parents whose children are directly affected by this should make their feelings known to the school.

Cherrytree59 Wed 17-Apr-19 16:04:28

Instead of calling the sporting event either Men and Women's call it an XX or XY event
Only a person with those particular chromosomes allowed to compete in the event.
e.g. XX Tennis.
XY Tennis .

Change the women and men's toilet to XX & XY Toilets.
Same with changing rooms.

As another poster suggests may by a third way for Transgender sport and spaces.

Personally I have no problem with transgender people in society but do feel that no person can take over a 'biological right' of another.

SueDonim Wed 17-Apr-19 16:17:47

Schools won't address it, Farnorth because they're scared of being called transphobic.

The end result will be fewer girls playing sport. sad

Bathsheba Wed 17-Apr-19 16:43:05

It's certainly a way for men to claim back male dominance after years of 'women's rights' putting them on the back foot hmm

FarNorth Thu 18-Apr-19 01:04:09

In what ways have men been 'on the back foot', Bathsheba?

And indeed, 'trans rights' seem to involve male dominance - is that a good thing, in anyone's view?

GabriellaG54 Thu 18-Apr-19 01:35:16

IMO, true females should withdraw from all races and sports where there are other competitors on the day, who have unfair advantages due to either higher than normal testosterone levels, or identifying as female when actually fully male.
That would stop the event(s) taking place and the sporting authorities would have to seriously address the issue.

Anja Thu 18-Apr-19 06:32:22

Too much hearsay on this thread.

TerriBull Thu 18-Apr-19 07:23:14

I think Martina Navratilova eloquently expressed what most sportswomen feel and indeed the general public.

The picture of the 2 women runners up in a recent cycle race, I think in the US, trounced into 1st position by a trans woman, really said it all sad

GabriellaG54 Thu 18-Apr-19 10:33:53

TerriBull
I think you meant that the two women were trounced (into second place)
One cannot be trounced into a higher position.

TerriBull Thu 18-Apr-19 11:16:49

Yes I did Gabriella, early morning brain fog sad I don't function before the first coffee of the day. Anyway hopefully you get my gist.