Gransnet forums

News & politics

How is Canada getting on with Self-identification of Sex?

(10 Posts)
FarNorth Thu 18-Apr-19 01:23:44

Canada has recognised self-declared gender identity since 2012, meaning that anyone who declares themself to be a male or a female is accepted as being exactly that, regardless of physical reality.
How is it getting on with that?
There is to be a meeting in Glasgow bringing 'Lessons from Canada' :

www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/lessons-from-canada-tickets-60344167028?fbclid=IwAR1LyIzAcBpRZYozIPVGRfjTAHy9nP-J--SncRE_sjtC_NpP1O9fEvdOokI

The venue location will be given out to ticket-holders on the day, 24 May, to minimise the opportunity for threats to the venue, as has happened many times in the recent past.
The meeting is open to all.

Mycatisahacker Thu 18-Apr-19 16:34:48

How sad that security is needed.

paddyann Thu 18-Apr-19 19:18:11

I'm really surprised I thought Glasgow was more open minded about LGBT issues .I have two young friends transgendering just now and both have had amazing support from schools and communities.Both live in the Greater Glasgow area ,though 30 miles apart and they dont know each other ,but the stories they tell are very similar and very encouraging

Mycatisahacker Thu 18-Apr-19 20:03:39

So women are not allowed to discuss issues around self ID that concerns them?

Why? paddy

FarNorth Thu 18-Apr-19 22:56:56

paddyann, self-id of sex gives a wide open door to predatory men who wish to gain access to 'women-only' spaces.
How do you suggest they be prevented from doing that while also upholding the rights of people such as your relatives?

FarNorth Thu 18-Apr-19 22:57:53

* Sorry- friends not relatives.

GabriellaG54 Fri 19-Apr-19 04:33:17

You are, from the moment of conception until the day of death, the sex assigned at that moment of sperm meeting ovum.
Nothing you do can change that fact and, 99.999% of people who change sex can be id'd as their biological sex despite hormones, Adams apple shaving, face contouring etc.
Anyone who says otherwise is not being truthful and I'd back my words with money.

LullyDully Fri 19-Apr-19 08:19:17

I am wondering if there are more transgender people now if this has historically been the case.

FarNorth Fri 19-Apr-19 21:45:30

There are more people claiming to be transgender.
Some of them claim that they do not have dysphoria, they simply 'know' that they are not the sex 'assigned to them at birth' and everyone should accept that.

GabriellaG54 Fri 19-Apr-19 22:22:09

everyone should accept that ?
Not me.