Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bombing in Sri Lanka

(102 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Sun 21-Apr-19 11:17:38

It is now reported there are 156 dead and 400 wounded by the 8 bomb attacks on churches and hotels. How can anyone bring themselves to indiscriminately kill and injure so many people going about their daily lives. The attacks were on Christian churches during Easter services and tourist hotels. It is being reported they were terrorist attacks carried out by religious extremists.

I don't care how or who you worship - nothing justifies this sort of action.

maddyone Thu 25-Apr-19 14:20:33

Lazigirl, I’m so glad that your family are safe, if traumatised. The possessions they lost can be replaced, the main thing is that they are safe.

Sadly too many people weren’t safe. These type of attacks are abhorrent to any normal person. To think it has been done in the name of religion, there are no words.

Lazigirl Thu 25-Apr-19 13:30:56

I have been unable to post before because I was in shock. My son, wife and young grandchildren were on holiday in one of the hotels which was attacked and had left the restaurant only seconds prior to it being bombed. I was beside myself until I heard they were safe. They were able to catch a flight with only the clothes they stood up in, and are still suffering shock as they had to exit through the carnage. I find it difficult to comprehend how a human can indiscrimately kill other innocent humans, whatever the motivating ideology.

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 15:54:12

I agree. ‘Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story’.

Which is why I used the word ‘speculation’ when I first posted.

Of course we shall have to see how this all pans out. But the security forces are all over it right now and as that professor said, ‘everyone leaves a trail’.

It won’t be long before we get told.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 24-Apr-19 15:47:57

The news this morning said one of the bombers was an undergrad here in UK and post grad in Australia, no mention of radicalisation in either countries.

Unless some security agency comes up with solid evidence we shall never know?

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 15:12:55

None of this is fact based at the moment - that’s all I’m saying. Why speculate until more is known? Of course the security services are onto it ( and plenty of others I’m sure). In fact of course we may never know the facts as it’s not necessarily helpful to put those sort of details into the public domain.

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 15:03:16

Mr Glees, the director the Centre for Security and Intelligence Studies at Buckingham University, suggested the terrorist is likely to have studied at a London based university, and possibly could have completed studies in engineering or IT.

Mr Glees told MailOnline: 'I have no doubt whatsoever that the identity of this person will very soon uncovered. Everybody leaves a trail.
'MI5 know who this person is. They will be checking out where they studied, who they came into contact with, and crucially, who else was in their network.

'There are a stream of Islamist terrorists who come from higher education in the UK that are graduates, who are over represented in terrorist ranks.

This gives you an indication of the sort of people they are, they are not homeless refugees, or unemployed, they are well educated, highly motivated, ideological fanatics, that are highly dangerous.
'This is a very significant development. It is very likely that this person would have been radicalised in the UK, or Australia.
'He may have had no personal contact with the fighting in ISIS in Syria or Iraq.

'Massive warning lights have to flash here. We can't assume this person was a jihadist from the battlefields.'

Mr Glees suggested he would have become radicalised after coming into contact with a radical preacher 'a band of brothers or sisters' that would have taken the form of 'campus associations.' “

Very worrying.

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 14:56:40

The quote was not about being radicalised here but about being known to MI5. As we have no facts or timeline on any of this at all at the moment then we still know nothing about where he was radicalised and when. Speculation is not helpful in situations like this.

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 14:53:33

www.independent.co.uk/voices/sri-lanka-bombings-attacks-easter-islamist-terrorism-christian-tamil-tigers-a8880961.html

Here it is

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 14:53:15

No I can’t seecehy it matters but anyway let’s wait for the evidence. Meanwhile I found this article informative about the complex situation in SL as I mentioned upthread. SL does very well in developing its own home grown terroists

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 14:52:53

Jane10 ??

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 14:51:44

Sorry maryeliza if I didn’t make my 2 comments clear.

I wanted to clarify that I used the word speculation.

The second part was a quote.

And I think it’s very important to get to the root of the radicalisation. So do the security agencies involved.

Jane10 Wed 24-Apr-19 14:49:35

Can you really not see why?

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 14:46:59

Why would where someone is radicalised actually matter compared with the actual fact of being radicalised?

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 14:45:47

There is no logical link between your two statements Urm

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 14:44:58

And of course it will really suit the SL Government ( which is in a heap of trouble over the attacks) to try and pin the blame on us. I’ve no idea what the truth is but this type of speculation isn’t exactly helpful is it? And even if it were true, there were 7/8 others involved in the actual bombing, let alone how many others involved in the planning.

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 14:42:47

Well I used the word ‘speculation’ when I posted.

This:
Security expert Professor Anthony Glees also suggested MI5 will know the identity of the bomber with the British link.

gillybob Wed 24-Apr-19 14:41:45

Oh that's terrible Urmonstongran !

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 14:40:02

Radicalised is what’s being said gillybob
Awful isn’t it?

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 14:40:00

‘Speculation’ is the operative word of course

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 14:39:23

It’s hardly surprising is it that someone from SL was educated here? Just mischief making imo to try and elide that into being radicalised here.

gillybob Wed 24-Apr-19 14:36:05

I heard on BBC news this morning that one of them was educated in the UK but not that they were radicalised Urmstongran .

Namsnanny Wed 24-Apr-19 14:15:27

Oh goodness Urmstongran, I hope not!!

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 14:01:28

Speculation in the news that one of the terrorists was radicalised here in Britain.

maddyone Wed 24-Apr-19 13:57:58

Very true rose, and I guess that’s why we have to endure these horrible attacks all around the world, and see innocent people, including children, blown up. Not because of your husband of course, but because people believe they are right, and everyone else is wrong.

All the world’s out of step except me. I don’t know who first said that, but how true it is.

rosecarmel Wed 24-Apr-19 13:46:18

Man is not man made - Therefore, anyone's guess where religion came from, or didn't, would be correct - Because nobody actually knows -

People adhere to ideas, especially the idea that their ideas are right and others are not -

My husband was atheist - He believed his ideas were true - And correct - And he adhered to them throughout his lifetime -

Its kind of difficult to consider others views while adhering to ones specific ideas at the same time - smile