Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Kinder Scout Trespass Anniversary

(10 Posts)
trisher Wed 24-Apr-19 11:59:25

Today we celebrate the anniversary of the Kinder Scout Trespass when working people challenged the ownership of the countryside
On The Kinder Trespass, Civil Disobedience, and National Parks
In April 1932, hundreds of working people from Manchester trespassed on private land in the Peak District to protest against the lack of public access to the British countryside.
April 24th to be exact. Thank goodness for activism!

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 12:15:11

They should just have stayed at home and had a silent protest in their front rooms. Or else have respected their betters and accepted they owned the land and had a right to it. Or realised that if only they had worked harder they could have owned their own mountain

Seriously Trish great post. Up with activism and protest ?

Fennel Wed 24-Apr-19 12:35:30

Yes good for them. Another example of peaceful protest making an impact.
We walked on Kinder Scout several times when we lived in Hull.

trisher Wed 24-Apr-19 12:37:00

I think the problem is maryeliza54 that people don't know their own history and when it is taught it is all about wars and kings. Perhaps some think it's best we don't know that the freedoms we now take for granted were won by people who demonstrated and refused to accept the status quo. After all just think what we might want next.
Anyone walking anywhere in the countryside should remember these people.

Anja Wed 24-Apr-19 12:38:40

They should just have stayed at home and had a silent protest in their front rooms. Or else have respected their betters and accepted they owned the land and had a right to it. Or realised that if only they had worked harder they could have owned their own mountain

Nice one maryeliza ? you nearly had me there! ??

trisher Wed 24-Apr-19 12:41:49

Can't help it Ewan McColl's great song The Manchester rambler to celebrate another great demonstration!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv0OPOZBWxI

annsixty Wed 24-Apr-19 12:44:53

When my H was in hospital 3 weeks ago, we could see Kinder from his window.
I thought then about the protest but didn't realise the anniversary was so close.
Good on them all, we have walked parts of it many times.

Gonegirl Wed 24-Apr-19 13:15:59

I like that post maryeliza grin

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 13:26:49

Well GG I just get fed up of people moaning about others taking action and what a waste of time or how exploitative or how disrespectful it is. As trish said most people don’t know their own history but I know I wouldn’t have had the life I’d had if it wasn’t for those brave people who marched and suffered before me.

Eloethan Wed 24-Apr-19 13:28:42

I didn't know about this. Thank you trisher.

It shows that changes can happen if people work together and are determined. Presumably if the Mancunians had not trespassed, there might still be very limited access to the Peak District.

I agree with you that often significant events and people like this, which have had a positive impact on the lives of ordinary people, are not widely marked. I attended a choirs festival recently and we learned a folk song about John Ball, who I'd never heard of. I learned he was an inspirational and brave preacher, executed because he spoke up for ordinary people, who in the main were living lives of servitude and poverty.