Gransnet forums

News & politics

The embarrassment of the Tories

(347 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Apr-19 08:10:54

“It is said that those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad”
This is a quote in a newspaper editorial, which I thought extremely apt.
The editorial is headed
“Britain is being ruled by a party that has lost its political bearings”
Goes on to outline the reckless ill discipline so evident in the government, and in particular the leak over the Huawei decision, which defied two of the fundamental rules of British government -

Collective responsibility and official secrecy.

We can rely on neither of those concepts with this dreadful government.

If a government fails in such fundamentals it has failed completely.

Anniebach Fri 24-May-19 22:24:04

I think she felt it was her duty to carry out the results of the referendum, she put up with more insults and jibes than any PM , yet carried on because she had promised, she certainly didn’t sit on the fence .

lemongrove Fri 24-May-19 22:13:02

Starting? grin it’s been hysterical for the last three years on GN, should be renamed OTTRUS.

Mycatisahacker Fri 24-May-19 20:59:31

But it might be ok.

All this doom and gloom wouldn’t have been tolerated in WW2!

I think we are really starting to get way OTT here?

Urmstongran Fri 24-May-19 20:18:00

Yet Macron deployed his water cannons in Paris, quite effectively crystaltipps Boris was right in my opinion.

Just saying.

varian Fri 24-May-19 19:30:15

I'll be dead. Children old. Grandchildren poor middle-aged folk feeling bitter about being robbed of their opportunities by previous generations.

jura2 Thu 23-May-19 21:38:51

how old will you be in 30 years time? Your kids? And grandkids?

Beammeupscottie Thu 23-May-19 20:28:01

It amuses me that Remainers are seen as unpatriotic when those who voted Leave were quite happy to bring their Country down economically and put to doubt the future prosperity of their grandchidren.

varian Thu 23-May-19 18:17:10

Her one success was to demonstrate that it is impossible, and always would be, to deliver the undeliverable "cake-and-eat-it" unicorn promises of the lying leavers. She demonstrated conclusively that it cannot be done.

Beammeupscottie Thu 23-May-19 12:43:24

Boris is the one they hope will win an election, as he is in that Wally territory, much loved by the populist vote If he loses to Labour (not a given while Corbyn leads) he would resign, surely?

vintage1950 Thu 23-May-19 12:34:19

I agree with Smiless, TM is doing her best to do what she thinks is the right thing - to deliver a Brexit deal. I'm a Remainer myself but I think she has set herself an impossible task and I don't think that any of her pro-Brexit Conservative colleagues could have done any better. Cameron managed to leave in a party atmosphere when the referendum didn't turn out as he'd expected. TM is carrying the can for his foolishness in not having a Plan B and for flouncing off to his shed. This business has taken far too much of everybody's time when there are many more important things to worry about. Some of the remarks about her online have been extremely nasty - calling her a witch, Treason May and speculating about her husband's influence. Who on earth will replace her? Not Boris, please!!!

GabriellaG54 Thu 23-May-19 12:25:47

Eton...for the brainy.

crystaltipps Thu 23-May-19 12:14:52

When he was London mayor Boris Johnson bought water canon second hand from Germany, Theresa May as home sec banned them. ( he hadn’t asked beforehand) Sadiq Khan had to sell them for scrap as they were rusting away somewhere. If he gets to be PM maybe he’ll buy some more.

Beammeupscottie Thu 23-May-19 12:04:05

We should revoke and let Farage and is disciples take to the streets. Do we have water canon yet?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-May-19 12:00:12

WA bill now delayed until June.

This will never get presented. It is as dead a duck as May

All that is left is no deal or revoke.

Beammeupscottie Thu 23-May-19 10:42:30

I agree with Smileless; the woman was trying to do her best.
It is now said that she will stay to welcome Trump on June 3rd. This is the right thing.

humptydumpty Thu 23-May-19 10:38:24

I feel she's more likely to be remembered for total intransigence in contradiction to the wishes of her party.

Smileless2012 Thu 23-May-19 10:32:58

Well like her or loath her, agree with the way she's attempted to deliver Brexit or disagree, I for one admire her courage and determination to honour the referendum result, even though I don't agree with way she's handled it.

Too many politicians have spat out their dummies and resigned over Brexit just like Cameron.

I hope she'll be remembered for doing her best and staying the course, no matter how tough and at times unpleasant it must have been.

Framilode Thu 23-May-19 10:05:13

Leaver or remainer , surely politics has never been as fascinating as it is now. I can't wait to read the Tim Shipman book that will eventually be published.

Beammeupscottie Thu 23-May-19 09:45:22

Why would any sane person want to become a politician in this day and age. The current zeitgeist is so against them.

crystaltipps Thu 23-May-19 08:53:49

Does anyone understand TM? Wouldn’t most sane people have chucked in the towel by now and gone to retire somewhere warm a long way away?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-May-19 08:23:47

It won’t happen, but when May is eventually winkled out if Downing Street, there really ought to be a GE. Our democracy seems so fragile at the moment, it really is time to try to begin to address the issue.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-May-19 08:17:30

Quite extraordinary - we have a Prime Minister under siege in Downing Street, with her cabinet members being refused when asking to speak to her.

May appears totally delusional, apparently still intent on pushing ahead with her WA bill.

It really is a humiliating position to be in, and with the utter contempt in which her party is treating her and the appalling comments that she has tolerated.

She must go soon, just for her own sanity.

varian Wed 22-May-19 15:47:42

Gus O'Donnell, is a former British senior civil servant and economist, who between 2005 and 2011 served as the Cabinet Secretary, the highest official in the British Civil Service.

He says "As a civil servant I kept out of politics. Now it’s my civil duty to vote Lib Dem"

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/as-a-civil-servant-i-kept-out-of-politics-now-it-s-my-civil-duty-to-vote-lib-dem-w3hzt96fm

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-May-19 15:46:43

That’s the only sensible thing Cameron has ever said

varian Wed 22-May-19 15:44:26

Ex-Tory MP Matthew Parris tells us why he'll vote Lib Dem for the first time in his life

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why-i-ll-vote-lib-dem-for-the-first-time-in-my-life-9x6mj82t0