Gransnet forums

News & politics

How to vote in local elections?

(18 Posts)
RedRidingHood Tue 30-Apr-19 12:17:45

You can find a list of candidates on your council website.
Generally I don't stick to national party politics on local elections, I look at the candidates and the council track record.
I looked at ours and there are 3 labour and 3 conservative candidates and we can vote for any three. I then googled each candidate and read everything I could find, not least their Twitter feed. That ruled a view out!
DH is so furious about Brexit he doesn't want to vote as the result will send a message to the parties nationally. I disagree as I feel local councils have a big impact on our lives

Alima Tue 30-Apr-19 11:38:25

The Lib Dem candidate here is very highly thought of, very approachable and cares. He is also ex Navy, always a plus with us. The Tory chap is fairly new but does live locally and has bothered to canvass. Not decided who to vote for as yet. Definitely won’t be Labour, even if they field a candidate they never bother to canvass.

annodomini Tue 30-Apr-19 11:24:23

Hear, hear, Varian. Lib Dems have no chance in our authority, but in the neighbouring one which is a metropolitan borough, they had a good majority until the last election when Labour took over, though not with a convincing majority. I served as a Lib Dem councillor for 8 years and was proud of our record vis á vis comparator authorities.

DoraMarr Tue 30-Apr-19 11:13:16

Gosh, I thought this was about what mark to put on the paper. I always have a moment of panic in the booth because I can’t remember, in that instant, whether it’s a tick or a cross!

kittylester Tue 30-Apr-19 11:11:23

Sweeping generalisation there, elllen

varian Tue 30-Apr-19 11:01:05

We have been lucky enough to have a LibDem Council for a very long time, but the Tories are the opposition and last time the result was very close. The local Tory candidate's leaflet, as always, attacks the LibDems in a way which is bordering on being libellous. I very much hope that we can get rid of as many Tory Councillors as possible.

I shall be voting for the Liberal Democrats, because they have done a good job in spite of cuts in government funding, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few Labour, Green or Independent Councillors instead of the Tories.

BlueBelle Mon 29-Apr-19 20:20:35

I m in a quandary too the only one epwho seems worthy of a vote is an independent but that’s dodgy as although I think they would be good for the town I don’t know who they actually support

EllanVannin Mon 29-Apr-19 19:55:20

It would appear that the only party who are interested in their local community are Labour !

phoenix Mon 29-Apr-19 19:41:47

We have had leaflets through the door from Labour, Lib, and Conservative.

Of course they all promise to support local enterprise, so I have a quick look to see which printer they used (yes, might sound petty, but think about it.)

We had one through from an independent candidate, home printed, but which started: "For those of you of you who don't know me"

And no that wasn't a typo by me confused

Not sure I would want to vote for someone with such little attention to how his campaign flyer was presented.

GrandmaKT Mon 29-Apr-19 17:48:02

Thanks folks. Glad to know I'm not the only one in a quandary!
Funnily enough RamblingRose, in our area the Labour council closed lots of libraries and when the Tories got in last time they re-opened them! I guess that goes to show how regional these issues are.
I would feel really bad not voting at all as I'm always conscious of the sacrifices that went to winning our right to vote.

Devorgilla Mon 29-Apr-19 16:58:45

I will be voting Labour as we have two excellent councillors in our ward. I hope we get a Labour Council this time as the current one has sold off assets. Local elections are often used to 'tell' the current Government what people think of the national situation. That strategy doesn't always deliver what the locals hoped for though. Vote for the party you think will deliver what you want locally. In a general election vote for the one whose policies you most agree with. Try not to be too swayed by your position on Brexit. We all want a country that will prosper at all levels.

Ramblingrose22 Mon 29-Apr-19 15:46:27

GrandmaKT - I understand your dilemma as a lot of people don't understand what the role of a local councillor is.

You could try contacting the candidates or the local agent whose details will be on the leaflets and ask to speak to a candidate.

If your experience with using your local council's services is good, you could vote for the party currently in charge (and vice versa).

I wouldn't vote for a party whose national policies I disagree with as I would be more likely to disagree with their policies on local government.

Many people have criticised the Conservatives for depriving local councils of money since 2010 which has led to the closure of libraries and other community centres. If this worries, you may wish to think about that.

If you're really uncertain, maybe don't vote at all.

M0nica Mon 29-Apr-19 15:37:28

We have solved the problem by going on holiday on the day before. It wasn't deliberate, but it saves us angst and our local ward is unlikely to be a cliffhanger where our vote could swing the poll.

GrandmaKT Sun 28-Apr-19 23:21:12

Thanks MiniMoon.

MiniMoon Sun 28-Apr-19 22:56:02

GrandmaKT try this site. It gives information on all the local candidates.
whocanivotefor.co.uk

Wobbles Sun 28-Apr-19 22:47:58

I'll be voting Labour in my local elections. They're the only party that's bothered to canvas my neighborhood and the candidates have admitted Brexit has been a talking point on most doorsteps.
Our usual voting system has changed this year with all council seats being up for election so it could be very interesting.

Grandad1943 Sun 28-Apr-19 21:52:47

GrandmaKT, I believe that national issues will make the local elections worthless as any gauge to the electorates views on many local matters at present. However, I am a firm believer in Labours National policies for the nation, but will be voting for the Liberal Democrats in the local council elections because I support their views on several issues I believe are essential to North Somerset. I hope many others will act similarly.

That stated I feel that the only election that can make any major change to the chaotic Brexit situation Britain faces will be a General Election, and that may not be long in coming about.

GrandmaKT Sun 28-Apr-19 21:11:10

I'm never sure how to vote in the local elections. Unless I actually know one of the candidates, or have heard good things about them I am at a loss.
We have only received leaflets from 2 candidates. Is there any other way of finding out what they all stand for?
Things seem even more complicated this time around because of Brexit. I've heard people saying they are voting/not voting for particular parties as a protest vote over Brexit. Should the two be connected? Surely whoever we have as our local councillors has no bearing on what goes on in the EU?