Gransnet forums

News & politics

Elections? What elections?

(55 Posts)
MawBroonsback Mon 29-Apr-19 19:51:41

OK I have had a couple of polling cards.
But that’s all.
No election literature, no idea who the candidates are, nobody telling me why he or she should be representing me locally or in Brussels. Nada.
Frankly if they CBA , why should I?

MaizieD Sun 05-May-19 12:26:06

^ We have a useless coalition council here^

I believe that you live in my home town, Pittcity. I left 40+ years ago but, as I recall, we've always had useless councils there! the town was dominated by the tories when I was young... grin

varian Sun 05-May-19 11:31:17

Many of the people who voted in these elections clearly wanted change, but not, as both the Tories and Labour would have us believe do they want "deliver brexit". The LibDems strong "stop brexit" message is beginning to get across.

EllanVannin Fri 03-May-19 08:03:31

I didn't bother at all as it seemed futile knowing that the same party " rules " year after year, but this time I apparently got my eye wiped. Ah well.

Pittcity Fri 03-May-19 07:59:59

30% turnout here and two conservative losses. We have a useless coalition council here, but the lack of information from the candidates fueled apathy.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 03-May-19 07:28:15

Our Local council results:-

1st - Conservative
2nd - Independent
3rd - Labour

Surprised as I thought the independent candidate was going to win, but Conservative one with a large majority??

GillT57 Thu 02-May-19 21:50:45

B9exchange parish councillors are unpaid and not affiliated to any political party. Could you honestly not work that out? Borough councillors may be independent or under a party banner.

PamelaJ1 Thu 02-May-19 17:27:01

We have polling cards for both elections.
I will be going later this evening.
We have 3 candidates. Ind. Con. and libdem .
Only know one, the current councillor. He seems to have worked hard for our community so I will vote for him.
I can’t not vote although I feel like abstaining from the next one!

kittylester Thu 02-May-19 15:13:52

We've just been and voted.

The tellers said it was a middling sort of turnout compared to normal.

From my point of view, I generally see someone to chat with and this time I didn't!

B9exchange Thu 02-May-19 14:47:01

I was given two voting slips, one for local parish council and one for city council. First one only had two options, didn't like either party, so spoiled that one saying not enough choice, in the hope spoiled ones might get counted.
City council I voted for the candidate who will do the best job locally.
I did have one party call very apologetically at the door, said she was in despair at what was going on at national level, but please consider who would represent me best locally, which I was going to do anyway.

Come the EU elections, that will be another story!

BlueBelle Thu 02-May-19 14:42:26

I had no choice about 8 candidates every one was Independant does that mean they are to scared to nail their sails to the mast or what ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-May-19 14:29:15

Well I voted for our local Conservative councillor because they have been consistent and good for our local area. They were the only party to have representatives at our polling station.

Grany Thu 02-May-19 13:27:48

No council elections in Woolwich today I would have voted Labour for the;
Disabled
14 million in poverty
1.5 in destitution
230,000 homeless
Waspi women
Windrush
State schools
NHS
Police
Fire service
Grenfell
Mental health services
Councils
Social care
Bus services
Climate change

JessK Wed 01-May-19 21:20:25

We've had a visit from the tory candidate but not heard a peep from any of the others. How are you supposed to make a decision as to who to vote for? Perhaps they actually don't want to be elected!

kittylester Wed 01-May-19 19:46:17

Our Parish Coucillors are not up for reelection as there are more seats than candidates.

I find that sad considering our Village Website is full of people who do b****r all except complain. The current Parich Councillors are all 'getting on' and it has been suggested that we amalgamate councils with 2 nearby villages which seems to defeat the object and have potential for division.

The Parish Councillors are mostly non (or only vaguely) political.

MawBroonsback Wed 01-May-19 19:31:35

I find now that the seats on our Parish Council are not in fact being contested anyway (6 candidates for 7 vacancies and not a single mention of political parties between them)
As I said “What elections”?

Grandad1943 Wed 01-May-19 19:29:23

I believe that these local elections will matter little to anyone who tries sift anything out of the results in terms of the broader national picture.

Things are so volatile due to Brexit that many I feel will either not vote or vote on National issues although it is local matters that should be in the elector's minds.

The media will be drawing conclusions on the results on Friday, but with the Brexit Crisis dominating almost all political thinking only a General Election can really change anything.

MawBroonsback Wed 01-May-19 19:26:34

And Eazybee, yes, it is so easy to criticise!

MawBroonsback Wed 01-May-19 19:25:27

maw would very much like to know what the candidates believe in and why they think thy are the best person to represent me.
Maw does not believe in giving any political party carte blanche and if a candidate just thinks all they need to do is have their name printed on the ballot paper they have another think coming.
Eazybee how hard is it to get a name right?
The “Mrs Broomstick” jibe simply serves to confirm how far literacy standards have sunk in some parts of the country.

Anyway, to get back to the subject. At local parish council elections it is not the party (whatever that might be) that matters, but the individual.
I do not in any case have a “chosen” party whom I support right or wrong like some people seem to.
So save your petty digs and insults, I can only treat them with the contempt they deserve.

Poppyred Wed 01-May-19 19:13:51

Varian - bore off!

varian Wed 01-May-19 18:59:29

If someone who is entitled to vote chooses not to, that does not make a point.

There are plenty of people who are not interested in politics, not aware of political issues, pretty ignorant as to the extent that they do not see how politics can effect their everyday lives, perhaps not even registered to vote.

If Poppyred or anyone else chooses not to vote, how do we know she is not one of them?

Poppyred Tue 30-Apr-19 19:00:28

Don’t be so rude MCEM !

kittylester Tue 30-Apr-19 17:03:53

eazybee, maybe maw doesnt know who to vote for so would like to weigh up the options by reading any literature.

mcem Tue 30-Apr-19 16:59:36

Excellent poppyred you go right ahead and have a meaningless tantrum and leave the voting to the grownups who may use their votes more wisely.
Going against my instincts I declare that I'm happy to see the gullible and irrational disenfranchise themselves and leave the way clear for those who put some thought and effort into

annodomini Tue 30-Apr-19 16:26:55

I had nine votes for my local town council. Only three candidates weren't Tory. I know that the council is remarkably efficient but there are certain councillors who don't pull their weight, so, against my principles, I did vote for a couple of Tories but didn't use up all my 9 votes. I'm using the past tense as I have already posted my votes.

eazybee Tue 30-Apr-19 16:26:44

Well, Mrs. Broomstick, (oh dear, OU reading skills letting me down), if you are so concerned about the lack of information concerning the forthcoming elections, why not go to your chosen party and offer to do some leaflet delivering and or canvassing for them.
So easy to criticise.