Gransnet forums

News & politics

It's a .................... .

(334 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 06-May-19 14:10:04

Baby's on the way.....

Callistemon Thu 09-May-19 15:29:07

We have a friend called Archie, he's in his late 70s and a delightful man.
I expect he's delighted with the choice smile

grannygranby Thu 09-May-19 11:05:28

names are fine..picture's great...all is well.

Mycatisahacker Wed 08-May-19 20:28:00

Love Charlie Alfie and Bertie too.

I took my grandson to nursery and there are siblings called Ada and Arthur in fact most of the kids names wouldn’t be out of place in a Victorian drama grin very middle class.

Mind you at soft play we net a family with kids called Colton,Sharnay, Rocky and Miyanna all pronounced in good old Brummie accents. wink

Fennel Wed 08-May-19 20:27:56

I had an uncle Archie. He was a postman in the Kielder Forest.
Just doesn't seem to suit a royal baby .

Mycatisahacker Wed 08-May-19 20:23:11

Oh just clicked Harry’s son!!! smile

Anniebach Wed 08-May-19 20:05:21

I am pleased they did choose Llewelyn, the last Prince of Wales name ?

Callistemon Wed 08-May-19 20:04:25

Day6 grin

In fact, I know that shortened versions of proper first names are popular, but …

I'll shut up now, it's not my child!

Callistemon Wed 08-May-19 20:02:52

I like Archie, however I am not keen on surnames used as first names, although I suppose Harry's son is the thought behind it.

Gonegirl Wed 08-May-19 19:54:21

I like the names. I like the little baba too. ??

Iam64 Wed 08-May-19 19:51:48

Archie is very popular along with Charlie, Alfie and Bertie. Young parents register their children with the shortened form of a traditional name, just like Meghan and Harry will do. I have decided to like Harrison because it has a Scandi feel, that Harry's son. In addition, isn't Harrison a name used in the US to a nod to his mother's background.
I remain firmly in the good news camp on this. I am so relieved that my general irritation with politics, Brexit, wars in the Middle East, poverty starvation etc etc hasn't spilled over into being a grumpy granny about a young couple delighted to have a healthy first born.

rafichagran Wed 08-May-19 19:18:17

Not keen either, just do not like the names.

KatyK Wed 08-May-19 19:02:30

I'm not keen on the names. I volunteer in a primary school. There are lots of Archies and Harrisons.

Anniebach Wed 08-May-19 19:00:49

Sparkle I don’t mean traditional Windsor names, I like Zara , Savannah is sweet , American or Canadian I think ,

Mycatisahacker Wed 08-May-19 18:44:01

And bloody bastard Brexit!!

SirChenjin Wed 08-May-19 18:43:28

Day6 - I wonder if we shop in the same supermarket? Both names round here are usually shouted in the same manner grin

Does Harrison = Harry’s son I wonder?

Sparklefizz Wed 08-May-19 18:33:34

Perhaps it's because, just for a short while, we can have a break from the doom and gloom that is real life!

Rowantree Wed 08-May-19 18:31:39

It's a fine thing when an over-privileged couple's baby gets bigger headlines than the precarious plight of our planet. hmm

Sparklefizz Wed 08-May-19 18:29:27

Annie Princess Anne didn't stick to traditional Royal names with Zara and Peter, and they in turn named their children unusual names (eg. Savannah, etc) If the child is never going to hold a Royal position, to me it doesn't matter a jot. As Archie is Harry's son, I think "Harrison" is sweet though perhaps a bit twee.

Calendargirl Wed 08-May-19 18:23:33

Yes, lovely picture with the Queen and D of E and Doria. They all looked so happy.

Anniebach Wed 08-May-19 18:23:18

Don’t like the names , but I am a traditionalist

Day6 Wed 08-May-19 18:16:07

Harrison??? A royal baby has Harrison as one of his names? Modern, but not, dare I say it, classy? Is it popular in America?

Last time I heard the name Harrison was in the supermarket. His mother (I presume) was screaming "Get here now Harrison!! Just stop f*****g about!"

shock

Sparklefizz Wed 08-May-19 18:15:39

Love the baby's names! The photocall went much better than I anticipated ... much more natural and un-posed, and the baby looked gorgeous. I thought Meghan was brave to wear a cream dress. I would have been too worried about possible blood stains (sorry, TMI)

It's also a lovely relaxed family photo of the Queen and Philip meeting Archie with Doria looking on.

Mycatisahacker Wed 08-May-19 17:47:41

Oh I actually thought he told her to shut up! grin

Love the names. Good choices

nanaK54 Wed 08-May-19 17:13:18

Great name, beautiful baby, I wish them all much happiness

GrannyGravy13 Wed 08-May-19 16:58:43

Lovely names.