Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC biased or incompetent?

(137 Posts)
Nandalot Fri 10-May-19 22:08:23

So the BBC pulled ‘Have I got news for you’ tonight because one of the guests was Heidi Allen, Change UK’s leader. They thought it would breach guide lines on party leaders appearances during the lead up to an election. Didn’t they realise this yesterday before the recording? Score one for incompetence?
However, Nigel Farage (leader of the Brexit party, sorry CEO of the Brexit party) appeared on ‘Question Time’ for the 34th time on Thursday and is to appear on the ‘ Andrew Marr’ show on Sunday. Score one for bias?
Oh and by the way, Heidi Allen is not standing for election as an MEP but Farage is.

grumppa Sat 11-May-19 16:59:12

For a long time I have been concerned at the way the BBC seeks to impose its left-wing bias on its youngest viewers.

Those of you who watch CBeebies regularly (and which grandparents don't?) must have noticed that of the two little families who live in a pair of semi-detached houses at the bottom of a tree in "In the Night Garden", the Pontypines, who are dressed in red, get at least four times as much time in front of the cameras as their neighbours the Wottingers, who are dressed in blue.

Sinister, or what?

Grandma70s Sat 11-May-19 17:01:05

Until recently I naively assumed Farage was on so often so that we could all see how stupid he is. He is controversial, gets people talking and is therefore good television.

Recently I’ve started to wonder if there's more to it than that, but actually I doubt if there is.

Mycatisahacker Sat 11-May-19 17:20:24

grumppa

grin bloody hilarious.

It’s very comforting that on one thread the BBC is accused of both left wing and right wing bias.

So no op they are doing it right. They are not biased in the slightest.

They just let people You don’t agree with spout on QT.

And quite right too.

GillT57 Sat 11-May-19 17:32:55

We will all see bias where we wish to do so but I do seriously question the amount of air time the charlatan Farage is given. He is not the leader of a political party. No other MEP is given airtime ( can anybody name one?).

Nonnie Sat 11-May-19 18:00:47

Good point Gill

varian Sat 11-May-19 18:17:11

Is BBC Question Time’s audience producer really a fascist?

www.opendemocracy.net/en/ourbeeb/is-question-time-s-audience-producer-really-fascist/

Mycatisahacker Sat 11-May-19 18:32:17

Because he’s good tv? He gets people riled. Like this thread.

Not rocket science is it really?

And in my view in a healthy democracy we listen to everybody so noone gets a free pass and everyone is scrutinised

Iam64 Sat 11-May-19 18:36:15

Is it possible that Farage is more available than other politicians? This is a genuine question. He's always available it seems, whereas others may actually be trying to fit some work in between public appearances. As Mycat says - he's good tv - I loathe him, the ship he sails in and all his friends and supporters. I'm not alone in that but like Trumpington, he has his supporters. Often folks who claim to have been "silenced by the PC mob". I don't know the PC mob but to be frank, I wish it more power to its elbow.

Mycatisahacker Sat 11-May-19 18:37:37

On radio 5 they read out the tweets and texts and inevitably there are those that whinge bias on all sides.

That’s when you know you are not biased.

Mycatisahacker Sat 11-May-19 18:38:33

Tbf question time takes its non biased audience base extremely seriously it really does.

Mycatisahacker Sat 11-May-19 18:40:01

Oh he’s vile i agree but but but he deserves to b heard

Iam64 Sat 11-May-19 18:43:19

My cat, I agree with you in saying he's vile but deserves to be heard. We can't censor people we dislike unless they're breaking our laws and so far, he isn't. A number of the Brexit candidates appear to either have breached laws or be very close to doing so but that's a matter for the Police.

I'm also with Mycat on the issue of QT taking its responsibilities to ensure its audience isn't biased. I suspect the issue here is that the Farage supporters shout loudest.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-May-19 18:43:25

I absolutely agree about a healthy democracy mycat
But I live near Brighton, which has a Green MP. The greens also have a number of MEPs
Can you remember the last time any of them were on Politics Live, Newsnight, QT and Marr all in the same week?
In fact can you remember the last time they were on any of them?

Iam64 Sat 11-May-19 18:44:24

Good point Whitewave - the local elections showed the Greens and the LibDems gaining votes. That needs to be reflected in QT and other media outlets.

Day6 Sat 11-May-19 18:58:08

People who are like that have been deliberately selected to pack the audience by "audience producer" Alison Fuller-Pedley, an ex member of UKIP. She has been allowed to do this for the last twenty years.

Are you SURE varian?

That's quite a serious accusation.

Given I have been in the audience of QT twice, and have sat amongst people from all walks of life, from pensioners to students, both times, many of whom who had views differing from mine (but it was all very amicable) I find that sort of bias you have mentioned hard to believe.

The selection process isn't really a process at all. Obviously background has to be checked so people don't come along with an agenda, but we didn't know who the panellists would be when we applied, or what topics would be given air time. It was only when the audience was gathered that we were all asked to submit a question we'd like to ask and then about six people were chosen to stand up and speak.

Someone would have to work all hours of the night and day to a) hunt down those in the locality who held her views and b) put together a certain audience to suit the tastes of AF Pedley, if what you say is true.

I think maybe your bias is showing?

Mycatisahacker Sat 11-May-19 18:59:14

Mmm yes agree Whitewave

It would be interesting to know whose been invited and who refuses etc

We should know

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-May-19 19:05:20

Stuff in the media about Pendleton

mobile.twitter.com/ddale0000/status/1049564156406456320/photo/1

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-May-19 19:13:07

This

mobile.twitter.com/AJS77/status/1126810205071839233/photo/1

Witzend Sat 11-May-19 19:14:56

I can't see that the Beeb is biased towards Leave! Rather the opposite, I'd have thought. Any interviews with what they like to call ordinary people, who are Leavers, always seem to feature those who at least appear to be less intelligent/less educated. The inference being, 'See? Only thick people voted to leave!'

If they appear to give NF (personally I can't stand him, regardless of his politics) too much air time I'd think it's because they're bending over backwards to appear not to be biased against him and Leave.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-May-19 19:40:55

It is a shame that Bruce has not achieved the standard of control or reasonable balance the previous presenters had.

The programme has reached a new level of mediocrity, reflecting perhaps public life in the UK.

Mycatisahacker Sat 11-May-19 19:49:41

Bias is in the eye of the beholder I think.

Quite right too

Nonnie Sun 12-May-19 11:28:18

I've been saying that for ages Witzend but no one seems to have taken it up. I'm sure not all leavers are as unintelligent as BBC news appears to think. Why don't they show the comments of people who have given it some thought?

varian Sun 19-May-19 13:05:09

The BBC website has a guide to brexit jargon. If you scroll down the alphabetical list you will NOT find REVOKE, but you will find REMOANER.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43470987

Further evidence of the blatant bias of the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation.

varian Fri 26-Jul-19 22:55:05

The pro-brexit bias of the BBC has been long 'recognised but not all its political programmes are equally bad.

Question Time has long been beyond the pale but I have thought Any Questions on R4 was slightly better.

However in tonight's programme, in a week when the Liberal Democrats elected a brilliant new leader Jo Swinson and the party stands a close second to the Tories at 23% in opinion polls, there was not one mention of it. Everything was focussed on the Tories. Very disappointing.

growstuff Sat 27-Jul-19 00:00:11

I think the BBC's biggest problem is making the new so Westminster-centric. HQ doesn't seem to understand that most people's lives are influenced by local decisions.