Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dubbed ‘the Status Quo’ party

(24 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 16-May-19 19:40:40

John Crace in the Graun today:

“A recent opinion poll put Change UK on 2%. What wasn’t so clear was whether that figure had been rounded up or down. Just five minutes before its major EU election rally in the Remain heartlands of Bath was about to start, there were still plenty of seats available in the cricket pavilion where it was being held. And there were only 32 chairs to start with. A few late stragglers helped fill the room, but the media still well outnumbered supporters.

Change UK is dying before it even learned to walk. Its MPs know it. Its candidates know it. The public knows it. Change UK never really wanted to change anything. What it wanted most of all was for things to stay the same. For the UK to remain in the EU and for the extremes of both the Tory and Labour parties to shut up and go away”

No contest there for the Brexit Party! Rachel Johnson (BoJo’s sister) probably regrets her involvement.

MaizieD Thu 16-May-19 19:43:59

Yet the Lib Dems and the Green Party, who also want to retain the status quo, are doing fine in the polls. hmm

Mycatisahacker Thu 16-May-19 19:47:51

I can’t understand why they didn’t join forces with the Lib Dem’s! They have fantastic grass routes council workers and are organised and up and running with policies.

I think there’s too many wannabe chiefs in this change U.K. party.

I also heard a political commentator say today that they appear boring establishment and nothing different to the other main 2 parties.???

Urmstongran Thu 16-May-19 19:51:28

Wonder why they didn’t join forces with the Lib Dems?

Egos? Can’t see Chukka wanting to defer to Vince Cable.

At the next GE will this mean Soubry might no longer be an MP? Poetic justice in my opinion!

Mycatisahacker Thu 16-May-19 20:07:25

Yes I agree too many egos.

Mycatisahacker Thu 16-May-19 20:37:06

I used to like Soubery but she seems to have become drunk with her own ego and think she’s actually far more of a statesman then she is.

Yes she’s a gonner next election.

lemongrove Thu 16-May-19 21:00:32

It was doomed from the start, the only thing they have in common is stamping their feet and wanting to stay in the EU.
The public can clearly see this.

Grandad1943 Thu 16-May-19 21:31:04

lemongrove, regarding your above post @ 21:00 today, I feel you will remember how by many on this forum the Change UK Party was cheered as the saviours of British politics when they announced their formation.

Some of us asked what such a diverse group had in common when it came to forming long term policies. That has now proved to be their undoing at this point in time, and they are likely going into oblivion in much the same way the "Gang of Four did in the 1970s

The same questions are being asked in regard to the Brexit Party with its twenty-five pounds donating " supporters" coming from the hard left and hard right to be appointed to positions at Nigel (The Dear Leader) Farage sole dictate.

Hopefully, that one man party will quickly lose its attraction in the same way as Change UK has.

lemongrove Thu 16-May-19 21:43:51

I agree with both points, and on the latter one, said much the same just a few days ago.
If the Brexit Party do well in the EU elections it will concentrate the minds of the Conservatives and the LP, as it jolly well should do.When we leave the EU then support for the Brexit Party will ebb away IMHO.

Grandad1943 Thu 16-May-19 22:02:45

lemongrove, I believe that the Labour Party will do poorly in the European Parliament elections, but even in that they will not change their stance due to the change in its internal structures were power in policymaking does not now lay with the parliamentary party.

However, I am genuinely beginning to believe that the Conservative party may not survive its present Brexit upheavals, which I feel would be a great loss to British politics.

I have never supported the Conservative party, but throughout my lifetime they have always been one of Britain's great institutions and as with the Labour party brought forward some even greater statesman/women when the country needed them most.

By the way Lemongrove, I do not include Maggie Thatcher in the above, heaven forbid, I would never live it down. ?

Mycatisahacker Thu 16-May-19 22:27:53

Grandad1943

Very good post I so agree with you

Urmstongran Thu 16-May-19 23:24:28

cant hide the schadenfreude. To see the back of Chuka, soubry and allen just cheers me up.

lemongrove Fri 17-May-19 12:28:31

Grandad43 grin

Mycatisahacker Fri 17-May-19 14:13:26

Recent polls predict massive losses in the EU elections for both labour and Tory

Anniebach Fri 17-May-19 14:30:20

Labour has become a one man party. And those who formed Change U.K. were honest, they walked away from the parties they were members of because they disagreed with the leaders. What both labour and conservative have now are knife stabbers and nodding dogs on the front benches

Firecracker123 Fri 17-May-19 14:41:38

Yes they walked away from the Conservative and Labour parties but are not prepared to ask the voters who voted them in as Conservative and Labour MPs if they still want them. At the next GE if they stand again for Change they will be gone and good riddance.

Mycatisahacker Fri 17-May-19 14:47:31

And and and let’s face it the change UK members like Heidi Anna and David are date I say it bloody boring. They are like your parents catching you drinking cider in the park circa 1978! grin

Love them or loathe them Corbyn, Boris, Farrage, they all have charisma. They all hold a good rally. Just as Blair and Thatcher.

They inspire and excite people.

Heidi just makes me want to crawl under a rock with wine grin

Firecracker123 Fri 17-May-19 15:04:26

Yes agree and Anna Soubry makes by blood boil I absolutely hate her. Before Brexit I went to the polling station voted mostly Tory, odd time Labour and Ukip enjoyed Pmqs. Now I find myself enraged at the state of this Parliament the treacherous May and the MPs trying to stop Brexit and love him or hate him Mr Farage has given me and thousands of other ordinary people whose vote has been ignored a voice and hope. I have never felt so passionate about a party before.

Anniebach Fri 17-May-19 15:11:42

Corbyn and Farage have charisma, inspires and excites ?

Mycatisahacker Fri 17-May-19 15:57:57

The trouble with some posters are they are blinded by their party loyalty!

Of course Farrage and Boris have charisma as does Corbyn and so had Thatcher and Blaire.

Liking them is irrelevant. Ted bunny had charisma that’s how he managed to lure so many poor victims.

Charisma doesn’t mean being good or kind it’s a very different thing

Mycatisahacker Fri 17-May-19 15:59:09

Firecracker

I sympathise but

Don’t say hate. Dislike yes disagree with yes but hate no. Politics isn’t worth hate.

Anniebach Fri 17-May-19 17:13:23

Sorry the definition of charisma does not apply to Farage, Johnson,Thatcher or Corbyn. I am now trying to think of a politician who has , in my opinion, charisma.

Anniebach Fri 17-May-19 18:03:00

John MacDonald ,

Mycatisahacker Sun 19-May-19 16:18:05

Anniebach

You don’t seem to understand what charisma means but I agree with you I do think John Mc has it too.

Again it’s not just those you agree with? Lots of famous people have charisma but are pretty unpleasant underneath.