Gransnet forums

News & politics

March to the Far Right

(5 Posts)
rosecarmel Wed 22-May-19 14:39:50

Many gullible people .. Wasting their artistic talents creating memes that encourage division .. Some of the artwork is amazing ..

I love Banksy ..

Mycatisahacker Wed 22-May-19 12:52:17

I suppose equally it’s bringing these people out of the woodwork into public scrutiny???

hugshelp Wed 22-May-19 12:48:10

I think the internet is a tool that is, and has been, increasingly misused at the expense of many. The fact that people are now starting to shine a light on this is the only antidote, but how long it will take, or if all will be willing to look beyond the black hole they fall into I don't know.

Mycatisahacker Wed 22-May-19 12:40:19

I find the far right and the far left equally terrifying as we know they both hate free speech, freedom of the press and both tend to erode minority rights and that includes women’s rights too.

Terrifying

Dinahmo Wed 22-May-19 12:36:47

The campaigning group Avaaz have discovered more than 500 suspect groups and Facebook pages currently targeting the EU elections across Europe. These range from white supremacists in France to Holocaust deniers in Germany. In Italy the tactics used include setting up general interest pages, such as sport, beauty and health and after followers have signed up transforming them into political tools.

My own thoughts are that the majority of right wing supporters (mainly male) are young, too young to remember the aftermath of WW2, the deprivation and the reconstruction of Europe. They have benefited from a long period of relative economic stability and peace although now there are high levels of unemployment.

Am I right to be worried about this and what should/could be done to prevent the spread.