Gransnet forums

News & politics

The unofficial 2nd EU referundum taking place today 23rd May 2019

(311 Posts)
Firecracker123 Thu 23-May-19 13:08:45

Remainers keep asking for a Confirmatory vote well in my opinion this is it. All voters have one Vote use it today to vote Leave or Remain at your polling station.

Official results on Sunday night but feel free to do a GN vote here as well if so inclined.

Labaik Tue 28-May-19 14:46:56

'It appears that between one and two million UK citizens living in other EU countries and EU citizens living in the UK were denied the opportunity to a vote which was their legal entitlement. This will be the subject of court action.'...what worries me is that, even when things are found to be fraudulent, nothing ever comes of it. If it was a sporting event, the winner would be disqualified.

Nonnie Tue 28-May-19 13:22:02

petra Mon 27-May-19 17:23:27 But your response was not relevant to leaving the EU! I had asked for reasons to leave not for a lecture on bananas confused

You said "It appears that some posters are correct in their assumption that you have no intention of reading as to why people voted to leave." No they are incorrect and not very observant because if I reply to something it should be clear, even to the most deluded, that I have read the post! If it 'appears' to you that I have not read it may I suggest you go back and look?

This gets hard work when I have to explain the blindingly obvious!

Nonnie Tue 28-May-19 12:44:07

Urmston read my further post where I apologised for my mistake. I always apologise if I make one, I am human and have no need to pretend I am perfect. However, this brings to mind all the times people have misquoted me or accused me of saying or having an opinion I don't have and when pointed out have not apologised.

Callistomon Exactly, I was so appalled I complained and it was so extraordinary that I mentioned it on here. I could never have expected the backlash against me for simply saying what happened

Urmston why are you still reading something which bores you? I never get bored, if something isn't interesting I do something which is.

I totally agree with youmycat "It’s the strident arrogance that I dislike" the arrogance of those who are nasty to people who disagree with them, the arrogance of people who expect us to believe they are well motivated without explaining why, the arrogance of people who say one thing in private and something opposite in public hmm hmm

I think you will find mycat that those who want to stay are happy to give their reasons and also give you the opportunity to say whether you agree or disagree. You changed your mind but if you have explained why I have missed it.

Thanks Lara you are right but the barbed comments are still coming.

This thread will die anyway because questions have been asked, debate has been offered but no response from those with a different view. Shame that when some don't have anything to contribute they just make comments which so often reflect back on them rather than the person they are being unpleasant about. Heyho, twas ever thus.

varian Tue 28-May-19 11:43:32

It seems very difficult for this country to run a referendum or election in a fair and democratic way.

It appears that between one and two million UK citizens living in other EU countries and EU citizens living in the UK were denied the opportunity to a vote which was their legal entitlement. This will be the subject of court action.

Labaik Tue 28-May-19 11:30:40

There will be a right result if, this time, the campaigning is not full of lies, deceit and false promises. And if interviewers question people about what, eg joining the WTO actually means etc etc. If that happens, and the result is still to leave then I shall support it [which I would have done last time had I felt it was won fairly].

varian Tue 28-May-19 10:44:01

There is one politician who no-one should ever believe. He lies all the time.

www.indy100.com/article/nigel-farage-brexit-party-eu-elections-twitter-thread-8904601

Jabberwok Tue 28-May-19 10:37:13

I wonder if THIS time we will again be told that the results of the referendum will be honoured and acted upon?!! Will any of us believe that unless of course remain wins which is highly likely as it will undoubtedly be slanted to ensure a RIGHT result, in which case it will be honoured with alacrity whatever the margin! I see Corbyn is being chivvied into supporting another vote,having repeatedly said that he wouldn't!! No surprise there, it was only a matter of time bearing in mind his desperation to get into No 10! I can't honestly imagine that I shall ever vote again, who for when most politicians habitually say one thing, do another! and go whichever way the wind blows! How on earth can anyone believe them?!

lemongrove Tue 28-May-19 09:57:37

Be careful what you wish for Labaik as you may not like the outcome.
Still, if it makes you happy, then you have said what you wanted to.... just don’t expect all to agree with you.
Shall we exit singing ( from this thread)....altogether now, one two three!???

Labaik Tue 28-May-19 09:49:12

OK; so, can we round off this thread by saying the result of the '2nd EU referendum' is that although the Brexit party won the most seats remain parties had far more votes and, had they had the sense to work more closely together they would have had far more seats. That the Brexit [ie Farage] party isn't really a new party but UKIP in a new guise [wolf in lambs clothing]. And that it has made Labour finally come off the fence and support another referendum. So, all I can say about the actual 2nd [or, in my view 3rd] referendum is BRING IT ON.

GabriellaG54 Tue 28-May-19 04:19:54

FYIIYLATT
I'm going for my run shortly as birds are tweeting...it's the dawn run.
☕??‍♂️??‍♀️?

GabriellaG54 Tue 28-May-19 04:15:33

Personally, I think it's fairly easy to remember that some posters don't think very humanely when composing their comments, especially those on repeat repeat repeat. shockgrin

lemongrove Mon 27-May-19 23:10:01

Because we have had the results! ?

Labaik Mon 27-May-19 21:00:33

Why isn't it relevant given that we've only just had the results?

Urmstongran Mon 27-May-19 20:32:46

Thanks for the reminder Lara.

I think this thread has run its course anyway. It’s not particularly relevant now and I shan’t post on it again.

It doesn’t do my blood pressure any good ha!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 27-May-19 20:21:33

It's politics, it's going to be messy and we're all going to believe in different things. But please can we keep it civil. It's easy to forget there are humans on the receiving end of some of these posts. Otherwise we'll have to pull the thread. Thanks and happy Bank Holiday smile
GNHQ

Mycatisahacker Mon 27-May-19 19:53:11

I actually voted remain in the ref but voted Brexit on Thursday.

I find the certainty and the arrogance of remainers very off putting and they all seem to know exactly what will happen when we leave the EU when actually they have no more idea than brexiteers.

It’s the strident arrogance that I dislike. Particular in the light of project fear and all the doom and gloom has been proved completely wrong

joelsnan makes very many good points.

Callistemon Mon 27-May-19 19:35:22

Those who have stuff they want to keep private for any reason whatsoever, should be respected
I do agree with that, GabriellaG

Using our real names would be extremely restrictive, particularly if posting about family matters.

Urmstongran Mon 27-May-19 19:26:14

“So when I say the truth Urmston you say I am 'winding people up' but give yourself permission to say anything you like. Did you get promoted to 'Thread Monitor'? Oh no, just one rule for you .............................. [sigh]”

Ah no Nonnie not the Thread Monitor at all.

Just a bored individual after reading your incessant posts!
??

Callistemon Mon 27-May-19 19:25:05

the man behaved badly and should not be allowed to work in a polling station again.

I agree, I am shocked and hope you reported him.

Callistemon Mon 27-May-19 19:22:55

Interesting that no one has picked up on my post where I explained that the man handing us our papers tried to influence our vote
I find that absolutely astonishing, having worked as a poll clerk on many occasions.
It is strictly against the rules and I have never come across that at all.
Of course, there are always various people sitting just outside the voting venue trying to use their powers of persuasion but they are not allowed inside.

Urmstongran Mon 27-May-19 19:18:12

Ooh Nonnie you closet ‘Leave’ voter you!

“'.I have been genuinely asking for a long time if anyone could tell me good reasons why I should vote for a leave party rather than a remain one. I voted for a leave party because no one has answered that question.”
❗️❗️

MaizieD Mon 27-May-19 18:27:42

Shame you're off again, petra because I've looked up the EU and bananas and I'm really not sure what you're getting indignant about.

The EU had a 'banana war' with the US because the EU were importing tariff and quota free bananas from the ACP (Africa, Caribbean and Pacific) countries and charging tariffs and imposing quotas on Latin American bananas, most of which were produced by a giant US company, Chiquita. The US took the EU to the WTO which ruled that the EU tariff imposition was 'illegal' under WTO rules. So (I hope I've got this right) the EU was to remove the quotas and reduce the tariffs over time.

As far as I can see, the end result was bad for the ACP countries who are unable to compete with the Latin American bananas as they do not have the technology or opportunities for economies of scale available to the US company which owns most of the banana plantations, Chiquita.

Where, in all this lot, the evil EU is to be reviled I'm not altogether sure. Here are my search results if anyone else fancies trying to make head or tail of it.

duckduckgo.com/?q=EU%2C+banana+tariffs&ia=web

Prices to consumer and retailer seem to be quite irrelevant but perhaps someone else can also work out why Tesco ripping off the producers is any fault of the EU. Supermarket chains are notorious for this sort of behaviour aren't they?

Perhaps petra has a link to an article which explains it all to us?

Joelsnan Mon 27-May-19 18:08:00

GracesGranMK3
^ but I do know that what I posted about WTO is how it will work^

Please can you direct me to your source of definitive information. I am very interested to research it. Thanks

loopyloo Mon 27-May-19 18:03:37

Is that calculated on population? Must look that up.

WadesNan Mon 27-May-19 17:57:50

One of the arguments put forward in favour of the EU is that each country has a voice - I have looked up the number of MEPs for each country:

Germany 96
France 79
Italy 76
UK 73
Spain 54
Netherlands 26
Belgium, Greece, Hungary and Portugal 21 each

Every other country has 20 or less

Seems the voting is weighted in favour of just a few countries with Germany having the most.