Gransnet forums

News & politics

'Populist'

(57 Posts)
Labaik Mon 27-May-19 10:52:20

Can someone please explain to me why some parties are described as 'populist' because it seems to me that it only seems to be applied to rather right wing parties. Shouldn't the Greens and LibDems be described as 'populist' given that they are now gaining lots of votes and seem to be 'popular' at the moment. It surely makes a part seem rather 'jolly'. I know I shouldn't use the 'H' word but that's what I'm thinking so I'll have to but would Hitlers party, before WWI be described as populist? Can I please just have a sensible explanation as I genuinely want to know. Thank you.

Dinahmo Tue 28-May-19 13:14:06

There is a good explanation of the word populism on Wikipedia, if anybody wants to learn more.

Dinahmo Tue 28-May-19 13:09:23

Dear Nonnie - I don't think you're getting old but maybe you weren't au fait with terminology in the sixties which is when the word gay was first used to describe homosexuals. I can remember during that era there were two pubs in Kensington that had a gay clientele. One, the Coleherne was for the guys in leather ( shades of Village People although they were a bit later) The other was known as the Boltons. That was where the camp guys went. We used to go there occasionally and I remember two things - one the boys who wore pastel coloured dungarees with matching berets (and one had a poodle dyed to match) and the other was that some of them were a loss to women as they were so good looking.

varian Tue 28-May-19 13:05:20

Fortunately fewer populist politicians than expected were elected to the EU Parliament. Farage's is the largest group and the only one which advocates leaving the EU.

Since our referendum it has been remarkable how staunchly the other EU 27 countries have stood together. Solidarity is strength. The Leave liars said we could pick them off one by one and spun a line about brexit being so wonderful that all the other countries would leave too.

Exactly the opposite is true. EU membership has in the last three years become more and more popular in all the other EU countries as even the populists realise how much value they all get from working together . They all pity the people of the UK still being in danger of leaving. They see us in a chaotic state, suffering from a totally unnecessary self-inflicted wound.

Callistemon Tue 28-May-19 12:32:30

Populism can be right wing or left wing - but the question that needs an answer at the moment seems to be "why is populism on the increase in many countries and what can be done to counter it? Is it necessarily a bad thing as it could be sending a message to 'the political elite' who do not listen to the people?"

MaizieD Tue 28-May-19 10:35:24

I think this thread is attempting an objective discussion of the phenomenon of 'populism'. It isn't personal, Ug. Crying 'victim' just derails it.

Urmstongran Tue 28-May-19 10:07:52

Sneering from the leftists isn’t going to endear their views to ‘populists’ now is it? It just adds fuel to the fire.

Anja Tue 28-May-19 06:35:54

In the unlikely event that the population of the U.K. united in an attempt to right the wrongs of society and extend a helping hand to the poor, the unstable, the outcast and the homeless then that might be called a populist movement.

Anja Tue 28-May-19 06:30:59

Left wing pers are concerned about a more equal society. Populism is attractive to those who put their own interests ahead of others. It also plays on and panders to their fears.

Trump defines the ideal in populism.

janeainsworth Tue 28-May-19 01:40:53

Thank you for the link Maizie.
A bit of an eye-opener as you might say.
And I’m beginning to think that ‘it couldn’t happen here’ might be wishful thinking.

MaizieD Mon 27-May-19 23:33:50

Maybe one or two of you might be interested in ploughing through this Wired article about the populist Five Star party in Italy. Initially envisaged as a vehicle for participatory democracy, and enthusing people as such, it turned out very differently.

www.wired.com/story/italy-five-star-movement-techno-utopians/

I think that a problem with populism, be it of the right or left, is that it rarely has a plan. Just aspirations which can be interpreted in any way once a manipulative leader gets hold of it.

janeainsworth Mon 27-May-19 22:49:59

I agree, lemon. Left-wing populism is a thing too.

janeainsworth Mon 27-May-19 22:46:09

Baggs
Leadership is having vision and the ability to inspire others with that vision.
Management is the implementation of policies which support that vision.

If politicians merely reflect society, then we can’t expect them to be any different from the rest of us.
But we do.
We become exercised and even incensed, if they have affairs with other people’s partners, or if they fiddle their expenses, or give people money in brown envelopes, or if they lie.
But these are things their constituents do all the time.
So we do expect them to be better than non-politicians, and perhaps setting a good example and living up to certain standards is another part of leadership, old-fashioned though it may seem.

lemongrove Mon 27-May-19 22:38:32

Why do a few posters keep on saying that populism is (only)
Right wing extremism, because it plainly isn’t.
Populism can come in many guises.You can’t twist words to suit your own political leanings.

paddyann Mon 27-May-19 22:29:12

Brexit party has no policies and are happy to add to the EU costs that they complain about...Farage had the highest expenses for a long time AND bragged about them.Add hypocrite to his list as he made sure HIS family can live in the EU after Brexit .....good enough for them but not for us!

maryeliza54 Mon 27-May-19 22:17:29

Populism is right wing extremism. The Brexit Party will eat itself up - it’s already started. There will be scandals, corruption and all sorts coming out of the woodwork. One of their new MEPs is resident in the South of France - go figure. As the sainted Nigel scrapes the bottom of the the barrel to find his candidates for the GE, the whole edifice will start to crumble. A political party with no members and a leader accountable to no one - except his wealthy backers. What could possibly go wrong?

Baggs Mon 27-May-19 22:08:37

I wouldn't call the rudeness populist either. Most people don't behave like that.

Baggs Mon 27-May-19 22:07:35

I should say what the ES reports is shameful, not the ES report.

Baggs Mon 27-May-19 22:06:27

The Evening Standard report does indeed appear to be shameful. I read the article rather than watching the video.

But in what way is the horrible behaviour reported/shown democracy in action? The election of the new MEP shows democracy in action, not the abuse directed at her. That's extreme rudeness.

Baggs Mon 27-May-19 21:56:41

I agree about the speaker's (possibly over-) optimism, janea, but I also think he's making a valid point.

As for parliament reflecting society, I think there should be an element of leadership alongside the element of management.
I don't entirely understand what you mean by this. I think I understand about leadership being needed, though it might come from philosophers as much as (or more than) from politicians. MPs do have advisers better versed in whatever subject is at hand than themselves, don't they?
I don't understand what is meant by "the element of management". Management of what?

crystaltipps Mon 27-May-19 20:52:58

Populism is usually used as a term to criticise those political groups who aim to appeal to the common people by appealing to the lowest common denominator - we will make your lives better/ get rid of people you don’t like/ be tough on crime/ give back your pride etc. Focusing on simple messages and shifting the blame for their misfortune onto others - the elites/ foreigners/ Germans whatever. Good to see that many of the so called populist movements in Europe have not seen any great upsurge and have remained more or less the same as they were in 2014.

Labaik Mon 27-May-19 20:40:22

jane; that's awful. My son [an engineer] tells me that some Polish people he works with are going back to Poland because where they live there are lots of Brexit supporters who are making them feel very unwelcome. My son has never shown an interest in politics before but he's starting to get very worried.

Mycatisahacker Mon 27-May-19 20:36:52

callistermon

True very true

M0nica Mon 27-May-19 20:35:01

Populist so often is right wing extremism, or extremism of some kind. Hitler and Mussolini were populist politicians.

Look at the zenophobia and extreme right wing policies of people like Victor Orban, or the extremists in Poland, France or Italy. These parties are not preaching the policies of the man on the Clapham Omnibus they are preaching extreme rightwing politics.

janeainsworth Mon 27-May-19 20:30:36

Shameful, isn’t it?

janeainsworth Mon 27-May-19 20:29:29

Here’s an example of democracy at work in this country.
www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/britishasian-labour-mep-told-to-go-home-by-brexit-party-supporters-during-acceptance-speech-a4152196.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1558964929