Gransnet forums

News & politics

Frolicking unicorns

(6 Posts)
Caledonai14 Sun 16-Jun-19 06:06:04

Moderate Tories are said to be alarmed that the UK might be about to go back on a solemn pledge made in March in connection with the EU withdrawal agreement.

According to the Guardian, Lord John Kerr, former UK ambassador to Europe and the author of Article 50 has expressed concern that "the unicorns are back, frolicking in the Tory forest".

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/15/boris-johnson-no-deal-brexit-plan-will-trigger-early-election

EllanVannin Sun 16-Jun-19 07:20:33

Mark my word, BJ is going to make a hash of all this, it's pretty frightening to have to rely on such a buffoon !

EllanVannin Sun 16-Jun-19 07:21:34

Margaret Thatcher would have made mincemeat out of the lot of them !

Framilode Sun 16-Jun-19 07:22:17

I'm sure we will go back on our promise and I, for one, hope the EU stand firm. It's about time we faced the reality of what was voted for and the consequences. I think there is a real chance that we will revoke Article 50 at the end of October.

Ginny42 Sun 16-Jun-19 07:48:50

Much as I would love to see Johnson taken down, to be thrust into a GE so soon would be another nightmare. I'm so angry with the Tory party for putting the nation through this and then foist Johnson onto us with all his character flaws. I cannot believe that he is being held up as the nation's best hope. You really couldn't make it up.

I hope the EU stands firm especially re the Irish situation. The gall of people expecting the EU to treat us with special consideration when this is all our doing. They are simply protecting their interests.

Framilode How I hope you are right about Article 50.

lemongrove Sun 16-Jun-19 08:53:24

The first thing is...Johnson hasn’t been chosen as PM as yet,
Although I agree it looks likely.
The second is that whoever gets the job I doubt we will go back on that promise.So much of what is said is just rhetoric.Revoking article 50 is highly unlikely as well.