Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump and Iran

(21 Posts)
varian Sun 23-Jun-19 18:05:29

If only, all these years ago, the Labour Party had chosen David Milliband as leader, we might not now be in this dreadful state.

Dinahmo Sun 23-Jun-19 16:30:31

As David Miliband said this morning on Andrew Marr, Jeremy Hunt, as Foreign Secretary, should be trying to de-escalate the threat of war between America and Iran.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 23-Jun-19 10:21:32

USA at it again overnight. Cyber warfare.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 23-Jun-19 10:20:40

10 minutes apparently trisher

trisher Sun 23-Jun-19 10:05:18

So pleased we are sending someone to talk to the Iranians. Trump declaring that he has stopped an American attack was shocking. How close are we to another war?

ayse Thu 20-Jun-19 19:38:45

This is concerning.

Tony Blair had the WMD debacle and we went to war. It transpired that we went on the offensive on false information. Heaven forbid this should happen again.

Ask far as I can see Trump would have no hesitation in attacking Iran and may be seeking an opportunity to do just that. I do not condone the government in Iran but as Trisher says oil is never far off the agenda. Look back at WW2 and the British were in Iran ‘protecting’ the oil supply (my father included).

I’m just so suspicious that we are continually fed spun news to manipulate public opinion and I certainly do not wish to support Trump in any way, shape or form

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jun-19 18:32:41

Tehran is doing the hotting up---because Trump wouldn't pander to the nuclear deal like Obama did when he was in power so Trump withdrew the deal and reintroduced sanctions in Tehran last year.

varian Thu 20-Jun-19 16:39:58

Boris Johnson supporters in Iran

trisher Thu 20-Jun-19 12:36:42

GrannyGravy13 could you post an example of the "rhetoric" or is it simply something you assume from the media attitude? Although I concede that Iran has many practices which we would find completely unacceptable as far as I know they have never had any expansionist or aggressive attitudes towards other countries.
Never underestimate the power of oil supply as an instigator of aggression. The US never really recovered from losing Iran when their puppet Shah was deposed and the Ayatollah took over.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 19-Jun-19 14:48:00

trisher I think over the years that the rhetoric coming out of Iran has been "aggressive" in nature.

Not sure who would benefit from an increase of hostilities in the area, other than the price of oil will rocket sky high therefore lining the producing nations coffers, and in turn putting up prices of fuel and goods in general as transport costs would increase.

Many companies working on narrow profit margins would have no choice other than to pass on theses increases to the end user - the general public!!

Caledonai14 Wed 19-Jun-19 14:40:15

Yes Trisher you have put the case very well - at least we should stop and think about who benefits from the attacks on the tankers? Not Iran in their current situation, I suspect.

annodomini Wed 19-Jun-19 12:07:20

My thoughts entirely, trishr.

Grany Wed 19-Jun-19 11:23:42

Very good agree with your response trisher

trisher Wed 19-Jun-19 11:14:45

I always have doubts about something when it seems to confirm already established attitudes. Trump has been steadily eroding the rapport which was being developed between Iran and the west. It seems to me to be very much in his interests that the attack on the tankers be blamed on Iran. GrannyGravy13 I wonder why you call Iran "an outwardly aggressive regime"? As far as I know there is no evidence of other attacks, just this disputed one.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 19-Jun-19 10:38:33

Whilst caution is needed, if it is proven that Iran planted the limpet mines on the 2 oil tankers should world leaders stand by and do nothing?

I am not advocating “war” just genuinely interested to see if posters have an alternative way to deal with an outwardly aggressive regime.

EllanVannin Wed 19-Jun-19 10:19:18

Iran are resisting a war------at the moment anyway.

Grany Wed 19-Jun-19 09:42:22

I think the USA and U.K have been involved in a lot of wars so need to have take a cautious and a peaceful approach

EllanVannin Wed 19-Jun-19 09:31:14

There's been no threat of war from Iran's Ayatollah as he said that it wouldn't be in Trump's interests to have one.
Least of all with this country as Major General Chris Ghika also stated.

Then again it depends on Intelligence as to what or how things are interpreted in the USA and here.

Grany Wed 19-Jun-19 08:15:47

That's true paddyann we should not follow Trump though none of the Tories in election fiasco would not back a cautious approach.

A Tory the writer of this article gives Jeremy Corbyn his backing oneTory showing a bit of sense.

paddyann Tue 18-Jun-19 20:16:46

the UK must not back trump over an iran war ..he's been sabre rattling since he was elected and we all know a war is "good" for his economy but its unjustifiable and we need to say NO to trump or anyone else who says there sould be a war against Iran .

Grany Tue 18-Jun-19 20:06:47

Jeremy Corbyn urges caution

twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1140872436461768705?s=20