Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tell it how it is/Stand up for Britain

(21 Posts)
Elvive Wed 19-Jun-19 16:29:07

Could anybody tell me what they understand by the above, in real terms, with concrete examples.

Much obliged.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jun-19 16:32:13

I’m not really clear about the question. But here goes.

“It’s the economy stupid”

Without a thriving, robust and growing economy Britain is nothing.

Brexit should never happen.

EllanVannin Wed 19-Jun-19 16:32:29

Tell it how it is ? I daren't !

Elvive Wed 19-Jun-19 16:34:36

Well as long as you are breaking terms and conditions EV, I don't see why not?

Please go ahead.

Elvive Wed 19-Jun-19 16:37:01

The question WW, is that I have heard these 2 phrases a great deal as in admiration for BJ and NF. I am curious to know what they are telling that we are all fearful of uttering.

I would also like to know how they stand up for Britain and how I could do the same.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jun-19 16:47:47

Oh I see elvive

Tbh I couldn’t even begin to get into their mindset. Neither do I believe they know what they mean.

It is all so meaningless.

GabriellaG54 Wed 19-Jun-19 23:22:41

I thought that everyone on here had heard of Google...?

Elvive Thu 20-Jun-19 09:34:50

I expect they have but " tell it how it is" doesn't really help me.

Tell what? What is this great secret that the PC Brigade ( whoever they are) are preventing Joe Public from voicing?

Craicon Thu 20-Jun-19 09:40:58

Meaningless populist drivel that certain sections of society lap up. (Sun, Mail, Express, Telegraph readers in particular)

crystaltipps Thu 20-Jun-19 09:46:43

Just a load of meaningless soundbites which the sheep-like repeat ad nauseum. I see Trumps new catchphrase is “Keep America Great” ( cos he’s already “Made America Great Again “right?)

varian Thu 20-Jun-19 10:49:05

"leave means leave"
"brexit means brexit"
"respect the referendum"
"deliver brexit"
"will of the people"
"everyone just wants us to leave"
"sunlit uplands"
"global Britain"
"take back control of our borders"
"technological solution to Irish border"
"managed no-deal"

blah, blah, blah (or should that be baa, baa, baa?)

This nonsense should be called out every time it is repeated, instead of which interviewers continue to let it go unchallenged.

Urmstongran Thu 20-Jun-19 10:54:27

What an enjoyable self congratulatory thread this is for all you bitter Remainers.
?

WadesNan Thu 20-Jun-19 10:59:21

One of many Urmstongran

Elvive Thu 20-Jun-19 12:48:28

Where are the others ?

I would congratulate myself probably quietly if I achieved something, learnt something.

I don't congratulate myself on this appalling mess. It's all so sad.

I'm not a bitter Remainer. I think there were lots of things wrong with being part of the EU, including the money wasted. I would have welcomed a rational discussion and some clear information. Instead we got Cameron and the rest is history.

paddyann Thu 20-Jun-19 12:48:37

Ian Blackford told it how it is yesterday in Westminster...he was told he couldn't say Boris was racist or dishonest unless he'd informed Boris before hand.Of course Ian Blackford had followed the rules and he did tell Westminster ..to the usual booing and yelling and disgraceful behaviour of the people on the opposition benches ....THATS the folk voted for to run the the union .....if they were kids in a classroom they wouldn't get away with their behaviour so why is it allowed in Parliament?

MawBroonsback Thu 20-Jun-19 12:56:24

Soundbites are always superficial and rarely mean much.
However, they make for “good “ headlines

Remember
Gotcha (the sinking of the Belgrano)
The lady’s not for turning
The hand of history on my shoulder
The people’s princess
The queen of hearts
Ein Volk , ein Reich
I’m afraid Rule Britannia ranks alongside the others

GillT57 Thu 20-Jun-19 13:17:18

Elvive you sum it up perfectly I'm not a bitter Remainer. I think there were lots of things wrong with being part of the EU, including the money wasted. I would have welcomed a rational discussion and some clear information. Instead we got Cameron and the rest is history

You forgot the 'claiming back sovereignty' argument too. Sadly, a few people on voxpop interviews have confused the sovereignty of Parliament with the Queen somehow being asked to intervene and demand the delivery of Brexit. I shouldn't laugh..... but I do

Urmstongran Thu 20-Jun-19 13:20:00

Parliament is an adversarial institution on purpose. That’s why the benches are set out in that way to encourage healthy debate (yelling at your opponents).
?

GillT57 Thu 20-Jun-19 13:28:44

I don't have a problem with healthy debate Urmonstongran although it sometimes is rather unedifying to watch. The main problem at the moment is that we do not have a lot of input from the pathetic official opposition party who are supposed to play a part by calling out distortions, lies ( although not allowed to use that word!) and obfuscations by the governing party. I am thankful for Ian Blackford who is saying it as it is and is a more effective opposition than the insipid Labour benches.

GillT57 Thu 20-Jun-19 13:30:00

Getting back to the OP though, I play Brexit bingo when I watch QT, and award myself a point for every cliche. It doesn't take long to get a winning line.

varian Thu 20-Jun-19 13:32:37

You are right UG. The chamber of the HoC has government and opposition members sitting on benches three swords-lengths apart so it is intrinsically adversarial, but hopefully there is no actual blood shed.

Far from encouraging healthy debate, it leads to the sort of unedifying slanging match we see far to often, especially at PMQs.

Most civilised democracies elect representatives by PR and parties sit in a circular or semi-circular chamber which does encourage constructive debate, listening and finding concensus. This happens in the European Parliament, the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly.

I wish that instead of spending billions on refurbishing our parliament building we could start again with a reformed democracy and a new building, possibly in a new location. What we have now just isn't working.