Gransnet forums

News & politics

spoiled ballot papers in leadership election

(25 Posts)
Callistemon Fri 21-Jun-19 20:38:16

NONE OF THE ABOVE, THEY ARE ALL RUBBISH

Apologies for shouting !!

varian Fri 21-Jun-19 19:41:08

I think there may be quite a big number of Tory MPs who could have done that. Just remember the 3.5 million 2017 Tory voters who in 2016 voted to Remain in the EU. My guess is that number has increased and their MPs know that,.

Nanny27 Fri 21-Jun-19 19:19:37

jane10 ???

Jane10 Fri 21-Jun-19 17:55:48

I bet it was Theresa May writing 'bollocks to brexit' on her paper! Couldn't blame her.

EthelJ Fri 21-Jun-19 17:51:55

I'm very curious too. I would guess Ken Clarke and Dominic grieve because the only candidates left have said they will leave without a deal (which is quite mad imo). So there was no one left worth voting for.

Jabberwok Fri 21-Jun-19 16:44:01

T.M?!!!!!!!!!!! and?!!

lemongrove Fri 21-Jun-19 16:37:22

Perhaps they drew something rather rude on their ballot paper??

Cindersdad Fri 21-Jun-19 15:30:03

There was I think only one spoiled paper in the final found. Assuming that voting was mandatory and the MP really had no preference between Gove/Hunt/Johnson there would be not option but say "None of the above". Had their original preference been for Rory Stewart they had no one they liked to vote for. I'm surprised that more pro-Remain MP's did not spoil their papers. I hope that Hunt wins but it is a forlorn hope.

It needs to be a secret ballot so the few Tory MP's who think Brexit is a bad idea can avoid any witch hunt.

suziewoozie Fri 21-Jun-19 14:13:02

But if it’s true that there was some degree of ‘vote lending’ I would be critical of that as that is not using your vote properly is it? If it’s true that is - we’ll never know for sure of course but a lot of political commentators seem to be in agreement on this. Still don’t see why it has to be a secret ballot though.

grannyticktock Fri 21-Jun-19 14:04:50

Yes, I felt vaguely annoyed to hear that one person had spoiled their ballot. I'd want to say to them,"It's your party, your colleagues, your choice: we have to have one of them for PM, you can't just walk away! Choose!" If they really can't bring themselves to vote for any of their front-runners, maybe they should leave the party?

Tillybelle Fri 21-Jun-19 12:21:52

mernice. People have said much worse things to me! I don't think GiLLT57 was being rude to you, she was just being friendly and sort of jollying you along. Don't worry about people who disagree with you or with whom you disagree - it's what the discussion is all about!

Tillybelle Fri 21-Jun-19 12:17:14

I think it's a coward's way out - to spoil your vote paper.

Pippa22 Fri 21-Jun-19 11:42:57

Mernice, surely we are all equal contributors and if GillT57 chooses to put something you don’t approve of she is welcome to do so. I notice sometimes that people’s comments are not very kind, nothing to us getting older and not so tolerant I hope !

NanaSuzy Fri 21-Jun-19 11:41:08

I think that every ballot should be secret, but I think it is beneath contempt that MPs should spoil their papers in a parliamentary ballot. Democracy only works if everyone respects it; it's bad enough when members of the general public spoil their ballot papers - they're not parliamentarians - but maintaining the integrity of democracy is surely the day-job of MPs.

mernice Fri 21-Jun-19 10:40:14

GiLLT57 it’s that sort of little phrase at the end of your post that puts people off. Not necessary, you’d made your point.

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 21-Jun-19 10:25:42

I’ll bet it was Johnston writing ME ME ME !!!!!

winterwhite Fri 21-Jun-19 09:59:32

They were prob supporters of Javid or Stewart and just wrote Neither of the above - and who can blame them?

suziewoozie Fri 21-Jun-19 00:38:03

Who hasn’t speculated on this? However what I really wish is that it wasn’t a secret ballot - think how that would impact the dynamics within the parliamentary party

rafichagran Thu 20-Jun-19 22:46:04

I would like to know too.

GillT57 Thu 20-Jun-19 20:48:18

Of course not quizqueen it was an attempt at a humorous conversation. Lighten up

quizqueen Thu 20-Jun-19 20:38:30

Voting is a private affair. Do you want your name splashed across the media if you decide to spoil your ballot paper in an election.

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jun-19 20:31:02

It's a right rogues gallery.

kittylester Thu 20-Jun-19 20:26:49

And me!!

phoenix Thu 20-Jun-19 20:19:24

Agree! Nosey person, me!

GillT57 Thu 20-Jun-19 20:18:12

OK, so I can't be the only one who is intrigued by (a) who spoiled their ballot papers and (b) what they wrote.
I believe it was two spoiled in first ballot which dismissed Javed and then one spoiled in the second ballot which dismissed Gove. Wouldn't it be great to know! grin