Gransnet forums

News & politics

Politicians on TV

(38 Posts)
Dinahmo Sat 22-Jun-19 14:39:45

Should we ban politicians from tv programmes apart from the news and politics? I'm asking because I think HIGNIFY is to blame for Boris Johnson's popularity. His appearances were always entertaining and, as a result, many people admired him and some still do, despite everything we have learned about his misdemeanors.

Dinahmo Tue 25-Jun-19 22:13:35

I did have BJ in mind when I asked the question because I've heard so many people say how wonderful he is. Mind you, that was some months ago, before the current debacle. Nevertheless I do think that those appearances on HIGNIFY resulted in a lot of people liking him then and many of those still support him.

POGS Tue 25-Jun-19 20:28:06

Wheniwasyourage

No need to say sorry I wasn't making a personal comment to you or any poster , more making point of what the question in the OP was.

Mind you the OP possibly was only interested in singling out BJ being 'banned' from being allowed from being on t.v programmes and not as I mentioned Corbyn on Celebrity Goggle Box and the Last Leg or Vince Cable on Strictly.

eazybee Tue 25-Jun-19 17:34:40

Ginny42: 'he reminded me of a snake'.

Bridgeit Tue 25-Jun-19 14:40:43

Sadly it is often the case that people are drawn towards a loud, confident opinionated person , it is initially perceived as being strong , powerful & capable. Too late it is discovered that it’s all hot air & bulls- - t without any substance.
Rory Stewart didn’t stand a chance even though he has all the qualities & experience to do a good negotiating job.
It is a very unfortunate & negative trait in humans.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 25-Jun-19 14:18:36

Yes, you're right POGS, sorry, it's just that I am getting so fed up with the whole thing and can do nothing about it.

Keeping Boris Johnson off TV of any kind is a tempting thought, but it seems a bit OTT to keep them all off everything. They should be able to speak about things other than their own party politics on programmes like HIGNFY, at least if they are the well-rounded human beings that we should want our leaders to be. Hum...

POGS Tue 25-Jun-19 11:12:55

The question in the OP wasn't asking about the likes of the Andrew Made show which is obviously news/political .

The question was:-

" Should we ban politicians from tv programmes apart from the news and politics? "

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 10:56:26

I see no point in the televised debates either When - it's not as if the majority of us have a vote on this.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 25-Jun-19 08:48:15

When it comes to politicians on TV, what annoys me is that these TV 'debates' are supposed to be taking place at all. What is the point, when the electorate for the Tory leadership is so small. Let them condemn themselves out of their own mouths on news programmes or interview programmes such as Andrew Marr's one, but spare us the staged 'debates'! Thank goodness for the Off button.

(Sorry if that has been said before on one of the Politics threads; normally I avoid them.)

Anniebach Tue 25-Jun-19 08:43:52

David Milliband would have been Party leader and possibly PM, he was ahead in the leadership contest until the union vote gave Ed Milliband the leadership.

Ginny42 Tue 25-Jun-19 08:33:23

eazybee what is wrong with your eyes? You looked at David Milliband and saw a snake? Bizarre!

LullyDully Tue 25-Jun-19 08:22:26

(Am I the only one who had to Google hignify?)

specki4eyes Mon 24-Jun-19 21:51:36

The only hope now is that when all these sad, deluded people see what a charlatan Bojo the Clown is as he destroys the UK, the Conservative Party, democracy, and a political system which, even though imperfect, we could generally trust.....he will disappear from political life and will never surface again. Some hopes!
I know a journalist who had the misfortune to work on the same newsdesk back in BoJos junior reporter days. He was deemed a joke then and in the words of the Maybot, "nothing has changed".

gillybob Mon 24-Jun-19 12:29:10

David Milliband is the best PM we never had

I totally agree with you Specki4eyes. He might have even thought about the North East too.

eazybee Mon 24-Jun-19 11:36:20

I find 'Desert Island Discs' far more informative; I have changed my mind about several people I previously disliked after listening to them on there, and vice versa.

I frequently press the mute button when politicians are speaking and did exactly that with D. Miliband yesterday, and sorry to offend you, Annodomini, he reminded me even more of a snake; something to do with the position and movement of the head and flicker of the eyes.

specki4eyes Mon 24-Jun-19 11:06:22

Annodomini. Totally agree with you. David Milliband is the best PM we never had. Oh if only dark moves hadn't scuppered his bid way back then.
As for the Buffoon BoJo, I mean PLEASE! EVERYONE! Look at his eyes and body language. He has LIAR writ large all over himself. He even makes Nigel Farage look acceptable...of course I jest!
Our beloved country is doomed when these people are options for PM. Third World here we come.
Pass me my tin hat please.

annodomini Mon 24-Jun-19 10:51:32

When Andrew Marr interviews politicians, I often turn the sound off and watch their body language. You can tell a lot from that.
An exception yesterday was his interview with David Milliband who was speaking in his role as chief executive of the International Rescue Committee and very depressing it was. He has coined the term 'the age of impunity'.
However, he was also asked his opinion on Brexit which, as you may imagine, was entirely negative. He called it a 'wrecking ball' and supported the call for a second referendum.
I recommend that you find the Andrew Marr Show on I-Player - the interview is near the start, just after the review of the newspapers. Some of you may agree that this is the man who should have been our prime minister.

M0nica Mon 24-Jun-19 10:06:25

I never see politicians on tv, not because, as Callistemen suggests, I use the off switch. I just never use the 'on' switch.

Anniebach Sun 23-Jun-19 21:20:52

Many politicians have appeared on HIGNFY

Callistemon Sun 23-Jun-19 21:18:16

Perhaps they should all stick to the day job.

POGS Sun 23-Jun-19 21:11:46

Dinahmo

Do you also include the likes of Lib Dem Vince Cable on Strictly Come Dancing, Conservative Ruth Davidson on Celebrity Great British Bake Off, Labour Jeremy Corbyn on the Last Leg /Celebrity Goggle Box?

If your OP question is not just to have a dig at one politician but politicians in general then I don't have a problem with politicians being on programmes outside of the News and Politics .

Callistemon Sun 23-Jun-19 18:12:41

I've got an 'off' switch on my tv.

I can recommend it.

varian Sun 23-Jun-19 18:09:20

So true Monica That seems to be the view of almost everyone who has ever worked with BJ.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 23-Jun-19 18:08:32

monica everyone says that. He must be bad

M0nica Sun 23-Jun-19 18:07:28

I was talking to a friend who moves in circles where she meets people who know BJ. They said that under all that joviality is a really unpleasant and nasty man that you wouldn't trust further than you can see him with your eyes shut

GracesGranMK3 Sat 22-Jun-19 19:01:35

I'm wondering if all the other parties will get the same airtime that the Tories are?