Gransnet forums

News & politics

Frogmore ... some ‘cottage’!

(281 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 25-Jun-19 09:45:08

Apparently it was 5 dwellings now knocked into one luxurious dwelling for Harry and Meghan at a cost of almost £3 million - and its not quite finished yet!

I think public funding of the royal family should have a cap on it after the third heir to the throne, being Prince William.

We have a monarch, plus two spares. After that point, an allowance should be paid per official function performed, with a clothing and travel allowance permitted.

The balance of their funds should be privately funded by themselves in whatever way they choose- trust fund, hand outs from other family members or, gasp, actually work for it! Enough is enough of this royal gravy train.

What do others feel?

Anniebach Sun 30-Jun-19 19:35:26

True Jabber

And charities want them as patrons , it brings in more money. The Prince of Wales Trust has the support of many wealthy celebrities, and so many young people have been helped to find work.

The crowds turned out in Scotland last week for the Queen.

Jabberwok Sun 30-Jun-19 19:06:32

While people love the monarchy and they draw the crowds (and they still do even in Scotland) the monarchy will continue! When they cease to be interesting to everyday folk, then they'll cease to be relevant. Our RF is loved,both here and abroad by millions of people. Republicans,eat your hearts out, I think you've got a long wait ahead of you before the end of this institution however much you rail against it!!

Alexa Sun 30-Jun-19 18:48:08

The Windsors have lots of opportunities to demonstrate frugality and be a good example to their subjects. I wish they , at least the younger ones, would take the moral lead in this and show they do so.

The cost of the paraphernalia of state occasions must be paid for , as the Windsors are well worth the cost to the public purse. But what a shame if they come to be perceived as just another lot of silly aristocrats with inflated tastes.

annep1 Sat 29-Jun-19 22:19:20

Oh dear I meant to be off lol!

annep1 Sat 29-Jun-19 22:18:37

One can only hope!

gillybob Sat 29-Jun-19 22:13:48

The sooner the better annepl

annep1 Sat 29-Jun-19 21:53:15

And so it goes on. Having a monarchy is wrong. Cromwell being wrong doesn't make it right. Bridgeit that is so true unfortunately. . Like Paddyann I am off! Some day the scales will fall...

SirChenjin Sat 29-Jun-19 20:25:37

gilly - unfortunately a belief in a god does not necessarily mean that you uphold the values written about in the various holy texts. You just need look at the various religions and their heads across the world to see that.

Anniebach Sat 29-Jun-19 20:22:04

Exactly Urmstongran the Church is there for all and no one who attends Church should be judged on how often or how rarely they attend or why they attend .

Lessismore Sat 29-Jun-19 20:21:09

Thankfully I am loosely aligned to a faith group and the word hypocrite has not come up so far..
We move on , we progress and evolve. Namaste.

Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 20:16:54

Can’t atheists enter a church? I have, for funerals of loved ones who had faith. And attended baptisms for the joyous gathering of family who again had faith, even though I had none.

Anniebach Sat 29-Jun-19 19:56:14

gilly you have attended church , no point in continuing this.

gillybob Sat 29-Jun-19 19:54:15

I have seen hundreds of photos and news clips of the royals attending church which leads me to believe they are “ regular church goers “ hardly the same is it? Were they married in church? Christened? Do they regularly attend ? Did they have their children christened ? I think they would have us all believe they are Christians or else they’re doing a good job of pretending.

eazybee Sat 29-Jun-19 19:53:53

And Annepl, Cromwell and his Puritans attempted to overthrow the monarchy and killed the king; they seized the royal assets but used them to pay the army, not to help the poor. They made such a mess of governing the country that eleven years later they had to invite the monarchy back.
There are a fair few New Puritans operating on here expressing similar intentions, and I fear they would make as big a mess of Government as their predecessors.

eazybee Sat 29-Jun-19 19:42:30

The fascinating new interpretation (American) of the parable of the widow's mite on the internet is followed immediately by an invitation to join a Free Course and get 'Tips to put more money in your pocket and Biblical principles on managing your money well.' Just click on the link. No address given..... but I am sure it is reliable source.

The Duchy of Lancaster is the private estate of the Sovereign and its principal purpose is to provide an independent income for the sovereign and future sovereigns. The sovereign is unable to sell the estate's assets, and pays tax on the income.

mumofmadboys Sat 29-Jun-19 19:31:55

Compared to so many people throughout the world we are all rich beyond compare. We all need to think about our charitable giving

Anniebach Sat 29-Jun-19 19:21:19

gilly you claim the royal family are Christians because you have seen them attend church, you have attended church but not a Christian so because you told a priest this you are not a hypocrite ?

When have you heard any member of the royal family with
the exception of the queen speak of their faith or lack of faith ?

They attend church , you have attended church , you are not a hypocrite, they are ?

Bridgeit Sat 29-Jun-19 19:19:37

The ethos of Communism was for all to be equal, hmmm that didn’t work did it.
It is not wither or not we have Royalty, it is the whole sorry sad situation of inequality throughout the entire world,
What are the answers , ?perhaps sterilisation for a couple of generations ? ( that would not help in reality ) or perhaps one child per couple as in China ?

gillybob Sat 29-Jun-19 19:04:33

I went to my grandmas funeral Annie I even read a eulogy . She was a devout Catholic and I told the priest that I was not a Christian ( apparently my grandma has already tipped him off ? and I suspect she prayed for my lost soul too ). He was fine with it and said admired my honesty. I have only ever been to a church service to support DGD2 when she was in Brownies. I am lots of things but I’m not a hypocrite .

Bridgeit Sat 29-Jun-19 19:04:32

The whole world & where we are at now is the accumulation of history !!!!!!!

annep1 Sat 29-Jun-19 19:02:07

It doesn't actually matter what good they do or how difficult a time the queen had when she camd to the throne. It doesn't excuse having a monarchy! I think people need to read some history books.

Bridgeit Sat 29-Jun-19 18:57:01

There are pop stars, business people , rich people , people in all walks of life, many of whom do what is within their own remit to help others. Some don’t bother at all. Love or hate the RF but no need to ignore the good they do & only focus entirely on the negatives.

Bridgeit Sat 29-Jun-19 18:50:28

Most support charities or are Patrons of charities.

Anniebach Sat 29-Jun-19 18:49:21

Have you ever been to Church gilly ?

gillybob Sat 29-Jun-19 18:49:15

There is being well off and then there’s the rf who are dripping with wealth.