Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can a seven year old be a 'social power'?

(63 Posts)
trisher Tue 25-Jun-19 19:01:35

Harper Beckham has come fourth in the Tatler Social Power Index. She apparently "Jets between the LA, London and the Cotswolds.". I don't think any 7 year old should be lauded like this and I certainly wouldn't want it for my GD. It seems to me to be a form of child cruelty to drag a child to social events when they should be digging holes, learning to skip and chasing around.
www.standard.co.uk/insider/royalssociety/tatler-social-power-list-reveals-the-cambridges-are-more-popular-than-the-beckhams-and-sussexes-a4174831.html

merlotgran Thu 27-Jun-19 23:10:46

Thank you, paddyann. Up and down but we're mostly doing OK. Kind of you to ask.

paddyann Thu 27-Jun-19 23:07:46

Hi* Merlot* hope you and the family are all doing OK ,early days I know .Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you all.

Callistemon Thu 27-Jun-19 23:06:01

and thousands of people have 'jetted over' to watch the football.
I expect it's worth a £60 fine to see that although if she's at a private school, they probably won't be fined. Relatives living overseas are astonished by the fines imposed here!

Well done to the England team!

Callistemon Thu 27-Jun-19 23:04:02

I would like to hear about the Beckham children doing some voluntary work - spoilt, rich kids!
She's 7!
Do you want her to go and cook in a soup kitchen?

merlotgran Thu 27-Jun-19 22:12:42

She might decide on a career in football and encourage other young girls to follow their dream.

On the other hand she might turn into an eco-warrior.

It's her life.

trisher Thu 27-Jun-19 22:10:15

So they jetted to France for the football. Shouldn't she be at school anyway? I just wonder if she will one day turn into an eco-warrior and castigateher parents for their lifestyle.

merlotgran Thu 27-Jun-19 21:30:31

And Margs, I think your comment is cruel.

merlotgran Thu 27-Jun-19 21:29:58

Lovely shots of Harper with her dad at the England v Norway match tonight.

As I've said upthread, she always looks like a happy little girl.

Margs Thu 27-Jun-19 11:21:55

But the Beckhams aren't a family - they're a Brand!

Corporate consumerism trying to masquerade as the Waltons.......

Glammy57 Wed 26-Jun-19 20:37:42

We have become such a shallow society. I would like to hear about the Beckham children doing some voluntary work - spoilt, rich kids!

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 20:32:12

I must say, she looks like a rather nice little girl.
Let's hope she doesn't change.

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 20:30:33

sarahellenwhitney
I'm not so sure - she will be going to school like other 7 year olds, going on holiday like many other children her age; they may be wealthy but I expect she plays football with her Dad (like many other girls), plays with her brothers - it's all much the same for well-cared for children, rich or poor.
She will notice when she's older, of course.

Day6 Wed 26-Jun-19 20:08:08

Cant abide people who use their children in this way ,Posh and Becks have been doing his since their first was born

I agree paddyann I dislike the Beckhams who use photos of their children and their activities to keep themselves in the news. Their children are famous for doing what exactly?

I always see Posh Spice as a social climber of the very worse sort. They seem desperate not to lose the limelight. They also seem to have a need for people to see the Beckham family as some sort of royal family with elevated status.. They may have money but they lack class and I imagine their fast growing children, who now trade on their names, are despised in many professional circles.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 26-Jun-19 19:53:00

Callistemon
Quote '.leads a relatively normal day' ?
I do not believe Harper will ever know' normal'.
This will also apply to many other children who have million/billionaire parents.

Mapleleaf Wed 26-Jun-19 14:58:00

Oops, “whose” not “who’s”!

Mapleleaf Wed 26-Jun-19 14:49:29

Tatlers list? Just stupid - there are far more important things going on in the world to write about than to waste print a on producing such a useless list. Just who’s ego is being massaged?

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 13:44:32

Yes, she is probably completely unaware that she is a 'social power'!

merlotgran Wed 26-Jun-19 13:43:16

Harper Beckham always looks happy. She is clearly adored by her older brothers and photos of her riding her pony show how much she is enjoying life.

I would imagine all her jetting about takes place in the school holidays just like any other kids with mega rich parents.

This social power index is daft but I should think Harper's influence does wonders for the kids' fashion industry.

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 13:43:07

I intend to ask 7 year old DGD (herself a 'human dynamo') what she thinks of Harper Beckham.
If she asks 'who' I will be very relieved.

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 13:41:13

Sting is completely the opposite, mean old man.

Sheilasue Wed 26-Jun-19 13:22:34

I don’t think any of that family leads a normal life.
The oldest boy doesn’t work has done a photography course but was homesick. I can understand in some ways the parents are concerned for their safety, but they need to have
Something to do in their lives. They are extremely wealthy but so is sting and his wife and there children have always had to build their own lives.

Paperbackwriter Wed 26-Jun-19 12:30:57

So the parents have 3 homes. Is this a problem for anyone here? Really? Can we stop criticising others for how they live? My daughters were at school with the Jagger children. On paper they would also have looked as if they were 'jetting' between several homes but in reality they simply went to school like everyone else. In the holidays they went elsewhere, like other people do (only to their own homes, not rentals or hotels!)

MaggieMay69 Wed 26-Jun-19 12:23:06

I will never forget my DD telling me about a girl at the school she was working at about two years ago, she had started self harm, it was minor luckily and they nipped it in the bud, but the reason she gave was because she would never ever be a famous child, no-one would like her on Instagram like the Kardashians, and her life would be perfect if she had celeb parents who would get her 'likes'. and she wasn't alone.
So many youngsters don't want jobs, they want to be influencers on instagram, getting thousands for sweet fanny adams. Its sad.

Tillybelle Wed 26-Jun-19 12:05:18

What is "Social Power" and who is "Harper Beckham"?

Aepgirl Wed 26-Jun-19 11:02:43

This child should be a ‘child’ not a fashion statement. Perhaps she could get her mother to smile occasionally!