Gransnet forums

News & politics

"If the UK leaves the EU but remains in the single market or the customs union, then the British government would have to implement the new EU Anti Tax Avoidance Directive, which is why Boris Johnso

(19 Posts)
jura2 Tue 09-Jul-19 21:05:09

Do you think I am not aware of this? Yes, we are experiencing a double whammy - not pleasant. But nothing in comparison to the situation in the UK, for sure.

Davidhs Mon 08-Jul-19 17:14:59

The Swiss have their own problems with referendums and EU unpopularity. But a “no deal” relationship with the Swiss would make Brexit seem trivial.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 08-Jul-19 15:57:14

If the press is to be believed over the weekend, Switzerland is having its own problems with EU, regarding ratification of several treaties.

jura2 Mon 08-Jul-19 15:23:31

then Johno, this is what honest Leave politicians should have campaigned on. But they didn't - Farage said we would be like Norway and Switzerland ... others promised a very great and easy deal, others said no-one but no-one would even consider leaving the Customs Union and Single Market - they said the Deal would be great, we held all the cards, they need us mor then we need them ... and on, and on.

NO ONE EVER CAMPAIGNED ON THE BASIS WE WOULD LEAVE WITHOUT A DEAL- A GREAT ONE AT THAT.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 08-Jul-19 13:37:06

abide by not avoid

GracesGranMK3 Mon 08-Jul-19 13:36:31

If you stay in the Customs Union and Single Market by this very act you have NOT left the EU. So I really can not see the substance of your question it is perverse. (Sun 07-Jul-19 07:29:04)

Nice little sound bite but simply not true although some people seem to have been persuaded it is. It is usually followed the the the sound biter saying "and we would still have to avoid their rules."

Whose rules? If we haven't left by leaving the EU by maintaining a Customs Union and Single Market they would be our rules. But they would not be our rules; they would be the rules of the EU over which we have no say BECAUSE WE WOULD HAVE LEFT MEMBERSHIP OF THE EUROPEAN UNION!

The question we all answered was "should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union". No matter what anyone says that is all we voted on.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Jul-19 13:17:43

Well said Johno

Dinahmo Sun 07-Jul-19 13:00:41

Day6 Look at the ownership of the papers. The Torygraph is owned by the Barclay Brothers whose residence is Sark and Monaco. I doubt whether they actually live in Monaco since it's full of empty tower blocks with little brass nameplates on the doors.

Johno Sun 07-Jul-19 07:29:04

If you stay in the Customs Union and Single Market by this very act you have NOT left the EU. So I really can not see the substance of your question it is perverse.

jura2 Sun 30-Jun-19 18:37:36

Surely Day6, you don't expect the Conservatives, nor the 'Right-Wing' Press, to publish articles to that effect. And yes, most articles on Tax Evasion, totally understandably, come from Remain sites and pro fair taxation groups.

This one is from the London Economics:

www.thelondoneconomic.com/opinion/the-brexit-undertones-of-the-eus-impending-anti-tax-avoidance-legislation/21/06/

MaizieD Sun 30-Jun-19 18:26:00

Strange that it's only "just become clear" too, isn't it?

No, it's been said right from the start, just as jura said. I've come across it time and time again on twitter over the last three years.

Though as it was due to be implemented in the UK from April 2019 and we are still a member state I'm unclear as to whether it has been implemented or not.

jura2 Sun 30-Jun-19 17:34:15

My post says it was clear from the start.

Day6 Sun 30-Jun-19 17:27:22

Jura - what's your source?

It wouldn't be from a left wing, Remain-voting journalist would it, by any chance? Hmmm? hmm

Strange that it's only "just become clear" too, isn't it?

I think the Remain and left wing hysterical attempts at character assassination are not only obvious but becoming frantic! grin

sits back to watch even more slurs fill the N&P forum

petra Sun 30-Jun-19 17:18:40

As the saying goes it takes a thief to catch a thief
As Prime minister of Luxembourg ( and finance minister ?) Jean Claude Juncker was very good at 'advising' multi nationals on how best to evade ( sorry I meant avoid ?) paying their fair share of taxes.

MaizieD Sun 30-Jun-19 16:59:43

Better than dipping into the gold reserves and selling them for coppers, eh

As our currency hasn't been pegged to the gold standard since the early 1970s the sale of the gold reserves made no difference to the state of our economy or the value of the pound.

Can you explain what the fuss was about, EV?

Whereas selling off the NHS has massive implications for our future health provision and the probability of it staying free at the point of need. How can that be better than selling off the gold?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 30-Jun-19 15:27:15

Or Labours plans for "a garden tax" which would hit a lot of pensioners, along with them wanting to tax the profit people make when they sell their homes................

EllanVannin Sun 30-Jun-19 15:19:00

Better than dipping into the gold reserves and selling them for coppers, eh, eazybee-------like Brown did. Now that was criminal !

eazybee Sun 30-Jun-19 15:07:40

Because we obviously do not have your powers of foreseeing the future.
And of course, only Conservative supporters ever commit tax fraud.

jura2 Sun 30-Jun-19 14:36:07

that was clear right from the start. Brexit has only one aim for ERG and friends. Oh and the sale of the NHS and other 'utilities'.

How can people not see that, is beyond me!